Nuwai Q3 not as bright as Fenix L1T on high

uspopo

Newly Enlightened
Well, my Nuwai Q3 arrived today and I put it up against my Fenix L1T (high setting) for comparision. I was suprised to say that the Fenix's light was whiter and slightly brighter than the Nuwai. I figured that 3volts would give the Nuwai a little more power over the Fenix's 1.5 but I was wrong. I am running a new Duracell AA in the Fenix and the Panasonic CR123A that came with the Nuwai. Is the LED in the Nuwai undriven and can it be modded for a higher output? I don't have any rechargable cells and charger at the moment, but have stockpiled 20 CR123A Surefires. If anyone can mod my Q3 for a higher output or post what rechargables they are running to boost the output of the Q3 I would greatly appreciate it. Stan:scowl:

PS - I would have bought the Fenix P1 if it had a clickie tailcap as I find it invaluable in tactical applications such as strobing...

Last edited:

Randy Shackleford

Enlightened
Most QIII's I've seen have a S-bin LED stock. Fenix L1T's have T-bin LED. If you lost the Luxeon lottery and received a low S-bin in the QIII & won the lottery with a high T-bin in the L1T, there is significant enough lumen difference between the two. The best two mods you can do to the QIII to increase output is to upgrade the battery to a 3.7V RCR123 and upgrade the Luxeon to a higher bin. You should also consider upgrading the heatsink if you run a RCR123. Replacing the poly lens/window with a 22mm glass one may improve output slightly as well.

Last edited:

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
How are you comparing the outputs? The L1T has a much tighter beam with a more concentrated hotspot. If you're just looking at the hotspot, the L1T will look brighter as the Q3 has a more diffused, smooth beam. You should use bounce mode to compare output.
For a brighter Q3, as Randy suggested, the easiest is to get a brigther LED and/or run R123As. If you want to use up your primary 123As, just get a TxxH Lux3 and swap it in...it is really easy to swap. I have TWOHs in both my Q3s and they have very good output even on primaries.

uspopo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Randy, does anyone do any modding that will undertake the task for me as I will gladly pay to have my Q3 upgraded. I really like the clicky switch on it otherwise I would have gone to the P1. Stan

uspopo

Newly Enlightened
jsr, I pretty much put them side by side for comparision. The Fenix's light is noticably whiter over the Nuwai. Would you be able to upgrade my Q3's LED and put a 22mm glass lense as I will pretty much stick with factory CR123As.. Thanks, Stan

email: [email protected]

Last edited:

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
uspopo - if you're shining them on a wall next to each other, the L1T will look brighter as I said due to the brigther hotspot, but that doesn't mean it has more output. It sounds like you still want to make the Q3 brighter regardless. It's really easy...here's how (there's also instructions on here if you search):

1. Take a pair of strap wrenches.
2. Put one around the most top portion of the head.
3. Put the other strap wrench around the knurled portion of the body.
4. Twist them in opposite directions (head counter clockwise) and walla!, the head is now off.
5. Take a needle nose plier or something similar and place the plier jaws in the 2 slots on the black retaining ring that holds the LED down and twist CCW.
6. Once the retaining ring is out, the LED will lift up.
7. Unsolder the red and black wires and the LED is now free.
8. Replace the LED with one you bought by soldering the red and black wires, making sure you have the correct polarity (search threads to see the polarity for Lux3s).
9. Reassmble and walla, brighter and whiter (or whatever color you want...warmer, etc.).

I wouldn't mind doing it for you, but I'm less than 3 weeks from my wedding and need to finish all the planning. Search on CPF for Q3 mod threads (milkyspit has a very good thread with pics) and use those instructions and/or mine and you should have no probs doing the mod. The Q3 is a really good light. With all my lights, I still find myself liking and using the Q3 at times...it's a great light for the price and I agree, the clicky is more convenient than a twisty...I have a P1 and other twisty lights.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
insert an r123 in there and it will BLOW IT AWAY!

-David

uspopo

Newly Enlightened
cheapo said:

-David

I see there are unprotected and protected cells (750/800/900mah) and different chargers (DSD, NANO etc.) What would I be looking for my Nuwai Q3?

PS - I also own a Gladius, SF Kroma, X200B and M600 Scout weapon lights but I will stick to factory CR123As for all these lights. The Nuwai will be my EDC light so it will get the most usage.

Last edited:

Randy Shackleford

Enlightened
cheapo said:

-David

a 3.7 14500 rechargable in the L1T will catch up and perhaps, surpass the QIII pretty quick, too.

3.7V rechargable 123's and AA's (consider a protected 14500 rechargable for the L1T) are 4.2V off the charger and they improve output on both lights repectively.

If the QIII has lost the Luxeon lottery and the L1T has won, then IMHO replace/upgrade the QIII LED as well as the battery.

uspopo

Newly Enlightened
Randy, I don't have any soldering tools and am not too great with electronics fidgeting. About the 3.7 volt through the L1T, it won't fry the led since it's running on the standard 1.5volt AA? What will be the low/high output with the 14500 in the L1T?