What are the smallest headlamps that don't run on button cells?

MY

Enlightened
I am always in search of the perfect headlamp. Size does matter to me, the smaller the better. I was wondering what is the smallest headlamp for the various non-coin cell type battery configurations out there?

1xCR123
2xCR123
1xAA?
2xAA
3xAA
1xAAA?
2xAAA
3xAAA
CR2?

Regards

TMorita

Enlightened
Probably these would be included:

1xAAA Gerber Tracer
1xAAA Gerber Triode
1x6v BD Ion
2xAAA River Rock 0.5 watt headlamp aka Streamlight Enduro
3xAAA PT Apex
3xAAA Petzl Tactikka/Zipka

Toshi

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone known if the RR 0.5 is adjustable? I need a similar size haedlamp those beam position can be adjusted. The review linked above does not specify, so I would assume it does not.

LouRoy

Enlightened
webley445 said:
Does anyone known if the RR 0.5 is adjustable? I need a similar size haedlamp those beam position can be adjusted. The review linked above does not specify, so I would assume it does not.

The light is mounted on a plate that tilts up and down (so you can adjust the direction of the beam), if that is what you are asking.

TMorita

Enlightened
webley445 said:

If you mean "focusable" then I would recommend the Petzl Micro with a Tektite LS223 LED replacement. This works really well for me.

Toshi

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
The RR 0.5W 2xAAA light is also focusable. You can unsrew the bezel and the beam will defocus a fair amount before the bezel clears the O-ring. It does develop a donut hole as the beam gets very wide, though...

Last edited:

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kiessling said:
Are there any *good* CR123 powered headlamps out there? Preferably LED?
bernie
seems that the new apex pro 2xcr123 is a decent headlamp...

however, personally... a 1x(c)r123 headlamp would be awesome :) hopefully PT is hard @ work :)

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Yep, that is what I'd like to see ... 1x123 LuxIII and two simple brightness levels, ultra compact.
Compatible battery format with my lights ...
One can dream ...
bernie

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
LouRoy said:
The light is mounted on a plate that tilts up and down (so you can adjust the direction of the beam), if that is what you are asking.

Sorry for not being more clear, I meant being able to adjust beam "angle". Hate having to tilt my head down to get beam to light up something I am holding in my hands/working on.

thank you, I will look into the RR now, looks like it would suit my needs for close up sitting reading/working.

nzbazza

Enlightened
Kiessling said:
Are there any *good* CR123 powered headlamps out there? Preferably LED?
bernie

There are several that I am aware of:

1, Nuwai HLX-712L Lux1/2xCR123A (my current favourite)
2, Streamlight Argo HP Lux1/2xCR123A
3, PT Apex Pro Lux3/2xCR123A (quite possibly the new kick-*** headlamp)

I've also come across a series of 1x CR123A headlamps by cosmosled.com but haven't found a supplier yet.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
webley445 said:
thank you, I will look into the RR now, looks like it would suit my needs for close up sitting reading/working.

If you unscrew the bezel entirely the RR is great for reading.

Probably the smallest 3xAAA light is the Petzl Zipka+. But it doesn't tilt. The PT Aurora and Petzl Tikka+ are a bit bigger. In general the Petzl lights are lighter than the equivelent Princton Tecs, but the PT are much more waterproof.

I haven't seen a good 1xCR123, and I dont think a 1xAA or CR2 even exists.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Something with batts and lamp in one body ... 1x or 2x 123 ?
Those are looking good though ... we are almost there ...
:)
bernie

MY

Enlightened
Thanks for pointing these links out nzbazza. On another thread, I asked why there were non 1xCR123 headlamps produced. It appears that the these lamps address my needs. Does anyone know who sells them?

Regards.

Meduza

Enlightened
TMorita said:
Probably these would be included:

1xAAA Gerber Tracer
1xAAA Gerber Triode
1x6v BD Ion
2xAAA River Rock 0.5 watt headlamp aka Streamlight Enduro
3xAAA PT Apex
3xAAA Petzl Tactikka/Zipka

Toshi

PT Apex is a 4xAA headlamp...

auroreboreale

Newly Enlightened
My personal favourite is an ARC AAA tucked into a headband, just a loop of sewing elastic, or clipped to to face hole in a balaclava, as an instant headlamp that will run on AAA Ni-Mh cells! Use an ID badge clip or an an alligator clip through the lanyard hole to secure it to your head band or balaclava. Lightweight! Simple! Waterproof! Smash-proof!

enlightenment!