my new dragonlasers 125mW greenie

luvlasers

Enlightened
Got my new 125mW laser pointer from dragonlasers last Friday night. Wanted to wait longer in case either wickedlasers or dragonlasers dropped prices more but just couldn't resist.

The box was pretty ordinary, card board shell with a foam inside. Good for protection and storage but not a display case.

Can't say if it lights matches or burst balloons (could not find any) but the beam looks awesome. I've got some photos below of the beam, mirrors and a beam diffuser (glass of water).

IMG_0725.jpg

IMG_0723.jpg

IMG_0718.jpg

The laser pointer is fantastic, so cool in the dark and puts holes in plastic. God bless dragonlasers and their low (even after increases) prices.

Can't say the same for the mirrors i used. The reflectivity is so poor, you can see light from the beam through the back of them. The reflected beam in one of the photos is so much weaker than the original beam.

In summary, excellent laser, s$$t mirrors.

Hope to post burning photos next week.

Last edited by a moderator:

luvlasers

Enlightened
damn, the photos are not showing, just links. how to i include photos so people can actually see photos instead of links?

Really want to know!!!

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
First off... it's a module, not a pointer...
ohgeez.gif
lolsign.gif
Nice one though.
grinser2.gif
To show images, but the
tags around the image link.
au.gif

IMG_0725.jpg

IMG_0723.jpg

IMG_0718.jpg

Last edited:

luvlasers

Enlightened
thanks allthatwhichis a big help

You sure your not mistaken about it being a module though? This is the link http://www.dragonlasers.com/inc/sdetail/168 It is portable, uses two AAA batteries, it meets all the characteristics of a laser pointer.

I was under the impression that module is just legal name often given my sellers to laser pointers.

IMG_0718.jpg

dr_lava

Enlightened
Although you should never use it to point at anything, if it looks like a pointer, smells like a pointer.. it is, in as far as 'pointer' is a form factor decription. I suppose for clarity it could be called a 'laser pointer weapon.' :) That takes the kid's fun and toys feeling out of it about as effectively as calling it a 'laser module', eh?

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
is this 125mw stable? too bad they jacked up the price on this unit, i would've picked one up, but i wanted to wait for the reviews from other purchasers!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
dr_lava said:
...I suppose for clarity it could be called a 'laser pointer weapon.' :) That takes the kid's fun and toys feeling out of it about as effectively as calling it a 'laser module', eh?
For legal reasons in the United States, it (and for that matter, any portable laser product that has a power output of greater than 5mW) should be referred to by one of these two names:

Laser module
Laser device

dr_lava

Enlightened
The_LED_Museum said:
For legal reasons in the United States, it (and for that matter, any portable laser product that has a power output of greater than 5mW) should be referred to by one of these two names:

Laser module
Laser device

Large sellers prefer to call them that because it's legal to sell >5mW lasers as modules when they are intended for OEM manufacturers, but the truth is that they aren't intended for integration into an end product, they arethe end product, making them more akin to a pointer. If the law says no pointers can be sold by manus >5mW, does calling them a 'laser device' make it legal? Sorry, judging by a few past border seizures, the FDA doesn't think so.

It is legal to own such a device, however, so what you call it doesn't matter.

I know this is OT, just wanted to clear this up, this will be my last opinion post in this thread on the subject.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
On my website, I call any laser device that emits >5mW a "module" - primarily to help cover my toliet muscle. Lasers that emit >5mW of laser radiation are not intended to be used as pointing devices, even if they look & smell like laser pointers.

luvlasers

Enlightened
senecaripple said:
is this 125mw stable? too bad they jacked up the price on this unit, i would've picked one up, but i wanted to wait for the reviews from other purchasers!

I waited till i saw a few good reviews on lasercommunity.com before i ordered mine. You can also see reviews on a new laser forum http://deeptide.com/ I thik this forum was set up because laser community was too pro wickedlasers. Not surprising considering its owned by wickedlasers.

Anyway, about stability. I don't have a meter so i can't give you exact numbers. The brightness or burning ability does not diminish until the batteries lose power so i'm confident its stable.

It has a much better burning ability than my other laser pointers and the mean is so much clearer at night. You can see from the photos that much of the beam comes out of the back of the mirror. Could be just bad mirrors, hoping its over powered.

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
my question had no reflection on your pix, btw looks really nice. just from somebody commenting on it's stability or the lack of, but that poster never even bought one, guessing or asuming was more like it.
wish they did not increase the prices!

luvlasers

Enlightened
senecaripple said:
my question had no reflection on your pix, btw looks really nice. just from somebody commenting on it's stability or the lack of, but that poster never even bought one, guessing or asuming was more like it.
wish they did not increase the prices!

I know what you mean. But no matter whether your buying from wickedlasers or the much cheaper dragonlasers, they are expensive so i waited until there were posts from people who actually bought dragonlasers. At the time that i decided to buy, there where roughly 6 people who had posted they were happy with their laser pointers from dragonlasers.

Have not seen any negative posts at either lasercommunity or deeptide.com/forums. My dragon laser is still working well used after been constantly in my spare time. Have to get rechargable batteries cos the cost of replacing batteries is killing me :lolsign:

c0ldshadow

Newly Enlightened
you are lucky you got that 125mw when the price was a bit lower hehe

still its a pretty good deal i think at the current price!

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
guess they undercut themselves, now that they got the free publicity, they need to increase their prices to atleast "break even". as they are now on the laser map!
if the prices go down, i may consider, but, after this increase!

nero_design

Enlightened
I've had some complaints forwarded to me about Dragon not offering any after sales repair etc. Seems to be a number of defective units being released as well and although refunds have been issued instead of unit replacement, the complaint that a number of buyers has made is that they were still out of pocket for shipping since Dragon Lasers are not including this nor would they replace the units when defective.

Again, this information was forwarded to me by other buyers wanting to know what I knew about Dragon. I have not purchased one of their units not assessed any so I can't make any calls on quality yet until I get more feedback from other buyers.

Might be worth waiting for more diverse feedback from regulars here who have been around a while long enough that we know they're not shills from any particular seller. I've been fairly loyal to any laser supplier who's products met my approval but I notice this last few months that there's a lot pf people plugging particular products in this forum who are employed with the laser companies they're plugging.

My suggestion is to see what some of the old-timers have to say about some of the new sellers and products on the market right now.

PS: Luvlasers - I HOPE you were using safety glasses when setting up your mirrors and water containers with the laser. That's a scary combination of specular and reflective surfaces!

luvlasers

Enlightened
Hi nero design, for sure i used glasses. with that many mirrors lined up, it is too easy to end up with a beam in the eyes. I've got a pair of old heavy duty industrial glasses that work well but are a fashion disaster. I'd never be game to use them outside.

Wickedlaser's glasses look great but i'm short on cash and after a cheaper alternative. Know of any?

Athoul

Enlightened
Cheaper, only perhaps the Barr and Stroud goggles on eBay. The Wicked goggles are great for the price and have an OD of 5 or 6 if I recall correctly. The Barr and Stroud goggles also have a high OD of at least 5 to 532nm, but also have the advantage of being highly resistant to UV and IR as well. The rubber design is not quite on par with the Wickeds ( I have both these goggles), but I find them to be very useful. The BS goggles also have a strap that wraps around your head, as such there is no chance of them coming off should you be looking down upon your work area.

I would avoid any goggles that are laser enhancers, though you might be tempted as they are usually $20 or so. Make sure they are protective goggles.