Garrity Tuff Lite

besafe2

Enlightened
Just purchased this light for $3.50 today at my local Dollar General. 2D ,heavy duty rubber casing, seems like a good extra light to have in the car. Does any one else have this light & has it done you ok ?
Figure for the price I can't go wrong.

P.S. This light is as bright as my 2D Mag.

Last edited:

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the AA version and the 2D version. I've submerged the 2D in a sink of water and it passed.

The 2D used to be my favorite host for a SMJLED bulb until last night when I picked up a Coleman 2D Waterbeam host.
Now I giggle like a school girl eveytime I turn on the Coleman and throw the SMJLED beam way out there. :grin2:
Talking Dorcy 1 watt 3D/MagLED territory.
I didn't think that bulb had it in it. Just needed to be coupled with the right host.

But yeah, if you need to go tromping in the rain, the Garrity will see you through just fine.

RebelRAM

Enlightened
We bought a bunch of these at my previous employer for general use and a few extra ones for emergency use around the office. They are pretty much indestructable. Great cheap host for any PR LED bulb mod. I have a Garrity G-Tech at home, I like the rubber grip on it just a little better. It has an EverLed in it and gets used quite a bit around the house. I also have an SMJLED in a 2D Mag.

A Tuff Lite with an SMJLED would be a very affordable tough little light with good performance. It would also be a great combo to introduce friends and family to LEDs with. Garrity builds good stuff. It's cheap, but I have found them to be very reliable and well built.

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sadly my favorite anglehead Tuff Lites have all failed after only 20 years of service
sigh.gif
. They produced the tightest beam from a PR SMJLED I'd ever seen, far better than a new Tuff Lite, which is probably the "equivalent" that Garrity would trade me for under warranty.

I paid the princely sum of $15 each for them in the '80s, and the way they are assembled with melted plastic makes them difficult to disassemble to see what's wrong.

As for modern rubber lights, I prefer the Duracell Explorer/Voyager over the Tuff Lites (Gillette now owns both Duracell and Garrity).