Lights with loose threads so much so the head comes off easily

leeholaaho

Newly Enlightened
Scotch tape is the only thing I found that works - it works really well and lasts a long time

I have a Titanium Inovations T1 which I should have sent back and did not use for years until the scotch tape - now it is EDC

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had some Maglites where the heads were fairly loose on the bodies. Plumber's thread tape fixed the loose thread problem on those.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
Teflon plumbers tape. It will not only provide the gap filling effect you want, but it's super smooth and makes the light feel like a million dollars when you twist it.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
If you use Teflon tape you got to really put it on. 4-6 wraps. Then it works great. I have an old Fenix key chain light. A twisty that I wore the hell out of it. This method works. I would never trust my life to it but in a pinch. It's good

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I had a Lumintop EDC01 that I tried the teflon tape on it and lost the head completely it came loose in my pocket I think. I carried an LD01SS for over 10 years and only had 2 incidents of the head coming off mainly due to not screwing it on enough. I replaced the twisty light with a lumintop tool AAA light and have had issues with the clicky being activated a few times and the switch coming loose once but I tightened it down tighter and no more issues.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a reclight mini pineapple that's awesome right now but it might lose its edc place due to loose threads. How well does Teflon tape hold up on a twisty? I would think poorly? Right now I'm waiting for some slightly larger o rings from AE to see it that will do the trick.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have a reclight mini pineapple that's awesome right now but it might lose its edc place due to loose threads. How well does Teflon tape hold up on a twisty? I would think poorly? Right now I'm waiting for some slightly larger o rings from AE to see it that will do the trick.

In my case the teflon worked well but in order to keep from losing the head you had to have it so tight that it was hard to turn on/off and change modes. When you got the action just right it ended up over a short time having the head fall off on you in your pocket. I'm just glad the light didn't have a lithium ion battery in it that could be dangerous with keys and pocket change wandering around to possibly short across battery terminals. One issue I noticed is that not only were the threads loose but the length of the threads, that is how many turns it took to activate the light was woefully too little. In order to back off far enough to not accidentally activate the light there wasn't enough threads left that the 0-ring would help both in sealing against water/dirt intrusion and also help keep the head from falling off. In other words the O-ring was rendered useless because it only was helping when the light was fully on the moment you back it to turn off or switch modes the o-ring was no longer in contact with the head. I tried a larger o-ring and the only effect was it was harder to switch modes and turn on it didn't help with the head wanting to fall off. Basically they needed another 1/16 inch of threads or so so both the o=ring would seal properly and also you could switch modes without loosening the head to the point not much threads left holding it on.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast

teflon works, although I think an O ring swap is the better option

imo, flashlight heads ride mostly on the O ring, not the metal threads, so as the Oring ages and gets looser, or if it is not a tight enough fit, the head can wobble on the threads.

you can observe this by removing the O ring. The threads are not close tolerance. the head will have play in it, in all directions, push pull press, etc.. that is why twisties can be pressed to turn on, if not untwisted enough

I hope you find a good O ring for you pineapple

Last edited:

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
We will see if I guessed right on AE. More generally, can anybody recommend a good assort of o-rings for flashlight hobbiests? The hardware store variety are always far too thick. I'd be happy with either nitrile or silicone.