Polishing 6061 Alu

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure if it needs to be in this thread or in "Materials/Mechanical/Machining"... But I'll try here...

I have very dull Arc LS parts in bare Alu...
Inspired by this pic (by Billson :grin2: ) I would like to have this done by anyone who is willing to do it for a reasonable price...

I live in Europe, so first dibs to European CPF'ers, but overseas offers are just as welcome... (shipping is just a few bucks more I think...)

Thanks guys !

EDIT: I've read some stuff about "Flitz", but could not fine it here in Europe and I'm not so sure which polish I can safly use on my light-parts... I did find automotive chrome polishes and such, if anyone in The Netherlands (or Europe) can recommend me any thing, thanks !

Here is the sample pic of Mirror Polish:
(light is just as reflective as the reflector, wow ! :drool: )
twins0088pa(Billson).jpg

Last edited:

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Polish 6061 Alu

Flitz is great stuff...I can buy a tube for you, and send it to your address. I think it's about $12 to $14 for a large tube.

TB

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast

Have you considered getting your lights plated in nickel or chrome? (Actually nickel is used as the base for a chrome plate job over aluminum.)

Advantages would be that nickel/chrome won't dull like polished aluminum and it's more difficult to scratch. However, if it does scratch it's not as easily repaired as bare polished aluminum (which would just need more polishing).

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice #8 finish.

Just couple questions.
Did you use a lathe or buffing wheel? and how long did it take you?

jtice

Flashaholic

I also use FLitz Polish.

I first use a "Scotch Pad" on them. Its like the green scratch pads you clean dishes with.
Then I take the Flitz to it.
I have some help from the lathe though ;) wouldnt want to do it by hand buffing alone.

Seems to have good results though :D
IMG_1951.sized.jpg

~John

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast

maybe a dremel with the fluffy(i am in need of a better word here) head , together with some metal polish will work?

jtice

Flashaholic

You could also get a buffing wheel, (same as chestergw is talking about)
but larger, that will chuck into a drill.
THen strap down the drill, and polish your part on it, like you would a bench polisher.

~John

woolfam

Newly Enlightened

Not a complaint, just an interesting fact. The first word in your post's title is the only English word that I know of where capitalization determines pronunciation / definition.

With a capital "P" the word means someone / something from the country of Poland, and the word is pronounced with a long "o" sound.

With a lower case "p" the word means to buff to a high luster, and the word is pronounced with a short "o" sound.

As you can see, beginning a sentence with the word creates a bit of a problem. When I read your post's title I though maybe… well, never mind.

Good old English. You always follow the grammar rules… except when you don't.

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
woolfam said:
With a capital "P" the word means someone / something from the country of Poland, and the word is pronounced with a long "o" sound.
Nice find... ! I also spot these things, but only in Dutch :grin2: :laughing:

Bump

Last edited by a moderator: