SF E1L Tailcap upgrade...Advice Pls..

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello to all,

Can the standard tailcap of the E1L be upgraded to a 2 stage tailcap?

Is there a direct replacement or do I need to mod....?

Thanks for the advice given

Meor From Malaysia.

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U

quokked

Enlightened
You have a few options with Two Staging a E1L
1. Do a mod on your exisiting tailswitch, if it is a clicky https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1205794&postcount=21 this post will sort you out, a little bit of soldering and a resistor does the trick.

2. Replace the entire switch internals with a McE2s kit.....

3. Buy a Two Stage tailswitch pre made, there's some at the shoppe on sale every now and again or you need to wonder round the BST forums
You can buy a Surefire E series switch or a Aleph Switch with two stage, both will do the same thing

Personally I'd just go option #1

Last edited:

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
And while your at it if you mod your own switch you could add a Nekomane delrin
tailguard. A great addition to any Z57 or Z61.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to be a pooper on this thread, but if you haven't already bought the E1L, you can buy the L1 for the same price as the E1L and the McE2S switch setup....

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys,

Actually KDOG3's I appreciate your advice. Unfortunately, I have already bought the E1L two days ago and I blame it on my inpatient. I should have really researched before buying but then again I quite fond of the little E1L.

Again many thanks to MayCooper, Quokked and Marnav1 for your valued advice. Honestly, I not a brave a person for modding work. In fact I bricked my Moto V3i due to modding it a few months back, so this time modding is matter of direct replacement if I can get the parts I needed.
I was wandering round the site major part of the day and I am amazed at so many possible combinations that one can perform with the SF range. But what took my attention was an E1e + KL5 head and also an E1e + KL4 head. Is this mod possible? I thought that KL4 and KL5 only work with 2 cells right? I wonder what else is modded to those lites.
Anyway, here in Malaysia SF is very very expensive. And parts are also few and far between. Unless we buy direct to US online shopps. Unfortunately most well known shops only do ship nationwide so not available for export ...
So what do you guys recommend me buy next. I would like that both lites can be mismatched together and of course I do prefer to go LED as I have been using incandescants (maglites) for the past 14 years...
Cheers..

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do believe the KL5 will only work with 2 cells. (I could be wrong, however). The KL4 can work on one cell, it goes by the name TW4 around here. However, if I recall correctly, there are some that won't work on one cell.

Its kinda funny that you just got a E1L, I have one that should be delivered today. I'm going to put a McR20 reflector in it and run it on a BatteryStation 3.6v 900mah RCR123. We call that one the KL1-R. You may want to look into that as well.

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
jumpstat said:
Anyway, here in Malaysia SF is very very expensive. And parts are also few and far between. Unless we buy direct to US online shopps. Unfortunately most well known shops only do ship nationwide so not available for export ...

Same here in the Netherlands. Way too expensive. But if you want to buy Surefire lights and or parts from the US, I highly reccommend OpticsHQ.com and Lighthound.com Both ship international at reasonable shipping rates. Lighthound has good prices and has the best customer service in the world, and OpticsHQ has great discounts for us CPF members (take a look at the dealers corner here on CPF).