Burningman

InTheDark

Enlightened
To tell you the truth, I don't really know either. But I'll let you know in about a month. But judging from some of the pictures I've seen on it, it seemed like a lot of people on this board would be part of it, or maybe a lot of people at burningman would be interested in this board. Lots of light sculptures and stuff.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
My neighbor and the owner of berkeleypoint, T.Jay is an active BM'r. I assisted in some costumes (fiber optic lighting w/ LED's) for he and crew last year.

This group of free spirits is creative and out there!

- Don

Saaby

Flashaholic
Realize that even if it looks odd to us it's perfectly normal for them. My friend was over here last night whilst I was chatting and he thought I was once again off my rocker (I need a seatbelt for that thing)

"Wait, there are people that are worse than you??"

Well...not worse persay, just have more lights than I do. I don't have many lights

and so the conversation continued. Anyway I lied earlier, it's not on a beach, it's on a playa, which is...like a beach without the water, kind of.

InTheDark

Enlightened
Mcgizmo
Is your neighbor going this year? I've never been there and I still don't know what it is, this year will be my first. It looks like fun. A little strange, but fun. It's almost like a week long acid trip in the middle of the desert.

and I'll try and avoid the Kool-Aid.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I don't think he has decided yet. I know he wants to but has just started a new job....

BTW, Saaby called it a beach but you obviously know that's not the case. The weather and conditions there can be very challenging, to say the least. I'm sure it will be an experience you won't forget! A good test bed for flashlights in extreme conditions!

- Don

InTheDark

Enlightened
Being the generous guy that I am, I am willing to take peoples flashlights with me to the middle of the desert and test them for you. I have plenty of room in my car for everyone's lights.

McGizmo, don't you want to how your surefire will hold up in the desert? Just gimme a weeks supply of batteries and I'll tell you. Darell, this offer applies to your ARC-LS too.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Yeah, Noooo problem. Count on me...... and you will live up to your name at BM
tongue.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by InTheDark:
[QB]Being the generous guy that I am, I am willing to take peoples flashlights with me to the middle of the desert and test them for you. I have plenty of room in my car for everyone's lights.[QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I made the same offer when I went to camp...no one siezed the oppertunity though
frown.gif
wonder why...
wink.gif

InTheDark

Enlightened
Yeah, I wonder why people won't just hand over their lights to a total stranger
confused.gif
Anyway, I'm starting to contemplate buying the Mculloh HID light before I go. This will really be the only time I have a somewhat legitimate excute to buy it.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Could that be a bump? Anyway it was interesting how it came out in the active daily posts, it came out as...

BURNING MANBrightnorm

Saaby

Flashaholic
Q. What is Burning Man?
A. Burning Man is an annual experiment in temporary community dedicated to radical self-expression and radical self-reliance. Check out What Is Burning Man on this web site for more information, read the other articles on this site and visit other web sites for a broader understanding of the Burning Man event. Before you contemplate attending, you probably want to read our Survival Guide -- it's not as easy as it looks! If you wish to truly understand and comprehend Burning Man, you need to attend the event - it's unlike anything you've ever experienced!

Q. What night does the Man burn?
A. Saturday night before Labor Day.
(That's just slightly scary)

Q. Will I be able to leave and return to the event?
A. While leaving Black Rock City during the event and returning to the real world will probably be the last thing on your mind, in and out passes are available at the gate for $20. If you leave without receiving a pass, you will not be able to return without paying full price for a ticket again. Of course, emergencies do arise - sundries must be purchased, offices must be called. For these, we encourage you to avail yourself of our daily $5 bus service to Empire and Gerlach. See the Preparation section of this FAQ for further information.

It goes on and on on the FAQ page. Looks like a big camp set on a beech for a week and then they leave and try to "leave to trace." I don't know it sounds a little odd but it might be fun some time, they encourage you not to leave but if half way through the week you wanted to there's nothign stopping you.

JollyRoger

Enlightened
This is slightly off topic, but you guys ever hear of some bike ride at night, done under the light of a full moon out in the desert somewhere? It's some kind of organized event...

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
JollyRoger:

Burning Man runs for about 5 days each mid-August. My 22 year old son regrets he has had schedule conflicts the last 4 years and this year that prevented him from attending. It is in rural Arizona if I remember correctly.

I'm not sure what actually happens there, but I gather that it's very free form with music and exposure to controlled substances. I'm told that many people of the Woodstock generation see this as one of their few remaining similar regularly scheduled attractions.

mcjamison

Newly Enlightened
Burning Man is great fun - I plan on going for the fourth time this year. I won't try to describe it, when the web site or a google search will do it much more extensively.

While being a flashaholic doesn't necessarily mean you'll enjoy Burning Man, it's certainly a place where it comes in handy. Much of the activity happens at night, after the heat of the desert day, and it's far from urban light sources. Distinctive lighting helps your friends keep track of you, and helps cyclists avoid you, as well as being part of your personal expression. There are some AMAZING EL-wire creations, and wonderful illuminated costumes and conveyances and camps of all sorts. And of course, you're camping in the desert, so you need light for camp activities and finding your way to the porta-potties.

While there isn't much need for ultra-bright long-distance illumination, it can be handy to have; and an E2 flashed into the thick air in the middle of a raging dust storm blowing over a dance party looks really cool. So do little things like a blue Photon light clipped deep into the folds of a bridal veil.

This year, illumination will be even more important, as the moon will be heading toward its Sept. 6th new moon, so it will be dim and up at inconvenient times. Last year, the moon was close to full, and thus would rise soon after sunset.

The Man burns on Saturday night, so a large portion of the population chooses to try to avoid the departure backup by leaving Sunday day or night; if you leave camp on Sunday evening, I suggest leaving some flashing lights or other distinctive markers at your camp, as the local landscape may end up changing so much that you'll have difficulty otherwise. (A bad few have been known to steal the street signs as souvenirs).

It's not for everyone, but if you go, I hope you have fun!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I get a few emails a month from people telling me I should be at BM with that torch of a wheelchair of mine. In all the photographs I've seen of the event though, not once have I seen a handicapped Port-O-Let, so I'd probably be stuck with nowhere to "go". Finding a place to charge my chair 8 hours a day (or more, if I brought extra batteries) might also be a bit tricky.
tongue.gif

This is one event I'll have to enjoy vicariously.