do red lasers have a pump diode?

kdam36

Banned
I was looking through ebay the other day and i come across this laser

eBay.co.uk: 200mw Ultra high power red laser pointer new! (item 220042459430 end time 31-Oct-06 20:23:46 GMT)

the script says it has a pump diode of 1 watt and an advanced pump diode assembly??? forgive me if i`m wrong, but i`m sure 650nm lasers done have a pump diode like a green one and if the diode was a genuine 1 watt diode,then the power output would be 1watt @ 560nm?

it looks to me like he`s lying to sell the lasers by making then look good?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
*ALL* red diode lasers that I'm aware of (~635nm and longer; 650-660nm is a common value for high-power units) are directly injected, meaning there's a laser diode and probably a lens to focus or collimate the otherwise fan-shaped beam. So if the diode was 1W, your beam would be 1W.

dr_lava

Enlightened
He ripped a lot of the text of that ad stright from a different ebay green dpss ad. That's why it's says 1W diode, which was probably a lie even in the first ad.

jkaiser3000

Enlightened
Yes, that laser is direct injection diode, no pump. If he can say such things in his add, makes me wonder whether the output power is true also :thumbsdow. I wouldn't trust that seller

Any way, to clarify, there are some diode pumped red lasers out there, which produce 671nm. That is not the case here though.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Yes, there *ARE* DPSS lasers that emit laser radiation at 671nm, but they're rather uncommon.
By far, the vast majority of solid state red lasers (635-680nm) are directly injected.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Any laser over 5mW should *NOT* be called a "pointer"; it should be called something else. For the laser itself (self-contained or with wires to connect it to low voltage DC), the word "module" would be appropriate.

Canuke

Enlightened
jkaiser3000 said:
Yes, that laser is direct injection diode, no pump. If he can say such things in his add, makes me wonder whether the output power is true also :thumbsdow. I wouldn't trust that seller

Any way, to clarify, there are some diode pumped red lasers out there, which produce 671nm. That is not the case here though.

I might be missing something here, but I didn't see the seller call the diode a "pump" diode anyplace.

Moreover, the new 200mW red unit from Aixiz is spec'd at 330mA input current at 3.2 VDC, which is about 1.056W power dissipation. At least that's how I read it; still waiting on a answer from Aixiz guy in this thread.