L1 or E2L?

h2xblive

Enlightened
So I'm about to order the E2L Surefire and I started having second thoughts. Now I'm deciding between the L1 and E2L. The L4 is out because it's harder to buy and much more expensive. The L2 is out because it's too big. I like the L1's size and long run time, but is the 22/1.1 lumen output useful? is 30 much different from 22? And are human eyes even sensitive enough to see 1.1 lumens? (ok, I'm being sarcastic here)

marxs

Enlightened
the L1 is by no means a scorcher but the amount of light should be useful. if its the new one with the TIR optic youll have a spot with limited (proabably nearing 0) spill. the small form factor is good though. i dont think the human eye can tell a significant difference between 33 and 22 lumens.

if you go the L1 route...id consider getting it modded by milkyspit to put a reflector in and bump that to 60 lumens.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had both and I'd have to vote for the L1 I think its probably my best light, thats' including my U2. I must've got lucky with mine, since I couldn't tell the difference between the L1 and the E2L. I'm sure the difference is there if you put both side by side though. The low on the L1 is EXTREMELY useful, and for the record I think its more than 1.1 lumens, maybe like 2.5 or 3. The 90+hr runtime on low can't be beat either. That makes it an excellent disaster preparedness light. Nothing wrong with the E2L, mind you, but the excellent features and versatility make the L1 worth it.

whippoorwill

Enlightened
I have the L2 and the E2L and the variable output is certainly better than just a single output. If I am not mistaken, the L1 is a 1 watt Luxeon, while the E2L is a 3 watter with a focusing lens for better throw. If you do not need the variable output of the L1, I would go with the E2L. Might want to reconsider the L2. It is a great light, also with some versatility. I don't think it is much bigger, if at all, than the L1.

Wonderful dilemma, huh?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L1 is now a 3 watt LuxIII (used to be a 1 watt though). They both (E2L and L1) have the same focusing optic now.

ja10

Enlightened
L1 - 4.6 inches
L2 - 6.1 inches
E2L - 5.25 inches

For me, the L1 size is perfect. 6.1 for the L2 is a bit long, and the E1L is too short (in my opinion)

The L1 and E2L use the same emitter (someone correct me if I'm wrong). The E2L uses the KL1 head, which is essentially the same as the L1, but the electronics are in the body of the L1, where they are in the head of the E2L. The E2L has a little more output, but that is the only difference. They use the same optic.

The L1 is one of those lights that on paper isn't very impressive, but I find it more and more useful the longer I have it. With the F04 beam shaper (which is a must), you have a very versitile light that keeps running and running.

You can always buy one of Milky's ML1 heads too and then you have ~60 lumens output and great spill.

I have U2 as well, but I find myself using the L1 more often as the 1.1 lumen low setting works great at night and for closeup stuff and the high setting is bright enough to check that dark corner wherever.

whippoorwill

Enlightened
KDOG3 said:
The L1 is now a 3 watt LuxIII (used to be a 1 watt though). They both (E2L and L1) have the same focusing optic now.

You are correct. I was looking at some outdated material. I was looking at the L1 vs the L2 several years ago and decided to go with the L2. To my taste, the 1.1 lumens was too dim. The Arc AAA-P puts out 5 lumens and that is about my limit of tolerance. Thanks for updating me (us)!

h2xblive

Enlightened
ja10 said:
L1 - 4.6 inches
L2 - 6.1 inches
E2L - 5.25 inches

For me, the L1 size is perfect. 6.1 for the L2 is a bit long, and the E1L is too short (in my opinion)

The L1 and E2L use the same emitter (someone correct me if I'm wrong). The E2L uses the KL1 head, which is essentially the same as the L1, but the electronics are in the body of the L1, where they are in the head of the E2L. The E2L has a little more output, but that is the only difference. They use the same optic.

The L1 is one of those lights that on paper isn't very impressive, but I find it more and more useful the longer I have it. With the F04 beam shaper (which is a must), you have a very versitile light that keeps running and running.

You can always buy one of Milky's ML1 heads too and then you have ~60 lumens output and great spill.

I have U2 as well, but I find myself using the L1 more often as the 1.1 lumen low setting works great at night and for closeup stuff and the high setting is bright enough to check that dark corner wherever.

I get the feeling I'd like the L1 as an everyday carry. Battery life has a slight edge over output (with regards to my decisions) since I can always carry along my G2 with a P60/P61 lamp. However, since I will be carrying the Arc-P AAA as well, I don't want two small lights that have roughly the same output and run time; they should compliment each other to some extent.

Jeff H

Newly Enlightened
Oops! I mistakenly posted this in an L2 thread! Perhaps this is where I meant to put it.

I bought the L1 recently and have carried/used it a great deal. I grab it without much thought because I know that if I grab another I might have too much or too little light depending on the one I choose. Some complain about the low setting being too low but I think it's just right. The way the switch works is great. The "high beam" reaches not quite as far as my Pelican 2390 and with a narrower beam but is deceivingly bright for its advertised "22 Lumens." Small consolation for the fact that it has so much else going for it. It's got to be the best all-'round light I own (Fenix L2T with a CR123A tube is close though) and has found a permanent place in my pocket. My one regret is not having bought several. I shopped hard for the features I wanted and bought this lighth based on that alone. I very ignorantly purchased it for $81 (which included shipping) from Optics Planet and when I decided it was a fantastic lighth I went back to get one for each of two friends they were $135!! Then I started looking around and realized I got one heck of a bargain. That said, I would have missed out on experiencing this great light had it not been so cheap. If I lost it, now knowing what it is worth in non-monetary terms, and had to pay $135 ($125 some places) to replace it, I would do it. Understand that I don't own the L1 simply because I have to have "one of everything," in fact it is my first and only Surefire (so far). I studied all the two-level lights I found to be readily available and within my budget and purchased based on features. It is living up to my expectations admirably.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go with the E1L, because you can upgrade it later with the KL4 transforming it into one of the best EDCs in the market. And probably the brightest too. Also you can add a two-stage tailcap if you really need a low-mode.

ADDICTED2LITE

Newly Enlightened
Get the L1 and have Milkyspit mod it for you, then the only other light you will need is a E2L modded by Milkyspit too. One EDC light and one super bright light. That really helps the decision making, LOL.

h2xblive

Enlightened
My L1 just arrived and I must say this thing is bigger than I thought. I'm really glad I didn't get the E2L or the L2.

The low-mode is much brighter than expected; SureFire certainly is conservative in their light output ratings! This is probably the perfect EDC light for me. Thanks again for all your advice.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
See, told you! ;) Its' a great light. I think its probably the most underestimated light in Surefires' lineup.

tsl

Enlightened
h2xblive said:
My L1 just arrived and I must say this thing is bigger than I thought. I'm really glad I didn't get the E2L or the L2.

If I remember correctly, someone had posted a thread about the L1 being longer than the 4.6" quoted in the SF 2006 catalog. Just checked my catalog, and I'd crossed ot the 4.6" and replaced it with 5", so the light is a bit bigger than you would have thought. The older style L1's are smaller, but they've got a different front end.

swatman

Newly Enlightened
Between the two, I would get the L1 mainly for the 2 stage. Low is perfect to navigate inside the house without waking up the whole family. High is there if you need it.

hikari

Newly Enlightened
swatman said:
Between the two, I would get the L1 mainly for the 2 stage. Low is perfect to navigate inside the house without waking up the whole family. High is there if you need it.

What, you all sleep in the same room? (JT! JT!)

I just got an L1 from Milky the other day...and I love it! It doesn't throw as far (and isn't as bright) as my old FB1/KL1 combo and is as long as my E2O's at 4 11/16", but the two level functionality makes it a winner. Whatever the heck Milky does with the head, the beam this baby puts out is gorgeous.