found a way to keep a flashlight from freezing your hand.

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi all

well as you may have read in one of my earley post it has been freezing cold out here in kansas, well last night i decided my m3t was way to cold to hold but i needed it and did not have gloves on. all you have to do is take co-ban and wrap it around the body of the light wrap it around about 4-6 times or enough where it gets squishey. if you dont know what co-ban is, it is this stretchy stuff fot medical use it is like the stuff that you wrap knees or things that are sprained with, you know the tan stuff. well the differnce is this stuff it sqiushey and when you wrap it it attatched to its self. if any of you have horses it is the stuff some people wrap aroung the horses legs.

anyway it is great to keep your light from becoming ice cold. try it it works

thanks for reading

David Miller

Last edited:

Jaygnar

Newly Enlightened
I have found that the "sport tape" that is available in the sporting goods section of walmart works wonders for preventing "frozen finger" syndrome. Just wrap it around your flashkights body. It also makes the light easier to hold on to, which is a real bonus if you choose to wear gloves.

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
this stuff is really grippy too. it makes it super easy to hlod on to.

also another name but co-ban it is co-flex. this stuf cost a lot like 5 bucks for a roll but i love the stuff i use it a lot when im in the hospital

AndrewL

Newly Enlightened
I've used handle bar tape as a knife handle and it works well in cold conditions (it's also nice and soft for impacts) You can have all sort of colour from black to cammo to this

highorder

Enlightened
benchmade boy, I know that stuff as vetwrap, and it works very well. I like that it conforms well to many shapes, and HAS NO ADHESIVE. like you said, it only sticks to itself. its also reusable!

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
highorder said:
benchmade boy, I know that stuff as vetwrap, and it works very well. I like that it conforms well to many shapes, and HAS NO ADHESIVE. like you said, it only sticks to itself. its also reusable!
yes that is the exacy stuff i am talking about i forgot that name but yes it is also known as vetwrap. and when you take it off whatever you have it on there or ne adhesive marks like tape. and yes you can reuse it over and over.

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
speederino said:
I've got a light or two wrapped in paracord for cold weather situations.
the thing about paracord is it is hard and not as good as a grip as this stuff and if it gets wet it will soak up the water and get haeveir.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the tip about wrapping the tape around a flashlight.

I use a section of bicycle inner tube on flashlights to improve grip. This also keeps the lights from freezing my hand in cold weather.

inner-tube-lights.jpg

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
String.

Wrap it around and tie it off.

I used to wrap a string protector around my Grans' gas kettle handle.

Worked a treat, in providing heat insulation.

Mad1

Enlightened
I used duck/duct tape on my minimag AA, it does the trick nicely. I may try the co-ban stuff though, I imagine it's called something different over here.

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
It never gets below about 15degC here and thats only for a couple of weeks in the middle of the night during winter. I think because I don't have these sort of conditions I enjoy the cold weather alot.

I could always put my torch in the frezzer for a while and then grab it out with wet hands! :)

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, parnass! I never expected to see torches in fetishwear on these forums!!!:laughing:

I use long balloons of various sizes for my cold proofing. Modelling balloon types - 260 and 350 and even 500 types. This is also good to protect small lights from harm when in a pocket full of keys or change or what have you. Very quick and cheap and with the added advantage that you can do your lights in many different colours including High Viz flourescents (Great to use your UV on!!!)

For something more permanant, I have also used heat shrink tubing. But it doesn't come in as many colours. This makes it less fun.

Incidentally, you can make great impromptu Lightsabres with 260Q and any torch with a clickie tail ( Fenix L2P and INOVA T1/2 are the best). Simply fully blow up the balloon (Use a pump, less burst blood vessels that way) then tie it off, insert the torch lens side up into the knotted end all the way in, then twist the end of the balloon in a tulip twist (Basically grab the bit below the torch and twist round lots - this locks the torch inside). Then find a darkened room and some kids (Co workers, loved ones, nuns etc...). Make like Luke Skywalker in ready mode, switch on and go 'VVVwwaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmmm!'

Merry Festivities to all of you.....

Be lucky...

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cold weather is one of the reasons why I love nitrolon and looking forward to the new SF G3!

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wear gloves ?

Or use cut off finger from glove, with one, or both ends open.

Finger bandage, the type you twist around with an applicator.

Last edited:

AndrewL

Newly Enlightened
abvidledUK said:
Wear gloves ?

Or use cut off finger from glove, with one, or both ends open.

Finger bandage, the type you twist around with an applicator.
If you get the old ones that at just a 2mm bandage they'd work better since finger bandages are meant to be fairly thin

Wetterman

Newly Enlightened
If it's freezing cold you should wear gloves anyway. Where I live freezing cold starts from about 20F. If it rains it's not freezing.

Edit: temp

Last edited: