Places in Canada for MagLED

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was at a Canadian Tire (The Stockyards) [TO Ontario] last night and found only 2, 2 cell LED modules for $28 each. They had a healthy stock of the Mag-Num Star bulbs.

They had the 3D MagLED instock as well.

Does anyone know the cheapest place to get upgrade modules for 3 cell lights for less than $28?

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one for 2D cells yesterday for 28$ CAD at Canadian Tire in Québec City. Maybe on sale we should get a better price.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^I hear they don't have very much stock. If I have time I'll check them out. The upgrade module would be nice, I have some plans for an old emergency lantern to be using all LED with PR base bulbs (PR SMJ, MagLED...).

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be careful if you want to use a Mag-Led dropin in a light that is not a Maglite. This is an oversized PR bulb made to fit only Maglites. But it is possible to make it fit some other lights.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
WildChild said:
Be careful if you want to use a Mag-Led dropin in a light that is not a Maglite. This is an oversized PR bulb made to fit only Maglites. But it is possible to make it fit some other lights.

I'm aware of that, the mount in this old lantern is like the Mag's Mounting style it's very big and less with a retaining ring. It's got a beam up top and another PR socket that lights a plastic tube to simulate a fluoro. It's strange because it looks like it has the tabs for fluoro tubes but no place for a balast. I was hoping to use the MagLED to be the main beam and a SMJ for the tube as a long run light.

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh another thing. Have you seen Newbie's review of the new SMJLED PR base? It permanently dim after only a few hours of use...

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yah I have, it's troubling. You are refering to the SS SMJ right? I have a few original SMJ PR bulbs and even when driven with 3 cells are still fine. I put one in a Mag 3D and it's just fine. Well it hasn't ran constantly for days but I have used it once for a few hours and it was fine, a little warm but fine.

pr5owner

Newly Enlightened
got a 3D MagLED yesterday from CT for $49, the regular 3D was $29 so the led bulb is around $20. not bad, you still have a regular incan in the tail cap of the MAG LED

pr5owner said:
got a 3D MagLED yesterday from CT for $49, the regular 3D was $29 so the led bulb is around $20. not bad, you still have a regular incan in the tail cap of the MAG LED

That's expensive. They're around $35 here.

dgc

Newly Enlightened
I bought one MagLed online from David @ DLSenterprises and I got it for something around 22$ shipped. Check out its discount in GreenLED's CPF specials thread.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Prices here and in this other thread are in Canadian dollars unless otherwise noted. C$1=~US$0.89.
More Canadian light discoveries
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=97002

CT (Canadian Tire) is a brick and morter chain store that sells at or near list.
3 cell Maglite LED $50
2 cell Maglite LED $47
2 cell LED upgrade $28

LeBaron with a limited # of stores in Ontario & Quebec are much cheaper.
Drop-ins are $19.94 for 2,3 or 4 cell
C/D LED torches are all around $30 or less
2AA MiniLED $26.45
3AA MiniLED $29.54

I do not have a car and many others fo not live near a LeBaron store so we are stuck with the higher prices.

To mail order from outside Canada by the time we add shipping and CUSTOMS BROKERAGE CHARGES it is often not worth the hassle.

Last edited:

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm I wonder if Canadian tire will Pricematch Lebaron? If they did that'd be pretty good but there's still the problem of them not having the 3 cell module.

warpdrive

Enlightened
LEDninja said:
I do not have a car and many others fo not live near a LeBaron store so we are stuck with the higher prices.

To mail order from outside Canada by the time we add shipping and CUSTOMS BROKERAGE CHARGES it is often not worth the hassle.

LeBaron does ship to other cities

ciam

Newly Enlightened
You could buy from LeBaron online here: http://www.lebaron.ca . They don't ship to addresses from the four cities where they have a store. I see that you're from Hamilton and you should be OK. Better still, I think they ship from their store in Montreal, so you should be able to save the provincial sales tax too.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
warpdrive said:
LeBaron does ship to other cities
Bought myLED module before I saw the post with LeBaron's prices

Might be easier to telephone mail order through the printed catalog. They have one of the more unfriendly websites. See link post #4.