P1 regulation too abrupt?

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
Last night my P1 burned as brightly as ever for the 3 or 4 minutes that I needed it. This afternoon as severe thunderstorms approached the light lasted only about 5 seconds before extinguishing completely when I needed it. I was figuring it had to be a circuit problem to happen so quickly and I didn't have any spare batteries with me.
Cleaning and testing the light after I got home revealed no problems and a new SureFire battery brought it back to life. The old battery, which was the first one that's been in the light since I got it in mid July, measures 2.76V with no load. It behaves the same in one of my QIII's, flashes for a fraction of a second only and then dead.
Anybody else have a P1 or a name brand primary battery drop dead instantly like this with no moon mode?
Fortunately I did have my two Peak Matterhorns on me, but they are pretty weak when you're used to a P1!

LGCubana

Enlightened
From your diagnostics, it sounds like it might have been an issue with the first battery. See if the same thing happens with your new battery.

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
I will definitely keep my eye on the new battery, although both batteries will have come from the same new box of 12 SureFires. This wasn't a battery included with the light that might have had a more questionable history before I received it.
I have drained other SureFire batts in my QIII before I got my P1. Those batts had previously gone into moon mode in my E2e with early KL1 head and still had plenty of life for casual tasks in the QIII. I'll have to try one of those drained ones I've been saving by putting it in the P1 for a test this time.

thehappyman

Newly Enlightened
RebelXTNC said:
Last night my P1 burned as brightly as ever for the 3 or 4 minutes that I needed it. This afternoon as severe thunderstorms approached the light lasted only about 5 seconds before extinguishing completely when I needed it. I was figuring it had to be a circuit problem to happen so quickly and I didn't have any spare batteries with me.
Cleaning and testing the light after I got home revealed no problems and a new SureFire battery brought it back to life. The old battery, which was the first one that's been in the light since I got it in mid July, measures 2.76V with no load. It behaves the same in one of my QIII's, flashes for a fraction of a second only and then dead.
Anybody else have a P1 or a name brand primary battery drop dead instantly like this with no moon mode?
Fortunately I did have my two Peak Matterhorns on me, but they are pretty weak when you're used to a P1!

It's not your imagination....... My P1 stays super bright while the regulation lasts and then it fades away really quick. I was surprised how quick.
And I am using Panasonic and Blackhawk Night-Ops batteries......

Thehappyman

stockae92

Enlightened
my P1 seems to run ok on low battery

it was noticeably dimmer for at least 5 - 10 min before i shut it off and no abrupt cut off. i've never tried to run it until its really dim though

i was using duracell primary cell

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use SF CR123 cells in my P1. I was expecting a diminishing output once it falls out of regulation. The last time i had it running, it was in regulation and was all good. That was maybe yesterday. Today i fired it up and it didn't have enough juice to hit regulation and pretty much immediately started diminishing in light. So... i had about 2-3 seconds before the thing went pitch black. I stuck a new cell in there and everything seems to be ok. So... maybe it's just the regulator working to squeeze every last bit of power from the cell. Once it can't do it anymore, there isn't much juice left.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have yet to come across any single CR123a light that is as efficient as the Fenix P1 for output vs brightness. You're getting more use out of your cells with the P1 than you would with most other lights.

Fenix%20P1.png

I don't think that looks too abrupt, but, then again, a continual runtime test will be different than dozens of short bursts. Short bursts can allow the cell to recover somewhat, so it could very well drop off quite rapidly.

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
chevrofreak said:
I have yet to come across any single CR123a light that is as efficient as the Fenix P1 for output vs brightness. You're getting more use out of your cells with the P1 than you would with most other lights.

I don't think that looks too abrupt, but, then again, a continual runtime test will be different than dozens of short bursts. Short bursts can allow the cell to recover somewhat, so it could very well drop off quite rapidly.

Yea, i was expecting it to look like the chart. But for some reason it just dropped off within a matter of seconds.

But like i was saying above, i agree with you that the regulator is a good one so that's why it probably squeezed all of the juice out of the battery before it had a chance to fall out of regulation and dim.

x2x3x2

Banned
I had the same problem with Energizer cells as well.
I initially when i posted my experience, most ppl said it was the battery being bad.
I suspected the circuit drawing power when it was unused as i seldom used my P1 like less than 30min total.

But giving the benefit of the doubt that it might be a bad battery, i left another new Energizer cell it, left the P1 unused n made sure the head was like 2 full turn out to prevent intermitent contact but still drained. Sound pretty wierd but thats what happened on mine.

Somy Nex

Enlightened
hmm. might yours be one of the ones where the head doesn't screw on straight?

i put a battery in mine when i got it about a month or two ago, and haven't really touched it since. i pulled the thing out and twisted it on (left the battery inside all this while) and it just came on without problem and has been maintaining brightness for the better part of 20 minutes now...

there has to be something draining the current in your unit and am wondering what it might be.. i'll take pictures later tonight when i have time, but fwiw i've got a little black foam ring at the bottom of mine, which doesn't seem to affect performance any, like some of the initial batch with overly stiff foam rings...

x2x3x2

Banned
Nope, no physical abnormalities on that specimen. Heads screws on tight, like a new CMG Infinity.

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope, SF batteries are $1.75 each i think. I guess they're a little more expensive. But a few cents more per cell isn't going to break the bank unless you go through them like crazy. Then i recommend u buying them in more bulk quantities.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've ordered a lot of things through Botac. Never had a problem. CS was was very good, and they do have some good prices.