LED in cell phones?

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got the 5140. It's, either, a 5mm or a 3mm, but I'm not sure which. It's dimmer than most keychain lights. It has come in handy, though. It's enough to illuminate a map or navigate though a darned house, but it's probably dimmer than anybody here would hope.

ROVER

Newly Enlightened
My buddy has a different Nokia "with flashlight" similar to that model. It has one 5mm led recessed in the top. I only played with it a little bit, but I wouldn't say it's one of the best 5mm leds around. You could definately gain some brightness by swapping a premium 5mm led in it, assuming you're okay with opening your phone and good at soldering in tight places.

mmace1

Enlightened
I've played with a 2126i (from Tracfone). I always assumed it was probably a 3mm on top, not bright at all, but better than nothing. But perhaps its just a not-so-great 5mm?

The new Sanyo M1 from Sprint has a flashlight in it, not sure how bright though.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The screen is brighter than the LEDs they stick in there. I guess the LED is probably more efficient though.

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a Nokia 1100 and I've taken it apart on multiple occasions. Appears to be a Nichia 5mm although my knowledge of LEDs if lacking at best. When I get some time I'll extract the LED out of broken one I have lying around here and take some photos. Someone please remind me if I forget. I am always busy.
Shao

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got one in my Nokia 1101's, I'll leave one on and see how long the battery lasts..

PhantomZ

Enlightened
i have the 5140. looks to me its a 3mm. its not as bright as the photons or photon clones but its plenty bright enough to walk to my bed with after i turn off the lights. i loved the phone and wish my current phone 6620 had a light. as for the runtime.. it would stay on for a few days i'm sure. i tried leaving it on a day to drain whats left of the battery before i charge it ,but i was impatiant so i turned off the light, charged it and went to bed.

Bill97z

Newly Enlightened
Sad....CREE stock was down like 20% today because they warned of lower tahn expected earnings this quarter. They said that LED sales for cell phones were lower than expected....oh well.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
abvidledUK said:
I've got one in my Nokia 1101's, I'll leave one on and see how long the battery lasts..

4 days, 100 hours I stopped the run.

Battery nearly depleted.

Nokia BL5C li-ion battery

CELICA XX

Newly Enlightened
My wife has a cheap Kyocera K493 (I think) cell phone with a built in LED flashlight.

It looks like one 5mm LED.

26792_pdi.gif

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Planterz said:
The screen is brighter than the LEDs they stick in there. I guess the LED is probably more efficient though.

Nope, not the case at the all. The LED in my 5140 is way brighter than the screen.