What do you love about flashlights?

CPFn00b

Newly Enlightened
OK, I'm kind of new here (read: extreme n00b), and I've got a rather naive question. I'll preface it by saying that I'm not trying to start a flame war or intice any anger, I'm honestly curious and trying to learn more about flashlights; I have a friend who's very into them and I'd like to understand it all better. I tried browsing around the forums a bit, but I can't find any similar questions around (I know it sucks to have new people ask the same thing over and over), and I think it's nice to hear answers from different perpectives. So, here goes:

Short version:

What do you love so much about flashlights? As someone new, trying to increase my knowledge, I need more information about differences, both in functionality and usefulness. But there most be some underlying allure that flashlights have for people to devote so much time and energy (and money) to them (I'm not saying it's a bad thing). What is it for you?

Long version:

Electronics I can get. Technology is changing rapidly enough that by the time the product is shipped to your door, it's often outdated. In a few months, something new and improved (cheaper, smaller, lighter, has more features) comes out, which must also be aquired (though the old one must be disposed of, which seems a waste - at least old-model flashlights are still usable).

I (mostly) undersand multi-tools. You search for something that has the features you want, and an appropriate size/weight(/cost). Usually you can't find exactly the right combination, so you get a few. Knives are a bit harder, there are different sizes and shapes, but other than collecting for collecting's sake, there are enough choices out there that I'm not clear on reasons for having a lot (but let's keep away from that for this post). I'll add, though, that I can understand getting them for design and craftsmanship (similar to watches or pens, though I don't personally have a passion for them).

Flashlights are a bit of a mystery to me. Granted, there's power, LED/bulb flood/throw, battery life, build/material, and size/weight (as always). I'd like to know more about the differences, but those seem the main ones. To me, pick a few for different uses, and sizes, and that's enough. From browsing around (for example an EDC thread), some people seem to be carrying upwards of six flashlights at at time, and they aren't trifles either. I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for," but to me (and I admit I'm not knowledgeable here) $90+ seems like a lot for a flashlight. What's the appeal, what's the charm? I understand having a few, and it's great to always be Prepared, but what's the pull that keeps you coming back for more?

Feel free to point me to websites if I'm too uninformed, but I'm still interested in opinions. I always find it useful to reflect on what, specifically, I enjoy about the things I'm passionate about). And finally, I'll reiterate that my intent here is not to start an argument or make people defensive about their love of flashlights. I mean no offense by my ignorance and curiosity. Rather I want to learn more, so that perhaps I can appreciate them more, as well.

Thanks for your time and answers (and reading this far!).

Mike Rivera

Newly Enlightened
Wow - great post. I'm also new here and curious about the same things.

I own several MagLites from the past: three 2-Ds and one 6-D (see, after only a few days on this site, I'm learning the lingo). I came to this site after searching on Google after seeing a Surefire display in a sports store and was intrieged by the cool look and performance (I got to play with a few at the store, but of course they wouldn't turn off the store lights for me).

After reading more here, I ordered a Surefire U2 two days ago and hope it arrives tomorrrow. Based on what I read, it seemed like a great place to start.

Then yesterday, after visiting this site again, I ordered two LED upgrades for two of my 2-D MagLites. Oh, oh, I'm sensing a problem begining :sssh: I can hear my wife now, "... now what's he getting into this time?"

Not sure if I keep buying, but I'm kind of excited to get the U2 and see what all the fuss is about.

Of course, this is how I started collecting watches a few years ago and now I've got thousands invested.

- Mike

Last edited:

vic303

Enlightened
Because it is the safest way to drive away the dark...Seriously, there is something cool about being able to say "Let there be light!" and suddenly, there is light!

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Short answer: for the first 2 or 4 there is a functional reason. A little one to carry around with you; a bigger one for more light, maybe some in between.

After that, the flashlight happens to be a toy which tickles some part of some peoples' brains that is fascinated by shiny, usually metallic, gadgets that combine form, function (they provide a function, even if you don't need it anymore...), design focus, intricacy, and technology. The same part of the brain is usually also tickled by guns and knives so you see a lot of that around here.

Flashlights have the same potential purity of form and function and subtle delineations of quality common to these fascinations, and it is less worrisome to others than guns, anyway. We find "reasons" for many, many lights (walking the dog light, searching behind the sofa light, etc.), but even without any reasons, we just appreciate having them...

Because it tickles that part of the brain, people start buying (and comparing, and tweaking, and discussing) more of them to experience a wider range of the tickling. For some, the tickle is so strong that we allocate a truly impressive fraction of our disposable income to it. Others, less so, it depends.

I think this tickle exists for a lot of people for different things. Many are incomprehensible to me but I respect the idea of having the tickle, which all collectors share in common.

If you don't have the flashlight tickle (look hard now...::)), maybe you have some other tickle, and this is just another flavor of that...

Last edited:

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF,

The thing I love about Flashlights is the modern technology employed,
leds, boost circuits, the ability to see in the dark.

ericg533

Newly Enlightened
Many flashlights are beautiful examples of high quality engineering. (SureFire)

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
I work in the dark alot, mostly, they keep me from bumping into things.
Then there is the other side of the coin, If I am going to carry a light for work every day, why would I pick a big heavy one? Technology keeps my pockets light (in more ways than one) and of all the tools I used to carry my light is no longer a burden..
I can't help but reflect on the days when I carried a Maglight for work... Big freaking chunk of aluminum with no valuable output..

lightplay22

Enlightened
I have liked playing with flashlights and knives since early childhood. Living in a small rural town with so so electrical supply, I never wanted to be left in the dark during a storm. Now I use lights for a variety of needs in my work and around the house and shop. I've always been a fan of finely crafted tools and gadgets that are useful, dependable, and just plain fun to have and use. Latest "investment" is a Surefire C3, which I like to hold, look at, and light up the back yard at night. LOL

Mad1

Enlightened
skalomax said:
Its about the brightness and wonders of how much light comes out a little torch. Lights are simply awesome!

I would say the same for me too.

I just like to see things in the dark. They also have practical applications too, like when I go camping or have to take the dog for a walk at night It's nice to have something so I can see.

Apex007

Newly Enlightened
Pumaman said:
Former Eagle Scout. Motto: Be Prepared

Ditto

Troop 284, Eagle in 1992 (yeesh, I'm gettin old)

There are three things I always carry with me, always. A swiss army knife, a flashlight, and a lighter. With that you can create shelter, heat, and light pretty much anywhere you end up.

I think that should be the standard toolbelt for everyone.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't understand the collecting thing either. All my things have a use, and when they don't I sell them, give them away, or throw them out. As to flashlights, try changing a broken U-joint on a truck @ 3 am in a downpour. Or tracking an 11 year old boy who ran away from his parents while camping and hasn't been seen for five hours, which is three hours after dark and two and a half hours since the temperature dropped below 20F.

Oh yes, flashlights are a goooooooooood thing to have.

Welcome to CPF! :buddies:

Illum

Flashaholic
something tells me you havent contracted the virus yet....flee from the site before its too late....

Welcome to CPF! :wave: [I know, i contradicted myself]

Simply the ability to produce light....without flashlights in this world
you betcha Ill be EDCing hurricane laterns and plumber's candles

nerdgineer said:
Short answer: for the first 2 or 4 there is a functional reason. A little one to carry around with you; a bigger one for more light, maybe some in between.

After that, the flashlight happens to be a toy which tickles some part of some peoples' brains that is fascinated by shiny, usually metallic, gadgets that combine form, function (they provide a function, even if you don't need it anymore...), design focus, intricacy, and technology. The same part of the brain is usually also tickled by guns and knives so you see a lot of that around here.

Flashlights have the same potential purity of form and function and subtle delineations of quality common to these fascinations, and it is less worrisome to others than guns, anyway. We find "reasons" for many, many lights (walking the dog light, searching behind the sofa light, etc.), but even without any reasons, we just appreciate having them...

Because it tickles that part of the brain, people start buying (and comparing, and tweaking, and discussing) more of them to experience a wider range of the tickling. For some, the tickle is so strong that we allocate a truly impressive fraction of our disposable income to it. Others, less so, it depends.

I think this tickle exists for a lot of people for different things. Many are incomprehensible to me but I respect the idea of having the tickle, which all collectors share in common.

If you don't have the flashlight tickle (look hard now...::)), maybe you have some other tickle, and this is just another flavor of that...

nerdgineer, you make more sense than my psychology teacher in terms of human emotions in reaction to something that excites the brain....

Last edited:

evanlocc

Enlightened
'Light' is a form of enegy!

When you heard "Let there be light " !

you'll be there to "Light up the light " !

mdocod

Flashaholic
this thread is beautiful...

CPFN00b: Welcome to CPF!! and GREAT first post. It is aparant that you have a well rounded mind.

What's really going on here is this: You feel the tickle that nergineer discussed previously, but you are now looking for ways to justify acting on the tickle (admit it, you know you want some fancy flashlights... to impress your neighbors with and save the day) hehe..

I have had a facination with electronics and flashlights since I was a young kid... That "hobby" as a kid dwindled off and I didn't do much with it through my teens... but now that I am grown up, and have money to play with, the interest was totally rekindled. Some of my lights are true tools, I use them every day. I use them at work to spot addresses, I use them at home to work on cars, I use them on the side of the road to help people change flats, I use them to check out the wildlife approaching in the dark at night (the forest is full of crazy stuff).

I think that a lot of the "collecting" part comes just because you want to experience the way a particular light performs... You may or may not plan to use it regularly, but you are curious enough to buy it, try it, and perhaps just put it on a shelf with other lights... A great example of some of this veriety that I have felt the urge to experience...
I purchased a cheap china flashlight that contains 100 LEDs on the head, pwoered by 4AA batteries... The function is pretty poorly executed, the quality is bad, but I was curious to see how 100 cheap LEDs would perform in the real world. It has become a novelty item that mostly just sits on the shelf with other lights. But I like having it because once every few days or weeks, I might pick it up to use instead of one of my regulars, just for the fun of it.. I guess it's all about that "tickle" to experience and play with something that facinates you...

I think the real "bug" hits you when you start to explore the options available through custom built and or modified lights. When you BUILD a flashlight, or piece together parts from various places to make what you want, there is a sense of satisfaction from that.

well... enough rambling.. I hope you have a great time here with the CPF community.