Real World Review - MagCharger long term report

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
This probably isn't new information but in case anyone is interested here is my long term ownership report for my (essentially) stock MagCharger.

Purchased new in 1994 (wow, I can hardly believe it's been 12 years). The only "mod" to it is a fairly recent install of the LOP reflector by fivemega (November of '05).

From 1994 to late 1996 this was my duty light and saw some heavy/rough use. After that it sat in a drawer for over a year when our department issued "Non metalic" streamlights due to lawyer pressure. It came back into fairly regular use in 2000/2001 as I was part of a very active neighborhood watch program, then intermittent use for evening walks until being essentially replaced by my Inova T4.

This light has seen some heavy use including smashing in house windows, car windows, beating off an attacking dog, kicked around, dropped, all kinds of weather and basically any other abuse you might imagine from a cop on duty.

Last week I tried to use it and got a dim initial beam that lasted for about 20 min before going out. Pulled the battery pack and it was labeled (by me) 3/5/2002.

Ordered a replacement pack (which arrived last night) and a spare bulb for the empty tailcap and set it to charge overnight. This evening I tried it and it was as bright as I ever remember it being.

In 12 years of service I have had to ....

-Replace the battery pack 3 times (this new pack is #3). Pretty much every 4 years like clockwork. Note, other than a total discharge about once a month this light stays on the charger full time and gets no special battery care.

-Replace 3 bulbs. Two blow-outs (One after severe hammering and the other after rolling down a flight of concrete stairs) and one with an oddly bent filament that always gave a really bizzare/distracting beamshape so I finally just threw it out.

-Replace the rubber switch cover (one day it was just missing. Maglite sent a free one)

-Replace one tailcap spring as the old one had lost it's spring somehow and wasn't maintaining good tension.

The switch is still smooth as honey and the light still performs flawlessly. Even with the current state of technology I still believe that Stock MagChargers are a sound household investment, let alone what you can do to mod them if you so desire.

Last edited:

dragoman

Enlightened
Re: MagCharger long term report

Sweet......we used these on the ship (worked security) in the Navy and they were great.....plan on getting one one of these days for walking the dog....

dragoman

wquiles

Flashaholic

Yes, the MC is a pretty sturdy light, but unfortunately for the MC, now that I have a rechargeable M6, the MC does not get much use at all ;)

Will

wquiles

Flashaholic

Norm said:
Love to see a photo.

Norm

Photo of the MC or the M6? What about both ;)

IMG_2236_small.jpg

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast

I know I'll probably get some flack for saying this, but the Magcharger is one of the great all-time flashlight designs. Think about just this for a moment: The design is unchanged from when it was introduced in 1982. That's 25 years for a flashlight that's still considered as having some of the best tech in its class. I don't think very many others can say that.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast

Manzerick said:
still looks mint!!!!

That wasn't mine but I'll take some pictures tomorrow and post them. Actually mine still looks pretty damn new unless you look closely at the tailcap or bezel edge.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast

zespectre said:
This probably isn't new information but in case anyone is interested here is my long term ownership report for my (essentially) stock MagCharger...sound household investment, let alone what you can do to mod them if you so desire.

Thanks for an excellent review zespectre!

I really appreciate a thorough review like this that examines long term durability, necessary maintainance, everyday use, overall practicality, etc.

This is the sort of useful info rarely seen on the review sites - which isn't a criticism of the review sites, it's completely understandable given how they operate.

Thanks again.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast

12 year old MagCharger
MC_0001.jpg

Head End (Note the fivemega LOP reflector)
MC_0002.jpg

Tail End
MC_0003.jpg

I really never thought this type of anodizing was very tough until I got this light. I must have had an exceptionally well done light considering how badly this light was roughed up on occasion!

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast

Got mine 27-30 years ago. I can't quite remember. I had a SL20 streamlight about then too, I have no idea what happen to it, this magcharger became my beloved and we have taken care of each other ever since. Changed battery packs quite a few times and a lotta bulbs, they burn out often if dropped when on. Had to replace the charger once. I have used maglite, streamlight, and aftermarket and built battery packs myself. They seem to last a year to 18 months depending on the exposure to temperature. It gets hot inside a vehicle in the southwest where I live. I modified the switch to reduce the internal resistance according to a post by AWR. I found there might be a slight design change in the switches over the last quarter century. Switch works perfectly but I have replaced a handful of rubber covers. I just upgraded to the 1160 bulb. Wow that is a lot of light. My reflector is in excellent condition. I will say the outside bears a lot of scars and shows a lot of raw aluminum. I agree with the comment on tough anodizing. I am a dinosaur that refused to retire at 20, 25, 30 years service and my light has more experience than, my gosh it is older than some of the people I oversee. It has been with me before cell phones and repeater encrypted radio systems. It has war stories but the best is as zespectre has pointed out so well.

A superior design does not change, stays around a long time, individual pieces are found to be in service many years and there is a following of collectors and satisfied users. It is a classic. Reminds me of some firearm designs.

Issue around here is magchargers in the vehicles and stingers for personal issue so my buddy is home now letting the company light carry the torch (oh!). A portion of us who bought our own personal lights switched to Dae's Golston. No other models are used in my organization.

Last edited:

jdriller

Flashlight Enthusiast

With the 1160 and an al reflector, it is one of my all time forvorite work light. It can really take a beating.

Knight Lights

Enlightened

I'm not sure if the original lights had Type III HA or not, but the new ones are HAIII, just like Surefires.

I have one that is at least 10 years old and looks nearly brand new except for a few very small nicks.

Bill

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's in better shape than a lot of 1-2 year old ones that I've seen that are in everyday usage by some of the tow truck drivers.

zespectre said:
12 year old MagCharger

I really never thought this type of anodizing was very tough until I got this light. I must have had an exceptionally well done light considering how badly this light was roughed up on occasion!

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast

Are you sure the current Mag Chargers are HA III? All of the ones that I've seen, including the ones in stores, look and feel like HA II.

Knight Lights said:
I'm not sure if the original lights had Type III HA or not, but the new ones are HAIII, just like Surefires.
Bill

dragoman

Enlightened

The current magcharger is type III anodized, has a metal reflector and a glass lens. It also has a low-resistance type bi-pin bulb and switch. all in all, a very capable light.

dragoman

Last edited:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

SUPERB review zespectre!!!

Mine (depending on how long it was in stock at Academy Sports) is around a year old. It doesn't get treated badly at all. It has a lightly frosted WA01160 bulb in it, and no other mods. And it DOES feel like a QUALITY piece!

A co-worker has a pretty old and beat up MC in his truck. His battery stick isn't up to 1160 snuff, so I put a frosted stock MC bulb in his. In addition, via getting MC glass lenses from Snap On, I put a new bezel ring on his light. Which looks a little out of place... but his was BEAT!

All in all, they seem to be pretty tough and long lasting lighting devices!!!

Latest posts