SUREFIRE TRUE STORIES

ahw

Newly Enlightened
Reading some of the true stories posted on Surefire's website helped me a lot with my decision on buying one. I do not have a story like those yet, does anyone here do? How has surefire saved your a$$?

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a story. I turned it on and it worked.

But seriously my L2 has such a great flood it comes in handy when searching in large rooms, plant rooms, ceiling spaces. It lights up such a large area so well that it saves alot of time locating cabels, junctions, access points etc. To date I have not been in any life threatning situations where it was needed but if something goes bump in the night I'll be reaching for the L2 and my cricket bat!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
As much as I love my C2 & L4, especially my L4, here's hoping I never have to use one of them for anything "exciting."

xring

Newly Enlightened
True story: Dropped my G2 2.5' onto a tile floor. Didn't get a nick. But it was a good thing the lights didn't go out that night...:rant:

Topper

Flashaholic*
Concept said:
I have a story. I turned it on and it worked.

But seriously my L2 has such a great flood it comes in handy when searching in large rooms, plant rooms, ceiling spaces. It lights up such a large area so well that it saves alot of time locating cabels, junctions, access points etc. To date I have not been in any life threatning situations where it was needed but if something goes bump in the night I'll be reaching for the L2 and my cricket bat!

Wow you guys downunder must have really big crickets to need a bat.
We just pick them up and toss them back outside here, unless we are going fishing then we put them in a cricket basket or tube and use them for bait.
Topper :)

Sharpdogs

Enlightened
I know a guy who's G2 was run over by a firetruck. Still worked afterward, no problems, just a few scratches on the outside. This is one of the many reasons why he swears by them.

Martin

Enlightened
A yr 2000 experience, Thailand, nr Cambodia border. I had just bought my first real light, a Surefire 6P. I was using it the first time.
This is extracted from my travel site.

I was cycling on the road when at 7pm, I was held up by dogs that came running from a house to the road and stopped me. Not uncommon, in Thailand. The dogs were pretty bad and one tried to get behind me. One guy from that house came out and checked from afar with a searchlight, what might be going on. He realized that I'm a farang as I could hear him say. I also got my flashlight and found at least 5 dogs around and that guy in the distance, in front of his house.
He made no attempts to call back the dogs but got - as I understand - angry at me. I couldn't go on because of the dogs, so I moved towards the house, with the dogs moving back from the road into the yard. As I tried to close the gate of the yard to lock the dogs in, the guy went into the house and got something that looked like a revolver. I first thought he was going to shoot the dogs but then I didn't believe it. I hurried back to my bike and rode off, the dogs didn't follow. From behind, I heard two shots (and surely no dog wailing).
I wasn't too worried at that time 'cause the gunner was some distance away, the gun was rather short, it was dark and possibly there were some bushes in the way to block his sight.
Overall, I consider it pretty bad style of that man to fire a gun with no immediate threat. Even worse that he provoked the situation by letting his dogs run free. Could be he was drunk.

This is the story from the first time I carried my SF 6P. At the shop I considered it an expensive light. Not after this night.

And since then, I ask myself if I would have to use a gun the first time I carried one ? I heard people say so. I was afraid and I never got one.

Another story from 2001, Nusa Penida, Indonesia:
I was visiting a wet and pitch-black cave and my guide (who was supposed to know the cave) fell into a hole in the ground (nothing serious happened to him, pulled him up agn) because his flashlight was too dim to light his path. I was using my 6P and it was just bright enough in this blackness.

And one more story from a long time ago, when I still left house without a flashlight:
I was in Lombok, Indonesia. Trying to cross the small island at around 7pm (it was almost dark, getting really dark quickly, not much moonlight under the foliage). I ran into a cow and dropped into a shallow pond. I still made it.

Last edited: