Which Infinity Ultra? (and possible alternatives)

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need a compact LED flashlight. Since I like efficiency and have large pockets, I've decided against a 1-AAA, and I've focused my attention on the Gerber Infinity Ultra 1-AA light.

I've found a standard Infinity Ultra for £12 and a "Ultra M" version for $25 (all without shipping).
M apparently stands for "Military".

How is the "M" version better than the standard one? Is it just the toughness, or does it use a brighter LED as well?
Since it costs exactly double I'd like some advice before I plop down the money...

Also: are there any alternatives in the compact 1-AA field?

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have either (and the old models aren't relevent here) but as I understand it, the military Gerber version is just the regular version with reduced light sidespill (for better military stealth) and hard anodizing. To me, it sounds less useful than the standard version, not to mention costing more.

As for alternatives, most 1AA lights run brighter (and therefore shorter) than the Infinity. The Fenix L1S or L1T running on low might be a candidate, or one of the 0.5W 1AA lights. Also check J2LED's sales page for 1AA nuwais. Note, J2LED prices are quoted in Canadian $ so they are cheaper in US $.

Last edited:

nmiller

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had both Gerbers and I'd strongly recomend the regular version. It has a much better floody beam to it. The M is more expensive probably because it has the additional lense, and I beleive it is made in the states. Other than that, the only thing that looks weaker on the non-m version is the pocket clip. The Ultra-M had a slightly bigger, and stronger clip. Other than that nerdgineer is right. Take a look at the Fenix lights. An L1T although more expensive will give you a lot more light with good run time on low, decent run time on high, and a clicky as well. Its a nice little light.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dammit, now I'm drooling over the Luxeon lights.
Ok, three more questions:

I'm having a look at various ebay auctions, and I'm seeing the light output for the L1S is quoted at 37 lumens, exactly the same as the L1T. Shouldn't the L1T be considerably brighter (and hungrier)? It's got a 3W led after all.

Which is brighter: the L1T or the Jet mark 2?

If I wanted to go for the standard-LED lights regardless, what are the differences between the Infinity Ultra and the Peak Kilimanjaro?

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the M has hard anodizing whereas the regular is type II anodizing. I think there are also doulble O rings on the M as well. The infinity ultra was my very first LED light. Even though I now have other high end lights I still like using the IU around the house at night.

Lightmania

Enlightened
I got the red-LED black-body Infinity Ultra and the white-LED black Peak Kilimanjaro and while I can't really compare the LED outputs (dont have a white-LED Infinity Ultra), I can tell you a bit about the body.

I like the Peak one better. It had better finish, with it being hard anodized where the Inifinity Ultra is just anodized. Both came with clip and I like the clip that came with the Ultra Inifinity better than the standard clip that came with my Kilimanjaro -- it sits on the side of my pocket better. For battery replacements, the LED head comes off on the Kilimanjaro where else the Infinity Ultra's tail comes off and its LED head does not. In both cases, the parts that twists off is also the "switch" for completing the electric circuit.

A couple things I can comment on these's LED output is that the Kilimanjaro's output is pretty white. There are a couple rings but otherwise very nice output. The red LED on the Ultra Infinity that I had was full of rings and it was also off-set to a small angel from the center but it had the right type of red color that I look for in a night vision saving red light.

Hope this helps!

Lightmania

Last edited:

Lightmania

Enlightened
link removed -- revolvergeek posted the same link.

Last edited:

Pax et Lux

Enlightened
I have the Gerber IU, and find it the best reading-in-bed light ever made. It's also OK for use around the house, late at night - but not up to it for any serious outdoor use.

It is a general utility light: useful to have around for its runtime, tho' somewhat limited by its low light level (but what do you expect for that 10-hour-plus runtime?)

If you want more light, and less runtime, I'd recommend the Civictor V1. It's smaller than the IU and goes into a pocket better, but lacks the clip. I tend to only use my EDC for short bursts as I'll grab something bigger when I know I'm going outdoors after dark, so I don't find runtime to be such an issue.

wmirag

Enlightened
I bought the M version about 5 months ago. The beam was narrow and weak. I suppose it has SOME use to SOMEONE. But I found it useless for me so I gave it to a local kid within days of receiving it.

W.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, after a LOT of thinking, I'm about to order a Fenix L1S. There's no point in getting the L1T with the 1-AA body, as light output is almost the same but battery life is worse. If I were getting the 2-AA body the 3W luxeon would be the obvious choice as it's so much more powerful, but I'm not, so it isn't.

Any last ideas before I click the button? Alternatives? Anything?

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the L1S is an excellent choice. However If you don't need the high brightness mode of the Fenix, I can strongly recommend the Peak Pacific with the 1AA body over an Infinity. It normally comes configured with a 1aaa body but they will substitue 1AA body at no charge if you ask. It is a LuxIII LED under driven at about 100mA (about 10 lumens), so it appears twice as bright as an Infinity, the beam is much whiter and smoother. It runs for around 10 hrs fully regulated.

If you call Peak can also adjust the drive level so if you wanted one driven at 350mA you can get that (not sure if they charge for that)

Here is their crappy not very informative website:
http://www.peakledsolutions.net/Pacific.html
They also have their own forum on CPF where you can find out much more info on the Peak products.

Last edited:

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm. I dunno, a 3W luxeon so severely underdriven feels to me like a V8 engine that runs on two cylinders. And if you're running on two cylinders all the time you might as well get a moped.

I think I'll stick to the L1S. After all, its low power mode should give me plenty of run time.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had the original Infinity, non-Ultra, for about 5 years and the thing is so dim, I've used it exactly once.

Just about the only good thing I can think of, it can burn up cells which other lights choke on.

So you have to pick an Ultra, as you are. I am thinking about a red Ultra. The original was very dim, I wonder how much brighter the new one is.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you need a 1xAA light with long runtime, the Innova X-1 is a good value. Can be had for $20 at Target. IIRC they were also on sale for ~$18 recently, but I don't know where. It is well made, though not in the same class as the Peak products, which is why it is less expensive.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
After all that, I just wanted to add that I've had most types of 1AA light, and the light I find the most useful (my opinion) is the Fenix E1: absolutely flat regulation for 2 hrs with an alky AAA, close to 6 hours off a lithium, probably 4 times brighter than the Infinity ultra, hard anodized, AR coated glass lens, teeny tiny, reliable twisty, disappears into your pocket, $24 shipped from Fenix Store, and on and on...

Spordin

Enlightened
Not sure where some are getting their info. If you want bright, don't get the I.U. If you want pretty bright/pretty good runtime, don't get the I.U. If you want a light for a long hiking or camping trip or for longterm emergencies that will give *48 hours* of adequate output from a measley 1xAA alkaline, there isn't anything better (yet) than the regular I.U. Except for maybe the Palite or the Pak-Lite which use a 9v. The I.U. is a niche light, and still fills that niche very well.