Computer Help: Weird Internet/DSL Problem

Joel

Newly Enlightened
I'm at a loss on this one. A friend of mine just got a new computer (Dell, WinXP Home edition) and a new high-speed DSL Internet connection. He uses AOL for e-mail. AOL works just fine, he can receive his e-mail and surf the web just fine, including downloading files. The problem is that he can't use Internet Explorer or any other browser (I've installed both Firefox and Netscape) we just get the standard message that the program(s) are unable to connect to the Internet. I've used just about all the anti-spyware programs under the sun and they all come up with clean scans. None of the spyware programs can get on-line updates because they can't connect to the Internet. The one thing I haven't done yet is to hook up my laptop to his Internet connection to see if the I.E. on my laptop will work - if it does then I know that his XP is somehow corrupted and we need to re-install. If anyone has heard of this problem your feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Joel

Samoan

Enlightened
Check to make sure that security settings haven't been set so high that IE is identified as the only browser that can access the internet.

-F

WNG

Enlightened
If your DSL ISP is through AOL, then that may be the problem.
It may be a proprietary connection, that's why he can access email and the web through AOL and not a standard app using TCP/IP.

Windows XP must also go through a network connection set up routine via its Networking wizard. It sets parameters based on how you connect to the internet.
Answer the questions it pops up and afterwards retry your browsers.

DSL modems usually use a PPPOE protocol to connect to the Net.
If a router is involved, make sure it's set to that.

Joel

Newly Enlightened
WNG said:
If your DSL ISP is through AOL, then that may be the problem.
It may be a proprietary connection, that's why he can access email and the web through AOL and not a standard app using TCP/IP.

Windows XP must also go through a network connection set up routine via its Networking wizard. It sets parameters based on how you connect to the internet.
Answer the questions it pops up and afterwards retry your browsers.

DSL modems usually use a PPPOE protocol to connect to the Net.
If a router is involved, make sure it's set to that.

Thanks WNG - will try the network setup routine. His DSL connection is through AT&T so it's not an AOL proprietarty problem. He does have a router and it's set correctly for PPPOE... also bypassed the router for a test to se if that was the problem.

IE security settings are normal - will check to see if any DNS servers have been set for some reason.

Thanks all!
Joel

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
For future reference, a problem such as this would likely not be resolved by reinstalling XP. This sounds like a configuration issue or a problem with the lovely, proprietary AOL ISP. Not an issue with a corrupted OS.

JM-99

Lightmeup

Enlightened
AT&T gives their DSL customers email service. It would make sense for him to use that instead of AOL.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Try opening up a command prompt and pinging a website such as Google. If you get a response, then DNS is ok and the browser is being blocked or the browser is looking for a proxy server that doesn't exist.

BobVA

Enlightened
- Can you use IE or FF if the AOL application is open and connected (i.e. start it, log in and then start FF or IE and see if it works)?

- In IE, have you checked the "Tools", "Options", "Connections" tab for proper settings? If the router is managing the DSL modem, you can select "LAN". If the modem is directly connected to the computer, you probably need to select "Dial a connection". DSL uses PPPoE, as mentioned above, which looks to the OS like a very fast dial up.

- If you got a CD from AT&T, it may be worth running it again.

Good luck,
Bob

Joel

Newly Enlightened
BobVA said:
- Can you use IE or FF if the AOL application is open and connected (i.e. start it, log in and then start FF or IE and see if it works)?

- In IE, have you checked the "Tools", "Options", "Connections" tab for proper settings? If the router is managing the DSL modem, you can select "LAN". If the modem is directly connected to the computer, you probably need to select "Dial a connection". DSL uses PPPoE, as mentioned above, which looks to the OS like a very fast dial up.

- If you got a CD from AT&T, it may be worth running it again.

Good luck,
Bob

Thanks, everyone - for all the great suggestions! Bob, I'll check the great suggestions on your list. I do know for sure that I.E. won't work even when his AOL connection is active. Sometimes ideas like your connections tab work great because it's often the simple things that we overlook.

I just found out that he took his computer to "The Geek Squad" recently to get a hard-drive upgrade,(some kind of tech service offered by one of the major chain stores - Best Buy - I think.) The computer hasn't worked right since then, so it looks like it's definately "Cause and effect." I'll be calling the tech that worked on the machine to see what the hell he did to it.

Thanks all!
Joel