3 or 5 mm LED that I can put in an E1e?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hear there is a way you can put a 3 or 5mm LED on the lamp assembly housing that comes with E1e. Maybe even with a driver board. So I guess I would need a really bright/WHITE 3 or 5mm LED and some kind of driver board or at least a buck circuit.

Would that SMJLED 2 be a could candidate?

Maybe thats' something we could build here at CPF!

Last edited:

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
KDOG3 said:
I hear there is a way you can put a 3 or 5mm LED on the lamp assembly housing that comes with E1e. Maybe even with a driver board. So I guess I would need a really bright/WHITE 3 or 5mm LED and some kind of driver board or at least a buck circuit.

If the LED has a low enough Vf, then a driver is not necessary. See this thread (scroll down).

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
OH YEAH. Thats' what I'm looking for. PUH-LEEZE tell me how to do that. I'm interested in a setup that is more throw. I've got questions for ya!

What do you suppose the output is in general numbers? Compared to the stock bulb? Compared to that SMJLED 2 if you happen to know? Hows' the output plateau/regulation if any?

What LED module did you get? Any recommendations as to what to get regarding the LED considering what I want? Which is I would like it to be brighter than the stock bulb but doesn't have to be P60 bright. Don't think it will be anyway.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
The mod that I did has much less output than the stock lamp. The goal was to have something with a lot of runtime and decent output, not to have a replacement with equivalent output or throw to the normal E1e. (Use the KL1 for that.) Also, this mod is completely reversible, whereas a Luxeon or other large LED is too wide for the hole in the stock reflector.

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I doubt you'll find a single 3mm or 5mm LED that will compete with the stock lamp purely on brightness. I'm thinking of modding a SMJLED to go in my ExE head, but it will be strictly for runtime and zero heat production. I don't know if the new SMJLED 2 will work for this or not, as it appears to be connected to a small driver board that may keep it from going far enough into the bezel to focus correctly. I'm using the fivemega bipin adapter he made for strion bulbs to seat the LED. I'll need to buy a new cut SMJLED because all the ones I have right now are trimmed to fit in minimags and the leads aren't quite long enough to let it sit up in the bezel enough to focus correctly. Although the SMJLED is not as bright, what is the runtime of the MN01 in a E1E? I've got a funny feeling the difference in brightness will be made up for several times over in runtime.

schiesz

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dangit! I guess I would have to send it to one of the modders' here to get what I want done. I'm still going to get the E1e. But now I have to decide if I should get the black HA or the standard HA since if the head gets screwed up it would be harder to find the black HA...