• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Interest thread -- yep, another 18650 Light

Leef

Enlightened
What do you guys make of this one? :huh2:

1x18650, LE, reflector, lens and bezel from The Shoppe (Aleph 2 stuff), SF clicky or twisty tail cap. So no head to buy, no joint between body & head. It's a natural for a pocket clip.

This could also be made for 1x18500.

img7549ty5.jpg

img7548ej6.jpg

img7552li5.jpg

Last edited:

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Another interest thread -- yep, an 18650 lite

Looks very nice.... but I vote for that body/tailcap hosting an A19 Cree head!

:)

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast

sweet!

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Make a C series clicky body for the 27LT while your at it :D
And ofcource use the already existing Ti Clip in the design.

:whistle:

Benny

myk

Enlightened
oh hell yes

earlier today i was thinking.. if only someone made an 18650 light without a huge head on it - just a tube shape.

I'm in for one - as long as the price is reasonable when assembled

vacuum3d

Enlightened
How is the LE installed? Screwed in or just sit between the reflector and battery? I'm interested to know if heat can effectively dissipate. If you make it, please allow for the small height difference between different LE's.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
I'd be in for one, providing it is Cree'd.
I've had an idea for a similar light that I've been trying to make into a reality, and here you come doing it for me! We must have ESP!
john

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Carpe Diem said:
Looks very nice.... but I vote for that body/tailcap hosting an A19 Cree head!

:)

DITTO!

Leef

Enlightened
Here's more info. Altho one could offer this as a complete light, since the few skills I have lie in the mechanical world (not electronic), I've been assuming that if this project has legs, I'd sell the bare tubes (anodized, of course). That way, you electronics guys could use whatever LE and emitter you like.

Cree? Sure. I, too, am very impressed by the A19 Cree lights the Shoppe is selling, altho I'm not convinced that Wayne's not pushing the emitter so hard that reliability might suffer (but, then, I don't know about these things).

The McR to LE distance is adjustable via the assembly process.

Assembly: from the front, screw the LE in too far (viz., below its final location). Then drop in the McR, lens and o-ring, and screw on the bezel. Then, coming in from the rear, screw the LE forward until it touches the McR. This takes a bit of fiddling with makeshift tools, but if this goes to production, the correct (very inexpensive) tool could be included with the body.

Drop in the 18650, screw on tail cap, and fling some photons. :grin2:

In some cases, the (+) terminal of the LE won't touch the battery, in which cases I usually build up the LE terminal with a tiny bit of solder. A small magnet works, but that worries me as to possible shorting.

I would drill/tap the body for the standard Ti clip the Shoppe sells. Or, I have my own thoughts about clip designs.

The obvious drawback to this design is that there are no options for different heads, as there are with my other LeefTube that uses standard SF-E, Aleph threads.

I made a mistake with this prototype -- the knurling should stop about 1" behind the front. IMHO, it looks strange with the knurling going as far forward as on this prototype. A small groove could be machined into the tube, abt. 1" back from the front, to simulate the traditional separate-head look.

This light uses the world-famous LeefRing for a lanyard, as well as the LeefGrip (on the market in a couple of weeks) to allow the stogie hold.

I think I need a real job. :laughing:

Last edited:

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Leef said:
Here's more info. Altho one could offer this as a complete light, since the few skills I have lie in the mechanical world (not electronic), I've been assuming that if this project has legs, I'd sell the bare tubes (anodized, of course). That way, you electronics guys could use whatever LE and emitter you like...

Leef,

Don't bother with complete lights. Focus on what you do best and minimize the work on your part. CPF is (mostly) about DIY and there are very few individuals who can do the whole flashlight thing soup to nuts. It's also a way to contain costs for those of us who can do the other aspects of flashlight assembly.

Leef said:
I think I need a real job. :laughing:

Hey, I thought flashlights ARE our real jobs :nana:

Lightmania

Enlightened
Pardon my newbie-ness, but is LE some type of LED? Google was no helps -- too many words with "le". Hope its a bright light! Also, this 18650 body, I take it the thread starter made it himself? Could not find it at the Shoppe.

I'm very interested in this 18650 setup!

Thanks,

Lightmania

supes

Enlightened
I really like the form factor of this light. Barrel like. I'm in!! And another "Heck YES!" for Cree in this one. It's only appropriate.

Why do you guys alway come out with something new and cool like every couple of weeks? Yes my priority is flashlights, THEN food. :D

Last edited:

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Lightmania said:
Pardon my newbie-ness, but is LE some type of LED? Google was no helps -- too many words with "le". Hope its a bright light! Also, this 18650 body, I take it the thread starter made it himself? Could not find it at the Shoppe.
Hi there :wave:

"LE" stands for Light Engine - it's the parts that hold the actual LED and the converter driving it. The nice part of the the Aleph system is you can swap out one LE with one kind of LED and/or convertor, with an entirely different one - just by unscrewing the old one, and putting the new one in.

Leef did indeed make the 18650 body (18650 is a battery type), and the switch looks to be a pre-made switch. The Shoppe doesn't sell it, as this is Leef's project and prototype.

john :)

Edit: forgot to mention, that the 18650 battery is made & available by AW here.

Last edited: