bright & cheap red 5mm LED's?

greenLED

Flashaholic
Where do you guys get them these days? My source has always been superbrightleds.com but I'm looking for something a cheaper but with the same specs (say... 8000mcd, 30º angle or whereabouts). They're around $0.50-0.60 on sbled's.

I need 15 pieces, so the 50 and 100 lots on eBay are outta the question (plus, their specs are iffy, at best, as are the specs on some of the other sites advertising higher fluxes).

Thanks, guys.

OK, I don't know how this got duplicated... :green: ...off to contact the mods.

ken2400

Enlightened
If 20 degree angle will do then I would be glad to buy them and sell you what you need.

greenLED said:
Where do you guys get them these days? My source has always been superbrightleds.com but I'm looking for something a cheaper but with the same specs (say... 8000mcd, 30º angle or whereabouts). They're around $0.50-0.60 on sbled's.

I need 15 pieces, so the 50 and 100 lots on eBay are outta the question (plus, their specs are iffy, at best, as are the specs on some of the other sites advertising higher fluxes).

Thanks, guys.

OK, I don't know how this got duplicated... :green: ...off to contact the mods.

frenzee

Enlightened
I think THC3s are the brightest 5 mils you can buy, but they're not cheap. If you want cheap, try one of these:

BestHongKong (expect 2-3 weeks for delivery)
LEDSupply.com
LCK Led Store

Also the two HK eBay sellers do 50 or 25 pc. lots from time to time.

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Thank you, guys!

These will go in a bike LED blinker, so the THC3's are way over kill (they're spec'ed at 80-100mA, IIRC). 20º is just fine.

The ones on LCK LED Store look promising. What I keep wondering is why a few of these places have what seems to be good quality LED's for a fraction of the ones I know come from a reliable place. Either the specs are bogus or the reliable places have inflated prices, or... I dunno.

frenzee

Enlightened
I have a bunch of suppozedly 8000 mcd (eBay) 3mm's left over from a tailight project. If that helps your cause, PM me, but I gotta tell you, quality is crappy. Some are brighter than others and tint consistency just isn't there.

MrMimizu

Enlightened
I'm in the same boat. I'm looking for at 64 superbright 5mms to modify the colour of my lightsaber but I don't know who to buy from. The expensive ones are just that and the cheaper ones, I'm not sure what kind of quality and lifespan I could expect. I went to LCK's website but I don't like any of his payment options.

Does anyone know if how reliable and bright these leds are?

greenLED

Flashaholic
:thinking: Sounds like I'll hold my horses until more people pitch in about their sources and the quality of their offerings.

Frenzee, I appreciate your offer, but I need 5mm's. Your experience is an example of what I'd like to avoid, if possible, without having to pay $0.60 a piece. Or maybe that's what I have to pay if I want a consistent product. :thinking:

Christexan

Enlightened
JELEDHK on EBay sells them in of 30 or greater lots (I know, you don't need that many, but follow me here)... in testing they don't live up to their exaggerated output ratings, but match the rest of specs really well especially angles, BUT their white ones at least have been tested as some of the brightest ones out there, regardless.

Now, why bear with me? For a lot of 30, with free shipping (to USA at least), $7.99. 38 cents each, not bad.
I've ordered 50x10mm, 100x5mm (whites), and 50x red, and been VERY happy with them, visually consistent, no problems. (I built a 30-LED test 30-LED red tailight array, looks smooth across them all, and 2 white headlight prototypes, also smooth (at around 23mA, I'm conservative).

Anyhow, they are in Hong Kong (nervousness), but they have a 99.9% positive rating, with over 3000 orders, and I got mine, correct as ordered, within about 4 days of PayPal processing the order.
I'm not affiliated with them (or anyone, I do I.T. support for an insurance company), hesitated awhile before buying, and wished I'd gotten them sooner afterwards (after dealing with the mire that is PayPal, that was my bigger hesitation).

Last edited:

Calina

Enlightened
Christexan said:
JELEDHK on EBay sells them in of 30 or greater lots (I know, you don't need that many, but follow me here)... in testing they don't live up to their exaggerated output ratings, but match the rest of specs really well especially angles, BUT their white ones at least have been tested as some of the brightest ones out there, regardless.

Now, why bear with me? For a lot of 30, with free shipping (to USA at least), $7.99. 38 cents each, not bad.
I've ordered 50x10mm, 100x5mm (whites), and 50x red, and been VERY happy with them, visually consistent, no problems. (I built a 30-LED test 30-LED red tailight array, looks smooth across them all, and 2 white headlight prototypes, also smooth (at around 23mA, I'm conservative).

Anyhow, they are in Hong Kong (nervousness), but they have a 99.9% positive rating, with over 3000 orders, and I got mine, correct as ordered, within about 4 days of PayPal processing the order.
I'm not affiliated with them (or anyone, I do I.T. support for an insurance company), hesitated awhile before buying, and wished I'd gotten them sooner afterwards (after dealing with the mire that is PayPal, that was my bigger hesitation).

Are you sure shipping is free. I just checked jeledhk site and it says they charge $13.00 for shipping.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Varroa, that's exactly what I'm planning on doing. :) Your pics are very encouraging.

:thanks: ledaholic!

Varroa

Newly Enlightened
The pictures don't due it justice how bright it is with the new LEDs in it. It is as bright as my Planet bike Super flash. I will try and take some beam shots and compare the 2 over the next couple of days.

MrMimizu

Enlightened
On Ebay, they are free shipping to the US. I checked the link and it shows free shipping.

Christexan:
So the 30 that you bought were all pretty close in brightness and tint?
I'm going to need to solder 64 of them in a line for my lightsaber and it would be great if it was uniform in colour/brightness when done. i'm not looking for red but if the red a consistent then I'll take my chances on the other colours.

Calina said:
Are you sure shipping is free. I just checked jeledhk site and it says they charge $13.00 for shipping.

Calina

Enlightened
My.., your right, they're free, I don't know where I looked before.

I don't understand that vendor shipping system. Sometimes it's free, sometimes it cost up to $20.00.
thinking.gif