Overseas shipping question

photorob

Enlightened
I was just wondering if someone could elaborate on the procedure for mailing packages overseas from the US. I have never done it before and would love the knowledge so that I will not have the fear of doing it if needed.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
1st, go to the USPS website: http://www.usps.com/
You can calculate foreign or domestic postage for various types of service, so you'll know how much to charge your buyer. I have mostly used Airmail Letter Post or Global Priority Mail.

You'll need some Customs forms, "PS Form 2976", which you can pick up for free at any Post office. You fill out this form in advance, and I could be wrong, but I have always thought it was necessary to then stand in line at the P.O. to turn in the package and let them attach the customs form. I fill out the form accurately, and don't mark it as a gift" unless it is.

It's more hassle than domestic shipping, but not too bad. The worst part is if there is a long line at the P.O.

Norm

Retired Administrator
:awman: Why not mark it as gift? In a Australia it would mean a 10% saving on duty to a fellow CPFer.

TENMMIKE

Enlightened
just go to the post office they have a customs tag you need to fill out , itll take you 3-4 minutes, DO NOT use the lowest shipping option (surface or book rate i believe ) i did that,(gf did it cause she not know any better) took over 3 frigging months to get to OZ for a m3t to get there, mark value as cheap as you can easaly get away with to save them $$$.

Last edited:

cy

Flashaholic
It takes me an extra 1-2 hours min to ship international.

it seems that enforcement of customs forms is up to teller. customs requirements can be different for each country. actual requirements are determined by country light is being shipped.

depending upon teller you get, forms required can change. you cannot argue with post office clerk. lost count of times, package was ready with correct customs form, only to be required to fill out a long form.

it's next to useless to tell clerk he's wrong...

seldom do I get a waiting line that takes less than 45 minutes to go thru. this not counting waiting line for a parking spot. then add cost of fuel driving to special post office.

that's why I get cranky when someone asks me to discount cost of freight overseas.