Anyone know about the Smartfire CR2 Mini Flashlight at Fifthunit?

Oracle

Newly Enlightened
I was browsing at Fifthunit and came across this light: http://contents.fifthunit.com/html/products.5th/sku.1062.html

It looks really nice, but I can't find out anything about it. Espcially how it compares to the Orb Raw; it's about the same size but 1cm longer. I'd love to know how the performance stacks up since it's 1/5th the cost.

They also have similar ones that include extension tubes to use 2AA batteries instead of the CR2.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one of the SmartFire B-13W 3 watt regulated CR2 flashlights from Dae when I needed another LR10-3W from Waion but found he was out of stock.
They are identical except for the name on the side of the bezel. Both are machined nicely and have very good emitters that are not heavily tinted towards purple, green, or orange. No luxeon lottery with these.

I have never dealt with FifthUnit so I have no idea if their CR2 SmartFire flashlights are of the same high quality as the one I got from Dae or if they hand select them for good tint before accepting a batch of them from the factory.

The SmartFire I got from Dae was wrapped in bubblewrap and then nested into an additional piece of a harder solid foam type material and then placed in a rip resistant Tyvek bubble pad envelope. The tiny B-13W arrived in mint condition even though it was obvious the shipping envelope had signs of "heavy sorting" by the postal services on both ends of it's journey.

Last edited:

aceo07

Enlightened
Are they any smaller/shoter CR2 flashlights? The Orb is shorter, but a bit expensive for a light I don't really need.. :)

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
aceo07 said:
Are they any smaller/shoter CR2 flashlights? The Orb is shorter, but a bit expensive for a light I don't really need.. :)
None at this low budget price point that I know of.

If you don't mind a CR2 flashlight that is a bit bigger then the style of the Ultrafire F&L J1 might make it worthy of a look.

Last edited:

Oracle

Newly Enlightened
LumenHound said:
I bought one of the SmartFire B-13W 3 watt regulated CR2 flashlights from Dae when I needed another LR10-3W from Waion but found he was out of stock.
They are identical except for the name on the side of the bezel. Both are machined nicely and have very good emitters that are not heavily tinted towards purple, green, or orange. No luxeon lottery with these.

I have never dealt with FifthUnit so I have no idea if their CR2 SmartFire flashlights are of the same high quality as the one I got from Dae or if they hand select them for good tint before accepting a batch of them from the factory.

Thanks for your reply.

Do you know how the brightness compares to an Orb Raw?

I think with a 15 minute to 50% runtime, recharables are the only way to go. I'm a bit worried about it saying they'll shorten the runtime. Does that just mean I need to let them sit for a day after charging?

Fifthunit has a CR123 charger but not a CR2 charger.

aceo07

Enlightened
LumenHound said:
None at this low budget price point that I know of.

If you don't mind a CR2 flashlight that is a bit bigger then the style of the Ultrafire F&L J1 might make it worthy of a look.

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Same price as the Luxogen CR2 light that I am also looking into. It's unfortunate that QuickBeam didn't get a chance to update with a runtime with 100% full battery.

It also doesn't say if it can handle RCR2. I was pretty impressed by the Luxogen photos with RCR2 output compared to CR2. I'm pretty much a rechargeable battery guy, so I'll want to go with a light that can handle rechargeables.

tanasit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is the size comparison: left to right Orb NS, Orb Raw, Luxogen

PICT4211Medium.jpg

Now with primary CR2: Luxogen left, Orb Raw right (this made me worry since the Luxogen is clearly the winner!!)
PICT4213Medium.jpg

Now with same primary CR2 in luxogen left, but Orb Raw with RCR2. Obviously the Orb Raw was designed to run with RCR2.
PICT4216Medium.jpg

For good measure: still left the same Luxogen with primary CR2, right is the Orb NS with RCR2. The Orb NS is a bright as the Orb Raw with RCR2.
PICT4219Medium.jpg

Too bad I have only one RCR2 but I did try a short ON the Luxogen and yes it's very bright but not as much as the Orb.
Hope these help.

tanasit

Flashlight Enthusiast
After the test, I am now happy with my Orb's but still the Luxogen is well worth the money. One caution, the Luxogen will eat the o-ring, so I filed off the sharp edge of the body's inside lip.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have actually heard that the Luxogen on a RCR2 is brighter than an Orb Raw. Even if it is around the same brightness that is still an amazing deal considering it is hard anodized,costs 1/3 the price and is regulated.

aceo07

Enlightened
adirondackdestroyer said:
I have actually heard that the Luxogen on a RCR2 is brighter than an Orb Raw. Even if it is around the same brightness that is still an amazing deal considering it is hard anodized,costs 1/3 the price and is regulated.

A nice runtime and output test would be great if it existed.

tanasit, Thanks for the pics. I thought the Raw was much shorter. Do you use the luxogen on your keychain?

aceo07

Enlightened
hmm. I wonder if the SmartFire CR2 and Luxogen LR10(12) are exactly the same, but different labeling.

If they are the same, I'm concerned about the 22minute runtime on RCR2.

The UltraFire J1 reviewed by Quickbeam had 35minutes on a 40% CR2. I wonder if RCR2 will at least do that or more.

It'd be nice if we had output rating for all of these cool cheap light. :)

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
aceo07 said:
A nice runtime and output test would be great if it existed.

tanasit, Thanks for the pics. I thought the Raw was much shorter. Do you use the luxogen on your keychain?

I use the Luxogen on my keychain. It's just a tad shorter than my old Jil 1.3w TWOH that it replaced. I loved the Jil, and there are still several aspects that I prefer about it, but the Luxogen was quite a bit brighter on primaries and after getting a protected rechargeable its awe inspiring brightness made it the clear choice for my keychain.

aceo07

Enlightened
Trashman said:
I use the Luxogen on my keychain. It's just a tad shorter than my old Jil 1.3w TWOH that it replaced. I loved the Jil, and there are still several aspects that I prefer about it, but the Luxogen was quite a bit brighter on primaries and after getting a protected rechargeable its awe inspiring brightness made it the clear choice for my keychain.

What do you think of the runtime? And how's the quality of the construction?

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know about the runtime. I use the light often, but only for seconds at a time. That's how it is with most of my lights. Runtime has never been a concern of mine, especially since my most often used lights are all using rechargeables. The quality of the construction is very good. The threads are really smooth and the HA anodizing is perfect. It really is a very nice light. The other CR123 Luxogen that I had also bought from Waion, previously, was also very well made.