Tailcap "clicky" switch difficult for women with nails?

mightysparrow

Enlightened
I am thinking of a light for my Mom for the holidays, possibly a Fenix L1T or JetBeam I MK II, but here's an issue I haven't seen so far in my brief time skimming the threads:

has anyone heard from a woman that using a clicky tailcap switch is too difficult for her, becuase of longer fingernails getting in the way? I would think that might be a problem, especially with the newer lights that have switches flush with the end of the tail or recessed.

I would also think that my Mom, being rather small and in her 70's, would find a lot of clicking to be hard on her finger, when the switch is tough to push and multiple "clicks" are required to toggle through the brightness levels. Any thoughts on this? Maybe I should go for the P1, or LOP-SE, to stick with a twisty switch and something not too big and heavy for her. But I like the AA lights and multiple brightness levels for her. Or, should I not worry about it?

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would'nt a LOP-SE (or any AAA model) be a bit fiddly for her? Same applies for the P1 as well - Maybe a Civictor V1 or Magled would be a bit better.

(And no offense intended, but older folks tend to like simple/practical, does she really need multiple levels?)

CFU

P.S. if she is "old" her nails will break very easily...so best stick with a twisty or conventional side switch/button for her.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Proturding clickies, like Surefire standard ones, pose no problem, methinks. Moderately recessed seem to be OK, also (Fenix).

Neither am I a woman, nor do I have long nails (which I hate on women also), but since the tip of my thumb sticks out over the other side of the tailcap, I doubt that the nail could be in the way.

Deep recessed ones to allow tailcap-stand could be problematic.

My Granny is now 82 and has arthritic fingers. She just loves twisties. She just confiscated the Inova X series light once she noticed how easy it was for her to operate and how bright it is (it was intended as a gift for my cousin).

Last edited:

mightysparrow

Enlightened
CFU and elgarak: thanks for the quick replies. Yes, maybe the LOP-SE is too fidgety for an older person with weaker hands. And yes, she probably doesn't need the multiple levels.... I didn't think about the position of the finger/thumb on the switch relative to the size of the tailcap -- yeah, the tip of the "triggering" finger is probably outside the tailcap area and not in the way- unless the button is tall and hard to depress. You've definitely provided me with some thoughts to chew on as I consider the options....

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just one other thought MS - Maybe an Inova X1 would fit the bill if you just want a small light for her pocket/purse...rear twisty, standard AA battery and perfectly good for navigation around the house or a dark area.

Hopefully others will give you some more ideas.

CFU

mightysparrow

Enlightened
I had considered the X1, before discovering CPF. I should consider it anew! Thanks everybody, for your thoughtful consideration of my question and helpful answers. I will take a look at the lantern, too. :goodjob:

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
finger nails will not hinder with the use of those clicky switch but it will hinder you when typing as you will press on the button above it too.

i have long finger nails....becoz i am too lazy to cut them :p