P61 lamp in a Surefire G2

Monocrom

Flashaholic
While visiting my best friend in Upstate NY last week, I couldn't pass up an excellent deal on a couple of G2s. The day before, I bought a P61 lamp assembly to use in my C2. But after the deal I got, I'm thinking I'd be better off putting the P61 into a G2 instead.

I've heard some concerns that the P61 doesn't work quite as well in the polymer Surefires are it does in the aluminum ones. Anyone have a G2 with the P61 lamp in it? Does it seem to work fine?

Duluth Diesel

Newly Enlightened
P61 lamp works fine in the G2, in my experience. It may get a little hot, and I think the 6P handles it better. The 6P has a glass Pyrex lens and the G2 has a plastic lens. It should work fine, and personally I have not had issues with heat affecting the plastic. I have two G2s and 1 6P. No problems. Run time stinks though - 20 min.

TorchMan

Enlightened
I do have a G2 with P61. I don't have a metal body light to compare it to. I've never been able to do a side by side with the P60, but have switched them out and tried them on targets within short time spans. My opinion of the P61 is that it's brighter, but doesn't throw much farther, instead being more of a flood lighting up appox. twice the area. I've no light meter, but ceiling bounce seemed brighter with the P61. Your MMV, this is only my unscientific observaton.

h2xblive

Enlightened
I use a P61 in my G2 and have no problems with overheating.

Last edited:

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't waste your money with the P61 lamps they will not be twice as bright, they will simply put out twice the lumens.

jayke

Newly Enlightened
I have a G2 with the P60 and P61 lamps. There is not a very noticeable difference to me between the 2. The P61 sucks the batteries too quick when using 2 cr123's.

But to answer your question, I have not had any issues when I do use the P61 in my G2

Bryan

Enlightened
There is a definite difference to me. No issues with the P61 in my G2 either.

I recommend using a pair of protected r123a's and a 9v lamp though.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
My only issue with the P61 in the G2 is the plastic window/lens. I just noticed a few days ago the lens has a thermal wave dead nuts center. Obviously I had it on long enough to soften the lens. I guess it's time to get a glass one.

Size15's

Flashaholic
When I use a G2 (or more usually G2Z) I only use the P61 since I can use an E2e or more usually an A2 otherwise. I really enjoy the high output of the P61 and I like the feel of SureFire's Nitrolon polymer.

If I were to be using the G2 with P61 for more than a minute or two constant-on (which is rare) I would most certainly use a G2Z bezel with it's Pyrex window. I'd also make sure the G2 has a LockOut TailCap since you don't want to waste any battery juice with the P61 sucks the life out of them as quickly as it does.

Al

Skyline

Enlightened
I've been using P61s in my M2 and G2Z -- both with glass lenses. In fact, the G2Z one blew up yesterday. Heard a small pop, the light started dimming, and there was "smoke" filling the bezel. :( After a few seconds, the glass of the bulb fell away like sand. Good thing I had a spare!

If you do use the P61 in your G2, just be sure not to bubble the plastic lens. I did this once with my 6P, and since switched that to the P60.

Also, I do see a difference between the two LAs. The P61 is noticeably whiter with a larger hotspot.

Bryan

Enlightened
I've never had a problem with the P61 melting the stock lens, but you can get a glass lens for around $7 from lighthound or flashlightlens if you're that concerned. No need to spend the money on a new bezel.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
dave43 said:
Where is the best place to get the P61 for a good price?

I got mine at the Biggest Authorized Dealer of Surefire products in NYC - The Army & Navy Store on Canal St. in Manhattan. Paid only $5 more than what you see on Surefire's site. When you add in Shipping & handling and the fact I didn't have to wait for it, it comes out as a very good price.... at least if you live in NYC.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To: everyone else -

Thanks for the responses guys, you really helped me to make up my mind. I tend to use my lights for more than a few moments at a time. I have a custom-made 2 spare lithium battery belt pouch that works well. For occassional use the G2 would be fine, according to what you guys posted.

I use my lights longer though, so I think I'll install the P61 in my glass-lensed C2. Thanks again, guys. :)

lukevsdarth

Newly Enlightened
Re: P61 lamp in a Surefire G2 try a P90 instead !!

:grin2:
Well I for sure have a good experience in that field the P60 bulb burned out on me when i loaded RCR123a at supposedly 3.0 volts 650mahs rechargeables. The peak of those batts were 3.9 each. Well instead I got the 9volt P90 big difference a much broader beam less spotty and brighter, since the batts are rechargeable runtime will be irrevalant. I only use them for cell searches and blind people. Even my Sgt borrowed it and used it he was like "hey this is a pretty good light where did you get it?". He didn't know it was modded.

A SF G2 + P90 with 3.7 RCR123A at 1000mahs cap. :naughty:

Fred:candle:

choppers

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 4 G2's and a G2Z with the P61 and it works fine without any problems.

Greenlead

Newly Enlightened
I have the Surefire G2 for the P61 lamp assembly. Since I installed it almost immediately after taking the light out of its packaging, I can't really say how it compares to the P60.

It isn't jaw-dropping bright, but it is bright.

As far as runtime goes, I've had my light for a couple of months, and haven't replaced the batteries yet. But, then, I only use it for short bursts.

InfidelCastro

Banned
The P61 is hugely brighter than the P60. It really does look like twice the output. It is also brighter than the P90.

To me for some reason the P61 vs. P91 is not as impressive as the difference between the P60 and P61..

If I used the P61 in the G2 I would not run it for long stretches because of the lexan lens. Aside from having the pyrex lens that can withstand heat better, among other things, the 6P or C2 whichever you run it in will disipate heat better away from the bulb making for better output. The plastic G2 body has zero heatsinking capability for this purpose.

I've noticed this with my Brinkmann Maxfire as well.

This is not as big a deal in extreme cold temperatures, which is the only reason I have plastic lights like the G2 and Maxfire around at all.

Last edited: