Flashlights With Pre-Focused Lamp/Reflector

math314

Newly Enlightened
Aside from SureFire flashlights, which flashlights out there have pre-focussed (i.e. non-adjustable, always focussed) optics? I just hate adjusting the focus of a flashlight.

Mikeg23

Enlightened
Most of the LED lights are not focusable. There are some other lights that use a lamp assembly much like the Surefires P series... Wolf Eyes, Vital Gear, and also the Brinkman light at Gander Mountain or Walmart.

Many of the cheap plastic lights are not adjustable, but at the same time they are not always focused either.

You could try looking through the incandescent section of Flashlightreviews.com to get an idea.

strat1080

Newly Enlightened
There are quite a few now. The Brinkman Maxfire is non-focusable. Princeton Tec lights aren't focusable either. I've really gotten over adjustable flashlights and now think they are silly. The real engineering is tuning the beam so that it is useful in a variety of situations. However if the reflector is textured some adjustable focus lights can be quite useful. I've noticed that Stingers and Scorpions are not as bad as Maglites when used on wide focus. The artifacts go away completely with the textured reflector. Anybody have any idea why M@g won't use a textured reflector?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
The Streamlight SL series of lights are all fixed focus.

Most of the Pelican plastic lights, and I THINK the latest M6 metal lights.

If you search out "frosting" and take some care in centering the bulb, you will find that even a M*glight can be a useful thing.....

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
strat1080 said:
There are quite a few now. The Brinkman Maxfire is non-focusable. Princeton Tec lights aren't focusable either. I've really gotten over adjustable flashlights and now think they are silly. The real engineering is tuning the beam so that it is useful in a variety of situations. However if the reflector is textured some adjustable focus lights can be quite useful. I've noticed that Stingers and Scorpions are not as bad as Maglites when used on wide focus. The artifacts go away completely with the textured reflector. Anybody have any idea why M@g won't use a textured reflector?
My feeling exactly. About Mags: My assumption is that they don't do it because it kills the throw. Many unenlightened assume good throw for power, so the high throw of Mags is one of their selling factors.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many unenlightened assume good throw for power, so the high throw of Mags is one of their selling factors.

I must be one of the unenlightened still since I prefer more throw to more flood style beams for the most part. Just as I prefer longer runtimes over greater lumens. Interesting how different people like different things...

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you'll find that most flashlights are fixed focus with a minority being adjustable focus. And needless to say, the most notable of the minority is Mag Instrument products.

math314 said:
Aside from SureFire flashlights, which flashlights out there have pre-focussed (i.e. non-adjustable, always focussed) optics? I just hate adjusting the focus of a flashlight.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
None of my M*gs lose focus very easily. None are completely stock either!

Some plumbers teflon tape will make them harder to focus. And a nicely overdriven frosted bulb will make a NICE beam.

Pax et Lux

Enlightened
It's only really Mags that focus - which I find a bit of a gimmic, to be honest.

When I was using stock Minimags I'd always set the focus to a similar point, so I'd get throw but just enough flood. Full flood is too ringy, and all throw gives the follow-the-bouncing ball effect.

Now, if I want throw I use a ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon, and if I'm indoors and want flood, well a Minimag w/Nite Ize or a Gerber Infinity Ultra see the most use.

Does the Streamlight Scorpion focus?

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Scorpion, TL-2, and NF-2 can all be adjusted for focus, though not with the cammed reflector. While it was never documented, the focus on the old Streamlight Kel-Lites could also be adjusted.

Pax et Lux said:
Does the Streamlight Scorpion focus?