How long have you run an LED continuously?

lednut

Newly Enlightened
I have a cheapo Rayovac 2aa flashlight sitting on my nightstand with the reflector removed in candle mode.Inserted in place of the bulb is an led from Radio Shack,low MCD output and obviously underdriven off two heavy duty Rayovac AA's(not alkaline) I have had it on continuously now for about 1 1/2 years.I estimate this to be around 13,000 hours.I pulled the batteries recently and they still show in the green area of my battery tester.Did not check voltage.I do not remember the specs on the led,as it was purchased a couple of years ago.Because the whole experiement started out as a nightlight,it barely makes a beam on the ceiling of the bedroom at night when your eyes are adjusted.Has anyone else had experience doing this and if so how long could you get it to run?

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a clock radio that I got from Sears in 1975 that I used until about 2000. The red LEDs were not noticably dimmer (though I'm sure they were measurably dimmer). So 25 years isn't too bad (someone else can figure out the percentage of the time each segment was on)

Greg