FT-01 with XR-E *more pics*

x2x3x2

Banned
here it is, a huntlight ft-01 with Cree's XR-E LED from a 0021 batch which are 73.9-100.4 @ 350mA.

With the FT-01's stock reflector, it totally changes the beam profile from spot to FLOOD, imagine a surefire L4 on steroids..
there is no hotspot or spill per say, but it fades gradually from centre. The tint is cool, as in noticeable blue, the FT-01's original Lux III was almost perfect white.

amidst the excitement i didnt take a comparative shot with the original Lux III emitter, but im impressed to say the least. i would guess 3-4x more output compared to the Lux III

as u can see from the pic, there is a slight donut area to the right of the centre, this is due to my rookie soldering skills, im sure if my emitter was soldered centre there would not be any donut.

to get an estimate of the size of the beam, compare to the sofa in the pic, the wall is about 5m from me, and the inner room wall is about 10m.

DSC01786.jpg

DSC01788.jpg

Last edited:

x2x3x2

Banned
Re: FT-01 with XR-E *beamshot n pic*

btw i think anyone who has the new FT=01PJ model should try this mod ;) cos the emitter is way easier to remove than the older model, and it takes only 5 mins :) ull be blown away by the difference in output

easilyled

Flashaholic

:goodjob: :takeit:

Seriously if you do any more of these PM me - I'd be very interested. :)

x2x3x2

Banned

hehe thanks for the comment bro, but im not very confident with my soldering skills as this is my very first try at a mod. im sure u will be able to do a better job, as long as u get the FT-01PJ model, swapping is easily done... but i duno how to keep the emitter centered while soldering

there is actually a circular place holder on the emitter board meant for the Lux III, but the rectangular base of the XR-E keeps sliding around :(

Here's a note for those who wana try it out:

Identify the +ve and -ve points at the emitter.
U can do this by placing 1 of ur test pins on the +ve spring contact (the part which makes contact with + end of the battery), and the other pin to one of the emitter solder points. The one which reads about 1 ohm or close to 0 resistance is the +ve point.

Last edited:

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great beamshot!

Now you've got me wondering how well a star mounted XR-E would do in a stock Nuwai Q3 with it's LOP reflector altered for best focus? Might have to adjust the sense resistor on the Q3 converter because of the XR-E's lower Vf.

easilyled

Flashaholic

x2x3x2 said:
hehe thanks for the comment bro, but im not very confident with my soldering skills as this is my very first try at a mod. im sure u will be able to do a better job, as long as u get the FT-01PJ model, swapping is easily done... but i duno how to keep the emitter centered while soldering

I'm sure I wouldn't be able to do a better job because my soldering skills
are non-existent. :)

I'm prepared to take the "risk" of one of your mods - maybe just do 1 or 2 more first. ;)

x2x3x2

Banned

im really looking forward to some manufacturers to make flood flashlights outta these XR-E emitters. could really be an L4 killer!

even with the stock FT-01 reflector, the radius of light is about 2x that of an L4 and brighter at that.

havand

Enlightened

How much is the Ft-01 HAIII model? :p That beampattern is no thrower, but is not nearly as horrible as i was expecting from the first mods. Where did you get your cree from that you've got it already? I ordered mine from Cutter in Australia, so i'm not gonna expect them for a week or more yet.

x2x3x2

Banned

I think ill should call my FT-01 with XR-E the FT-L4 :)

havand, i ordered mine from Cutter as well.

easilyled, im trying to "coax" a Huntlight rep to sell me a few modules without the emitter so i can mount the XR-E on. Buying a whole new FT-01 for each is gonna be pretty expensive.

also, i figured for those who are gonna try this to use adhesive thermal epoxy first and ensure good alignment, the rectangular base of the XR-E slides more than buttered soap on the FT-01 emitter board :(. then u can solder the +/- points. much safer and reduces chances of messing up :)

Last edited:

Tachyon

Newly Enlightened

Just wish somebody would find a way to mod the SL propoly with a Cree! That reflector is ideal for the Cree LED.

Tachy

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*

WOW!

I'd really like to have a good flood light. That looks really bright.

x2x3x2

Banned

i hear that LifeNRA :) seems like the majority of the lights out recently have be throwers.

im actually starting to like my FT-01 with XR-E better now, the flood is really useful and easy of the eyes indoors. i dont have to scan the work area compared to the original spot beam, and doesnt blow out my vision on one spot too.

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast

thats why I sold my P1, maybe a cree version would be perfect.

x2x3x2 said:
i hear that LifeNRA :) seems like the majority of the lights out recently have be throwers.

im actually starting to like my FT-01 with XR-E better now, the flood is really useful and easy of the eyes indoors. i dont have to scan the work area compared to the original spot beam, and doesnt blow out my vision on one spot too.

DragonFlame

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for sharing the results of the experiment, x2x3x2!
I guess small lights would benefit from this kind of mod even more, given the small power source and the usefullness of a floody beam in such lights.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you have an extra XR-E, you should try putting it into a VB-16. It's pretty similar to the FT-01, except it's multi-level. The emitter is very easy to get to, as well.

Awesome mod!

ICUDoc

Enlightened

x2x3x2
Thanks a lot! These LEDs are exciting!
I've been following your info search for how to do this- can you show us the emitter mounted and soldered? I have a few willing hosts to transform into pocket monsters with the Cree....
Thanks a lot again.

ciam

Newly Enlightened

x2x3x2, very good job even though your LED is positioned a little off!!! Thanks to you, now finally see a Cree XR-E in real action after all the buzz. The output is impressive. Come to think of it, what the premium version can do. I think I have to get into that group buy.

EDIT:

Have you tested the beam pattern without the stock reflector? Or unscrewed the head a couple turns or levelled the base of the reflector with the LED or etc to see how the beam pattern changed?

Last edited: