Power Outage!

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
My neighborhood lost power around 2200 last night due to 65mph+ winds and downed trees.

Flashlights:

I used my SL PP Lux AA to do my standard evening closing-down-the-house routine, then settled into bed with my wife. We both read by the light of a DB-3W modded 3D Mag propped on the headboard with the reflector removed until we went to sleep. I got called to work around 0300 today and returned around 0445; used a Nite-Ize modded MiniMag to navigate the bedroom without waking the wife. Around 0600 I used my SL PP Lux AA to crank up the generator. Ran an extension cord next door for the elderly couple's O2 concentrator and invited them to breakfast. I used another DB-3W modded 3D Mag and a G2/P61 to check near trees and power lines for damage; nearly none in the immediate area.

My house is warm and toasty from the wood stove. I'm listening to my wife sing along with the radio, also listening to the throb of the generator outside the garage. I got to watch the sun rise while eating bacon, eggs, and grits with my wife and neighbors. Sipping my third cup of tea. And lastly, I'm sitting here at the computer, reading CPF.

Ah yes, life is good!
:buddies:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree. It's one thing to play with flashlights and I suppose there are some who even fulfill fantasies with them, but real power outages (especially in large urban areas) are no joke, and certainly not a playtime. Those in the public safety professions have to be on the highest level of alert, and it's more a time to be ensuring the safety of your own family and that of your neighbors.

Sigman said:
You folks are "SICK"!! :poke: :ohgeez:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Brighteyez said:
I agree. It's one thing to play with flashlights and I suppose there are some who even fulfill fantasies with them, but real power outages (especially in large urban areas) are no joke, and certainly not a playtime. Those in the public safety professions have to be on the highest level of alert, and it's more a time to be ensuring the safety of your own family and that of your neighbors.

Obviously, power outages are no fun.... but when they're over, and everyone is safe, a bit of sarcastic fun is not out of line. :grin2:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
AndyTiedye said:
You should try living in a heavily forested area. We get them all the time out here.

The way Con-Edison is running things in NYC, pretty soon; I'll be able to say the same thing! :awman: