why doesn't fenix AA LxS/LxT have a split ring notch?

her34

Newly Enlightened
the AAA version do but the AA don't. even though the AA has space taken up for the clickie, wouldn't people rather have a notch? if the notch were close to the hole, you could lay the split ring flat without overlapping the clickie

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
It wouldn't work. Even if you could fit a split ring betweed the switch and the case ( which you can't ), the end if the split ring wire rubbing against the rubber switch would break the rubber.

You can always attach a small loop of cord through the holes which has the same function as a split ring anyway.

greenLED

Flashaholic
NutSAK said:
What would you use the split-ring for if you could have it on an LxS/LxT?
anti-roll
attachement point for clip/lanyard, etc.

Judging from how the split rings behave on my Arc AA's and CR2, having the notch wouldn't damage the rubber button, by way of the split ring.

mchlwise

Enlightened
JetBeams have a notch:

75778.jpg

I use the clip to keep it on my belt loop.

LOVE it. I don't hardly ever tail stand it, but it's nice to know I can if I wannu.

Definitely like to see something similar on a Fenix.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
mchlwise said:
JetBeams have a notch:

75778.jpg

I use the clip to keep it on my belt loop.

LOVE it. I don't hardly ever tail stand it, but it's nice to know I can if I wannu.

Definitely like to see something similar on a Fenix.
A quick question please.
I've been looking for this clip. Is this the clip that Lighthound carries? If so, do you remember which size it is. This picture gives me some perspective. :thanks:

floscherl

Newly Enlightened
Lite_me said:
Is this the clip that Lighthound carries? If so, do you remember which size it is. This picture gives me some perspective. :thanks:

That one is a MM mini clip (35mm), really nice clips btw ;)

sgtgeo

Newly Enlightened
Yeah that really pissed me off about the L1T.

I actually got a piece of gutted 550 cord through both those tiny holes so i could tie a lanyard on there

floscherl

Newly Enlightened
mchlwise said:
Correct.

I got it from Berkely Point directly:

http://www.berkeleypoint.com/products/hardware/S0185-0035.html

so I don't know how they compare to Lighthound's clips.

Correctamundo!

The "Lighthound clips" are the MM clips.

The clips are not cheap, or in other words, they are a little bit expensive. ;)

BUT the quality is very good and it´s better to buy one of these than 6 cheap self-destructing ones.
:sold:

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
About a year ago, Lynx_Arc found a special split ring at Walmart which was sized to exactly fit through both holes at once on the Fenix L1P (and I assume other AA clicky Fenixes) which did not interfere with the rubber button. They are perfect for attaching thick lanyards and bigger split rings through; and he used to sell them for practically nothing (I think 50 cents for 10, 60 cents for 20, including shipping). If he's out, I recall that he said they were in the crafts section and a bag of 200 was pretty cheap.

After installing them, all my 2 hole Fenixes take lanyards just great.

mchlwise

Enlightened
floscherl said:
Correctamundo!
BUT the quality is very good and it´s better to buy one of these than 6 cheap self-destructing ones.

:rock:

I keep buying these things and finding more and more ways to use them.

They're great!

her34

Newly Enlightened
nerdgineer said:
About a year ago, Lynx_Arc found a special split ring at Walmart which was sized to exactly fit through both holes at once on the Fenix L1P (and I assume other AA clicky Fenixes) which did not interfere with the rubber button. They are perfect for attaching thick lanyards and bigger split rings through; and he used to sell them for practically nothing (I think 50 cents for 10, 60 cents for 20, including shipping). If he's out, I recall that he said they were in the crafts section and a bag of 200 was pretty cheap.

After installing them, all my 2 hole Fenixes take lanyards just great.

if it's going through both holes, then it's permanently sticking out the side? i'd rather have notch so that the ring moves around

her34

Newly Enlightened
mchlwise said:
:rock:

I keep buying these things and finding more and more ways to use them.

They're great!

what uses have you found?

Ousanas

Newly Enlightened
6mm split rings fit great, I bought 50 of them at Hobby Lobby here in town for I think 2 bucks. I put one through, then another through that one. i can attach a clip to that or a larger split ring. I had a Tritium vial attached to it for a while, now I just have the 6mm split rings on there for now.

splitrings.jpg

edited to add pic

Last edited:

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is almost always someone else who has already done what you are asking. Great little resource this CPF.

I dont normally use Lanyards on my Fenix torches but I might just have to get some of these too. Thanks guys.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
her34 said:
if it's going through both holes, then it's permanently sticking out the side? i'd rather have notch so that the ring moves around

If it goes through one hole and a notch then it's always sticking out the side anyway, just a bit more moveable.

mchlwise

Enlightened
12520.gif

Didn't mean to hijack the thread. :ohgeez:

her34 said:
what uses have you found?

Well, obviously for clipping things to other things. :grin2:

I guess multiple "uses" isn't accurate, but I've found MANY things to clip beyond the world of flashlights.

Throw one on a keyring to quickly and easily secure them to a belt loop; I put one on a spare house key so when we give it to the kids they have a way to keep it more secure than loose in a pocket; I've got them on my FRS radios to make them more secure than the simple pocket clip that they come with; A small one clips my keychain light (curently my Fenix E1) to my key ring - so it can quickly come off when I need to use it; etc. etc. etc.

It just seems like there's a never-ending string of things that can use a secure clippy on them.

Back on topic:

I've found that fishing supply places have a nice assortment of split rings - for those looking for just the right size to go through both of the holes in a Fenix. EDIT: The advantage to running the split ring through both holes is that it retains the ability to tail-stand.

Last edited: