My first time!

beernuts

Newly Enlightened
Just happened tonight!!!

I always check out Wally World's selection of lights, looking for anything new or something on clearance, when I am forced to go there.

While trying to look at the pathetic selection, there was a woman standing , picking up various lights, looking at prices, overwhelmed (at least to her) by the selection of the lights.

I asked who she was shopping for: Her son's first Cub Scout Camp this weekend.

Well I could not leave a damsel in distress. The first light she picked up was a Dorcy Maxfire, I told her I wish that was my first light(think where I would be if I started at 8, with a light like that), but the runtime and battery expense made it a poor choice. Second was a rubber Dorcy 2 AA, a little weak but sturdy and waterproof.

I showed her my SF E1 with a Vital Gear body, told her what I spent and she could not beleive that a light could cost that much(I didn't tell her about a Gladius or M6) So I showed her my Photon Freedom, then my Arc AAA-P and she asked about LED lights.

The light I helped choose was the Dorcy 1-watt 3AAA Metal Gear. I realize there are better lights and some Cub Scouts are going to try and lug 6 D M$Gs all weekend but the form factor, runtime and even the brightness make it a great first light. Each of my kids has one. And it was 9:30 at night and her son started camping in the morning.

I was very proud of the experience, chest swelling even but of course my wife was like "Whatever"
So I could not wait to go online and post. Thanks CPF

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Good job, beernuts! I've not had such an opportunity to advance the cause. I'll bet that kid will be the envy of the troop. This kid here finds his Metal Gear to be a pretty decent light. Keep up the crusade.

Geoff

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course your wife would "whatever" it. Next time tell her that it was a hunched back old man and I gurantee she'd be more responsive. :) Good work.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
this guy who was heading to Iraq asked me which light he should get for ~$30 at my local store... it was between the SL scorpion, and the g2.... course i told him to get the g2 do to its top quality machining as well as reliability.... i'm sure it will serve him well.

-David

Chris201W

Enlightened
Great story!

A similar thing happened to me, but suprisingly, I was on the other end. I was buying an X5 at Target and all of a sudden this other guy in the flashlight aisle told me I might be better off with a luxeon light. I just told him I was looking for a long runtime floodlight, but to myself, I was thinking, "I think I've got it under control, thanks!" We showed each other our flashlights for a little bit, than parted ways.