L6 questions please!

BTbigfoot

Newly Enlightened
1. Do all L6's have a donut? is this common?

2. How does the spot and spill compare with the L5?

3. If torn between the two, which one to get?

Thanks for your time.

xdanx

Enlightened
I have owned both of them at them same time and did side by side comparisons. I would have say that the L5 is more useful. The L6 has only slightly more throw and output than the L5, which is why I traded my L6. The L5 has a slightly larger hot spot than the L6 and is only noticeable outdoors. IMO, the L6 is only good for its run time so if size is not an issue, get the L6. But if you want a smaller light that you can slide into a jacket pocket, get the L5 (or U2 :nana: )

Also, only a few Surefire LED lights have donut holes. My L6 had a noticeable hole, and my L5 has a perfect beam (newest version from SF).

Thats just my personal oppinion.

Last edited:

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I Also Had Both and I Liked the L6 More. It almost had the same flood but with more Throw. It Looked Better and Also Felt Better. I loved this Light But Needed another Light.

I would Go with The L6, Better Runtime,More Throw, and Awesome Looks!

My L6 Didn't Have a Major "Cheerio"
I think Most Lux V have Some Sort of "Cheerio".
If your Lucky you wont see yours.

Zephyr

Enlightened
I have both the L5 and the L6, and I'd say I like the L6 the most because it has more throw and excellent side spill. As far as the "Cheerio" or "Donut Hole" is concern, it's pretty much depends on the L6 that you'll purchase. Some are just more prominent than others. I had an L6 that had a major cheerio and some other problems, but sent it in for repair and Surefire exchanged it with a new one that does not have a "Donut Hole."

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
The newest KL5's are great, and run very well with one 17650. Mine is attached to a TB 18650 body so run time is really inhanced. The KL5 is heat sinked better than the KL6 (L6), and holds its highest output longer. My KL5 maintains its regulation for 100 minutes with Pila 600P's, and will probably run longer with an LG18650. My KL6 on a 2X18650 body runs for 3 hours in regulation, so it does appear that the KL5 is more effecient. One advantage the KL6 has with its longer OAL in standard L6 format is being able to tuck the light under your arm for tasks requiring two hands My KL5 has a higher overall light output than my KL6.

Bill