Picking a Personal Peak as Perfect as Possible ... ??

tm3

Newly Enlightened
i want to get one of the peak lights as a keychain light. i like the brass finish option.

couple of questions:

1) LED color. any practical reason to pick something over white? i realize red preserves night vision, i'm not worried about that. opinions?

2) AA/AAA power vs 123. i'm not really sure about what kind of brightness/runtime i need. i'm thinking that this light will be carried a lot more than it is used, but hard to tell at this point as i don't have a keychain light.

the size and weight seems to be simlar between the caribbean, glacier bay, kilamanjaro, at least from looking at the www site.

too many choices! thanks for the help.

Wow, well there is alot to consider. Do you need super bright, or are you happy with a nice medium bright white light? If you want super bright you'll probably want to go with the Caribbean. Plus, it's shorter with a 1xCR123 body. Of course, being Peak, you can always interchange the Caribbean head with a McKinley head (they work off the same 1xCR123 body). The Caribbean will be a bit longer than the McKinley but WAY brighter. The Matterhorn and Kilimanjaro will be longer and slimmer and, frankly, probably a better fit for keychain use. If you go with a Matterhorn or Kilimanjaro, I'd recommend SNOW white LED's.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Maybe on a keychain it won't make a difference, but for pocket carry I really noticed the extra weight of the brass in a Matterhorn vs. an Arc AAA. But the look and feel of brass is hard to beat.

Geoff

tm3

Newly Enlightened
thanks! sounds like the M or K with the white LED is the right pick.

it is hard to tell how bright i need until i start using it. i'm thinking it mainly will be to find keyholes, dropped car keys ... wait, if the light is on the keys i'm in trouble!

tm3 said:
thanks! sounds like the M or K with the white LED is the right pick.

it is hard to tell how bright i need until i start using it. i'm thinking it mainly will be to find keyholes, dropped car keys ... wait, if the light is on the keys i'm in trouble!

Not just white. Snow white. :grin2:

tm3

Newly Enlightened
i just read the thread about 123 vs AA/AAA. makes sense to me to go with the AA/AAA. plus i can get AAs at a bit of a discount.

h_nu

Enlightened
AA is large for keychain use and brass is heavy. I would suggest the Matterhorn with a AAA Lithium battery. That's my favorite.

If you think AA is the way to go, get a Pacific with the optional AA body and an optional CR2 body. That will give you the flexibility to try other options. My Pacific is Aluminum for the weight and I use Lithium but don't keychain carry it.

tm3

Newly Enlightened
good points -- AAA it is.

if i was not so enchanted with the brass body i'd probably be considering the fenix or arc lights as well.

thanks for the help!