If you could only have ~$250 worth of these lights, which ones would you choose?

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The original question is no longer valid. Most recent update is at post #48

It's interesting that the prices I listed in this first post from almost exactly one year ago are very similar to what those lights would sell for today (11/20/07) in the BST. The Fenix's are probably worth a little less, but the rest have held their value.

=================================

The lights in question:

I bought these so i could check them all out but only intended to keep about 1/2 of them. Now that I've got them I'm having trouble deciding. The FF3 is a keeper, the rest I'm not sure.

I thought it would be interesting to see what other people would do in this situation. Here's a list of the lights from top to bottom, and their approx BST value:

Arc AAA-P - $35
Fenix L0PSE - $35
Jetbeam MKI with all tubes, 1 trit - $70
Fenix L2T with 123 tube - $55
Fenix P1 - $35
FireFly 3 - $130
HDS B42 XRGT with UWAJ mod - $120?

Let's hear some opinions :)

Last edited:

TENMMIKE

Enlightened
keep the arc and the FF~3( damn nice light , just wish doug would keep up), take the LOPSE and the B42 and sell for $$$ send cash to miller mods ,for MM arc mod . have $$ left over .enjoy yourself

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with tenmike. Keep the Arc and send it to MM...keep the FF-3...just cause. Gift the rest for Christmass. Have fun buying back up with newer brighter stuff over the next year.

Ken

RonnieBarlow

Enlightened
I'm a sucker for modded B42s, so I'd keep that.

I'd also keep the P1 and the L2T/123 combo.

Add the Arc to the list, and I think you're done! ;)

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
You really wouldn't keep the FF3? It's interesting that the lights you mentioned (not counting the Arc) are at the top of my 'Sell' list right now.

B42 - I really like this one, but it's hard justify it and the FF3, and then not have a AA or AAA light.

P1 - I think it's great for the price, but the FF3 and Jetbeam 123 do the same job but better.

L2T - I figure I'll keep it or the Jetbeam set. This is a tough choice, but I'm leaning towards the Jet

RonnieBarlow

Enlightened
I don't care for the FF3. I'd like it a lot better if it ran on plain ol' 123s. And quite frankly, the creator doesn't exactly instill confidence in me. How long have people been waiting for the latest run?

I love the HDS lights. Henry simply got it right. My modded B42 is probably my favorite light right now.

As for the P1, well, it's cheap and bright. :)

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
WallaceD said:
I don't care for the FF3. I'd like it a lot better if it ran on plain ol' 123s. And quite frankly, the creator doesn't exactly instill confidence in me. How long have people been waiting for the latest run?

The manual says it will run on non-rechargeable 123s. I agree with you on the confidence thing. I'd be irritated if I was waiting on a new one and I didn't even consider trying to get one that way.

The HDS is defanitly the #2 out of this group, but I'm having a hard time justifying holding onto much more than a couple hundred $ in lights. Even that much seems a little outrageous (I know it's like pocket change to alot of people here!). The fact that the XR-E lights are coming out now makes me even more reluctant to hold on to too many of these lights. If I was more confident the HDS would hold it's value over the next year I'd be more inclined to hold on to it.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
WallaceD said:
I love the HDS lights. Henry simply got it right. My modded B42 is probably my favorite light right now.

I'll second that. The HDS is a very fine light. I've got two of them. And you've already said the FF3 is a keeper. I think you also need to keep the L0PSE for a keychain light. I've got a L0P on my keychain, and I wouldn't part with it.

Sorry, that's a bit over your budget. If you have to stay under $250, sell the FF3 too. That's easy for me to say, since I don't own one. :)

RonnieBarlow

Enlightened
dammitjim said:
The manual says it will run on non-rechargeable 123s. I agree with you on the confidence thing. I'd be irritated if I was waiting on a new one and I didn't even consider trying to get one that way.

Yeah, but DSpeck himself said performance with primary 123s was rather dismal.

No thanks. Just give me an HDS EDC! Heh.

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lots of good ideas.........I would keep the FF3 for every day pocket carry, send the Arc4 to MM for modding. Sell the rest.

Will give you some cash for something "new" that comes along.

The HDS EDC B42 IS IMO a great light and should hold it's value as it's not being made anymore; course with the Cree "craze", who knows?

jeffb

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
The B42 (with a SS or Ti bezel a must) is a great, tough, versatile light. Its my EDC, along with an L0P on my keychain. They both get a lot of use. On top of those two, I would recommend a small CR2 light when you don't want a pocket bulge.

The Arc AAA is a nice piece of work, but I personally hate bluish LEDlight, and the LED is overdriven and will over time slowly lose output. Now if you give it a MillerMods Cree upgrade, we are in very different territory!

fleegs

Enlightened
This is a tough one.

Meeting your criteria I would keep the FF3 and B42. Sell the rest.

If it was me and I had to attempt to get to 250- I would keep the LOP-SE, FF3 and B42. Actually, I would prefer to have the FF3, B42 and a CR2 Ion. Yep way past 250. The CR2 Ion has a great beam for reading, changing batts and doing flashlight maintenance in the field.

For me the FF3 is the all around light. If I had to keep one, it would be the FF3. Not because of overall performance but because I could keep it in my pocket and it performs like a big light (best output (light/throw) for size). With a CR2 Ion for back up.

OMG, I am hoping the next FF3s come out with the Cree XR-E.

Good Luck,
rob

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I think the following would be a versatile & practical group:

Arc AAA-P - $35
Jetbeam MKI with all tubes, 1 trit - $70
Fenix P1 - $35
HDS B42 XRGT with UWAJ mod - $120

Ok, so you're $10 over budget - but worth it!

Last edited:

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
fleegs said:
Actually, I would prefer to have the FF3, B42 and a CR2 Ion.

I'm thinking of selling doing just that. What's holding me back is that I'd like a AA and AAA light as well. And that budget thing...

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Minimum setup:
Just the FireFly 3 and L0PSE, $165

Mid-level "meet $250" setup I think you would most like:
1) FireFly 3 - $130
2) Arc AAA-P - $35
3) Fenix L2T with CR123 tube - $55
Total of $220

Maximum setup:
1) FireFly 3 - $130
2) HDS EDC 42 - $120
3) L0PSE - $35
Total of $285, but all very useable lights

Even though I like the Jetbeam, it has no low level. If you are OK with that, then the Jet is a good option for a new total of $235.

The HDS is an awesome light, but the FF3 does all the same things and is smaller. The HDS strengths are the clicky interface, control and protection circuits - throw any 123 into it without worry.
The P1 is a single level version of the FF3. It's good for pocket carry where you don't want to scratch or lose the FF3. Good to get if you don't have a FF.

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I sold the L2T, P1 and a L0PSE (I had 3). I like the Jetbeam, and aside from the 2 levels, it does what the L2T and P1 do.

I don't think I can sell the Arc just because, and I'll probably keep 1 L0PSE. The FF3 is a keeper, and I got a cool bezel for the HDS and I really like that thing now. So I guess I'm stuck with what, $390ish in lights? Plus the CR2 Ion that I want to get. And the Cree something that I plan to get soon.

This is a completely ridiculous amount of money to have in flashlights.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a completely ridiculous amount of money to have in flashlights.

Quality flashlights though Dammitjim...quality flashlights.
smile.gif

Good call on keeping the HDS & Arc as well.
thumbsup.gif

CFU