UBH RUN II ANNOUNCEMENT - update 07/05/2003

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is my plan:

I am now offering a second run of these UBHs. I am having these turned on a CNC machine locally, so that they all turn out well, and so that the delivery time is cut way down. I will have these anodized, unless you specifically order them unanodized. The anodizing is hard anodize, type 3 (HA3), and is offered in natural colour only. This matches well with your Arc-LS and your Surefire HA models.

Here is a recap for those who missed out on the first run:

The UBH (Universal Battery Holder) is an adapter that will take any of the Arc-LS, SF E1x, E2x or KL1 bezels. All have the same threads, so the head end is threaded to fit them. Into this UBH, you can fit any of the following battery combinations: 1AA, 2AA, 1A, 2A, or 1, 2, or 3 CR123s. What you use will depend on the type of head you want to run. This unit lets you run your E1x, KL1, or Arc-LS heads with cheap AA batteries! The tailcap switch (TCS) is the one from your SF E-series light.

The main offering will be in aluminum, as I said above, and the standard finish will be HA3. I will offer brass units as well, for a seperate price. These will have to be custom made, as I only have a quote for the aluminum units.

The spacers consist of a 1AA spacer, a 1x123 spacer, and a 2x123 spacer. This set allows the full range of battery options. Included with the basic kit is a tube adapter to go from the 123 to the AA diameter, and a small spacer to push the batteries up enough to use the Arc-LS head. A full kit consists of the basic unit, plus all spacers, plus the anodizing.

Pictures and the details on pricing can be seen on the Buy/Sell/Trade forum here.

****UPDATE****: Just a reminder that I will only be accepting orders until Thursday, February 20th, at 10pm EST. On Friday the 21st, I will give the final numbers to the CNC shop. Please have your orders in by Thursday evening to get in on this round of the UBH offerings.

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: UBH RUN II ANNOUNCEMENT - 2 days left!!!

OK, Nascar, please send Paypal for confirmation of your order.

Thanks!
smile.gif

lessing

Newly Enlightened

How much will these be? It sounds very tempting.

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast

lessing, if you click on the link on my post above, you will go to the BST forum thread where the price list is posted, and if you have any further questions, post here and I'll answer them.

moses

Enlightened

DSpeck, what is the advantage of brass? Is it thougher? Harder? More durable? I think brass has poorer heat dissipating qualities than aluminium (copper has better but not brass if I'm correct) so is there any compelling reason for brass?

Thanks,
Mo

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

ubh-kl1.jpg

IMHO it looks COOL!
cool.gif
cool.gif

Also, for what it cost (total), some heft to the flashlight makes me think I've got my moneys worth!
grin.gif

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mo, some people just like brass better. It has no coating, so if it gets scratched, just polish it up. It is very good around salt water, I believe (resistant to corrosion). It has as good or better electrical conductivity than aluminum. It's also pretty.
smile.gif

OTOH, it's way heavier than aluminum is, and that can be a problem for some people who want light stuff for EDC. It's also much more expensive than aluminum per volume. I am not sure of the relative toughness or hardness. The surface hardness of the HA'd aluminum is MUCH higher than the brass, of course.

Basically, it's your choice. The aluminum is likely better for EDC, I think.

Darkaway

Enlightened

If I'm reading everything right here, the UBH will be able to handle the upcoming Surefire KL4 5W head. Whoopeeee!!!!!

George Orl

Newly Enlightened

Doug,
Can you specify a cut off deadline date for UBH II orders so people know when they need to order by? Thanks.
George

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast

George, please have a look at the first post in this thread. I have updated it with the cutoff date (next Thursday, the 20th).

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast

Doug:

Even though I have a full brass kit, I'm not absolutely certain how many $3 spacers could be subtracted from the $55 HA full kit price.

Would this be $12 = 4 * $3?
(a.) A OD & AA ID tube
(b.) ARC spacer
(c.) 2 * CR123 Spacer
(d.) 1 * CR123 Spacer

Would this make unaccompanied HAIII tube pricing:
1 for $43
2 for $81
3 for $114?

Thanks for the clarification.

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lemlux, actually there are 3 spacers to subtract if you don't want them. The Arc Button and the AA adapter tube are a part of the basic kit.

The 3 spacers are 1AA, 1x123, and 2x123. I edited the post in the B/S/T forum to clarify the number of spacers.

Your totals would be 1@$46.00, 2@$87.00, or 3@$123.00 for the basic UBH kits in HA.

George Orl

Newly Enlightened

Doug,
Just sent paypal for another UBH alumunium HA run 2 without the spacers. Folks from the Shot Show here in Orlando and CPF members were impressed by your handiwork on my brass UBH I showed them. I had it attached with a SF button, C adapter mod and a SF Z32 bezel with a P91 lamp for 200 lumens of output. Even PK at SF held it and seemed to capture his interest. There is a photo at Show shot of me shining "E3C" (UBH brass) illuminating the ARC Flashlight banner with 200 lumens. See ARC flashlight category @SHOTSHOW topic pg 2 half way down. Thanks again.
George

pdm

Newly Enlightened

Hopefully not too late....paypal sent.

Thanks,
Paul

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast

George, thanks for showing folks the UBH!
smile.gif
I'm glad they could have a look at it. I saw the picture on the Arc thread - very nice!
smile.gif
wink.gif
I'm flattered that it interested PK...
smile.gif

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast

Status update:

The ordering process for the UBH is closed now. I have confirmed final numbers with the machine shop. I ordered a couple of extras, and I will offer any spares for sale when I have shipped all of the pre-ordered ones. The spares will all be HA. I may have one or 2 brass ones extra as well. Anyway, I'll let folks know when they are available.

Next thing is: see my new thread for additonal adapters! E2C, anyone? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast

Update on the UBH run II -

I was at the CNC shop for over 2 hours today, making tweaks to the design, and ensuring the bugs are ironed out of this run. You guys are gonna love 'em! There is a little extra room in the body, so no squashed batteries, the thread length of the tailcap is longer to eliminate that trouble, the head end is working well, knurling is looking fine. So far, so good.

The only thing is that the shop got a big rush order, so they won't begin on my stuff until mid to late next week. That pushes back the shipping date of the UBHs and the E2Cs a bit. My new target date is mid-April, it looks like. This time, it's out of my hands. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I am pleased with their quality and price, so we'll just have to wait a little bit longer to have the best... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif It'll be worth it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif