Lube for LOP SE?

Verve

Newly Enlightened
Hi, pretty new here...and to lights. (Thanks for the new addiction by the way, CPF.) :)

My LOP SE is difficult to turn with one hand and I'm wondering about a good lube for it that doesn't mess with the O ring or anything. I've seen some threads about this but was a little overwhelmed -I also saw something about changing the O ring out with the replacement to help make it smoother but had trouble getting the original out of the thread.

Can someone please recommend something, being pretty specific as far as brands? (Or if changing the O ring would be better) I live next door to an Ace, so if they carry anything decent that would be perfect! :grin2:

Oh, and I also have a P1D CE on the way...will I most likely need to put lube on that as well for an easy turn?

Many thanks for advice!

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
I just use silicone vacuum grease on my lights. It's completely inert so shouldn't corrode metal or O-rings.

My L0D takes quite a bit of effort to turn no matter how well lubed. On the other hand my P1D-CE has a very loose threads (commonly remarked upon on CPF) which makes the head extremely easy to turn.

sandbasser

Newly Enlightened
I think part of the issue with the L0P SE is that the o-ring is too big. The light works very easily one-handed with no o-ring.

I emailed Fenix and David was going to mail me some different o-rings; but due to a mis-cue they sent bigger ones rather than smaller ones... Still waiting to resolve this.

In the mean time I'm edc-ing my light without o-rings - so far so good.

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sandbasser is right.

Before thinking that lube will smooth things out, carefully roll the 'o' ring forward out of its groove and see how things are without the ring.

In the case of Fenix, some of the problems are the ring groove not being correctly sized for the ring supplied.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found that, regardless of lube, either supplied O-ring would turn in the groove on the body of the light before sliding against the inside of the head. I stole the O-ring from around the outside of the head on a "AAA Arc Clone" light, and it is a bit smaller than either of the Fenix rings, and has reduced the effort significantly. My original L0P is still easier to turn, though, same for the E1.

Hondo