What The Hell Is That?!

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ranch I helped out had to de-worm the cattle. We used that control device to insert the deworming substance. Like catching a fish on light test line, tension needs to be maintained so that an angry animal does not get slack and yank their nose off.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was reading some martial art training material and you can use a flashlight and a thumb to squeeze someone's nose and pull them along. I think it was a police technique once a person is cuffed.

DSC_2255.jpg

Monocrom

Flashaholic
That's a Yawara stick.
Did a review on the police training manual for my YouTube channel awhile back. Several decades upon decades ago, it was introduced as a police compliance tool. With a small Indiana police agency actually adopting it. Problem was, the techniques to use it effectively are overly complicated, and put officers far too close to a suspect for comfort. So, it never really caught on beyond a handful of departments in America.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
What manual? Sounds interesting. Kel-Lite also made "Judo Head" tailcaps for their flashlights with the same ribbed design, and less famously Pro-Light made a similar yawara stick with a built-in penlight called the Mini-Light.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a great way to get stabbed if the assailant has a knife in the right hand. That's too close without having more control of the arm and leg that can still easily reach you. Better to manipulate a hand or arm to make them submit.

Grabbing their hand flat with their elbow straight and pinky side of the hand on top, with your pinkies gripped at the top of their wrist and your thumbs gripped across at the webbing of their thumbs, rotate your hand in place, putting downward pressure at the top of the their wrist and upward pressure at the webbing of their thumbs. Continue rotating the hand to point their pinky toward their face. As you do this, lower your arms and step back, keeping their arm straight or hyperextended. Lower them to the ground. You can do this gently or hard, your choice.

Next, take their hand next to their body, starting at the ground. Bring their arm up next to their shoulder (perpendicular to the ground) and place your knee up against their arm on the side with the elbow (making sure they can't bend their arm). Press their hand down lightly so it is parallel with the ground, palm facing down. For right hand, rotate hand clockwise until it can't rotate anymore. For left hand, rotate hand counterclockwise until it can't rotate anymore. Then with two thumbs on their first two knuckles (not the ones on the fingers) and the rest of your hands wrapped around the bottom of the their hand, press down to make them submit. This puts painful pressure on the tendons in the arm, but causes no damage.

The assailant stays at arm's reach the whole time. If they try to attack you during the first move, they can potentially break their own arm. In the second move, they are face down with an arm painfully locked up where any movement can be dealt with by causing them more pain that causes no damage.

These moves are not a substitution for martial arts training. They are merely a better example of what can be done to make someone submit. Remember, in a defensive situation, you still need to have the skills and training to block the attack first or escape a grab and possibly follow up with your own attacks before you can think about submission moves. The first lesson usually taught to a white belt is distancing. Know how far the bad guy can reach you from, and stay out of that range. That picture shows they've never been taught that lesson.

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
ILL advised post that can get someone in serious trouble, conceivably including hooked on fenix.
What part of, get proper training first, which I was pointing out in the last paragraph, did you misunderstand as ill advised or could get me or someone else in serious trouble? I gave an example of how to keep an attacker at a safer distance, control them to the ground, and keep them at bay until help arrives. Again, last paragraph is a big disclaimer to get proper training first.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
HoF do you really think your wordy description how to disable an opponent is going to actually help someone?

Why did you post that? Are you ok with hateful people using your advice to hurt others?

You do not know (?) that most people will not commit repeated practice with the kind of 'training' you gave, and therefore put themselves in a worse condition trying to pull off your fanciful play-fighting? Give me a break.

No one was trying to say that thumb/flashlight pinch was practical for us. Letschat even mentioned it was suggested to be used after handcuffs applied. Looks like it was primarily a ploy to sell something.

No shortage of big shot online martial art 'masters' stroking their egos this day and age.

Spyderco forums has a thread on martial arts. A person can go play over there:

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
What the hell is this old thing? 😁 not very versa and certainly not brite.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    865.3 KB · Views: 60