P1D / P1D-CE Threads Loose?

how are the threads on your Fenix P1D[-CE] threads?

• Not Loose, what's the fuss?

Votes: 39 29.1%
  • Loose: but I like it that way.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Loose: I don't like it, but I won't send it back for this.

Votes: 37 27.6%
  • Loose: I sent or will send mine back for this.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I don't have a P1D-CE but want to say again "I REALLY WANT ONE!"

Votes: 47 35.1%

• Total voters

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine aren't really loose, but they are dry. What should I use to lube them so that they are a little smoother? I was hoping there is a lube that can be used for all (at least most) of my lights so that I don't have to buy a bunch of different kinds.

Any help is appreciated. :)

javafool

Enlightened
I used some ProGold to lubricate the threads on my P1D-CE and it helped a lot. The reason the loos threads bother me is when I turn it on, it almost always blinks which means it comes on in high mode. This means I have to go all the way through the modes to get it back to normal (medium) which is what I normally use.

Don't get me wrong, I really like this flashlight!

Freedom1955

Enlightened
I like the loose threads. Because they are so loose if you turn the head and stop just before the light comes on you can then sqeeze the head between your index finger and your thumb and pull it towards the body of the light and it will come on:drool:. Release and it goes off:rock:! Momentary mode:naughty:! All one handed.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast

Java , you don't have to go thru the modes / just wait 2 seconds .

Mine is loose and does that too .......... it is annoying .

I hope it won't get any worse - causing me to return it .

The threads really do need to match better ....... or just add a clickie button to it .

(and bye-the-way , why the big gap between the body and the head ???? ( not yours ..... the Light)

Last edited:

thk

Newly Enlightened
I kind of like it loose. I can set the light so that if I pull back on the head, I get a "momentary" feature. :p

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, loose now...total slop later. If these had a clicky the loosness would not be a concern...but after a few hundred twists...med low high...on and off...I wonder if there`s trouble around the corner.

It`s a shame to have to tape up the threads on a brand new light.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast

Teflon tape on the threads ......................... ??????

We shouldn't have to do that .

I don't do that on other $70 tools I buy ....... Do YOU ????

Last edited:

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
:):grin2::laughing:

At this point in our existance on the Earth ..................

We have walked on the Moon ........

We have Cell Phones and GPS navigation and X-box ........

We have bullets that turn corners , seek-out and destroy the enemy ...............

We have nuclear Aircraft carriers and Cruise Missles and ( Al Gore ... who invented the internet )

But we still have to accept $70 lights with loose threads and dark rings in the beam .............

Ohhh ............ Ba ... Hum-Bug ............. Merry Christmas ............. TMG/:ohgeez:

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's funny, the only negative post I made about the original P1 was that after a few weeks I had trouble turning it on and off with one hand.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can also put a thicker O-ring on it. I adjust my FireFly action that way. I don't do it for loose threads, though as the FF threads are excellent by anyone's standards. Lots of people rave about the build quality of the FF.

- If I'm going to EDC it for a while or carry it on a trip, I put the thicker o-ring in it for harder turning so it won't come on in my pocket withought having to unscrew it a lot. It is still OK one handed this way, just requires more deliberate turning.
- If I'm leaving it at home out of EDC rotation, then I put the original o-ring on it that gives me silky smooth action for easy one hand on-off.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tronic said:
Mine are loose, like every light that I have from China. :(

:ohgeez:.... Well ............ by this time .........

We've sent em enough money buying lights ... they should be able to up-grade their lathes .

Maybe their threads don't improve cause not enough buyers of their product ... request improvement ???

Criticism of a product is not a bad thing .....it brings improvement .... if they listen .

And if they want to continue to get your business .

.................... TMG/:grin2:

Last edited:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe that the thread quality is quite good. The problem is probably the amount of material they are starting with before cutting the threads.

Tachion

Newly Enlightened
timcodes said:
I suggest to put teflon plumbing tape on it?
Will the teflon tape last long if you keep turning the light on and off? i.e. could it be considered a somewhat permanent solution?

And what about the heat conductivity through the Teflon? Is it good enough?

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
The quality of thread is OK .

They are removing too much material - causing loose , mis-matched threads .

Thats all .............................. TMG/*

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tachion said:
Will the teflon tape last long if you keep turning the light on and off? i.e. could it be considered a somewhat permanent solution?

And what about the heat conductivity through the Teflon? Is it good enough?
:grin2::grin2::grin2:

No ..... the tape is easily cut by the threads ,,, and may have to be replaced every 2nd battery change .

It is not a permanent solution to production flaws .

It needs to be corrected at the source . (imho)

........... TMG/:grin2:

LowTEC

Enlightened
timcodes said:
I suggest to put teflon plumbing tape on it?

It would only good if you don't have to twist the head 20 times a day. Last time I check, I don't twist my plumbing on and off every once awhile :lolsign: