Inova X1 a good buy?

Libbs

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for an every day flashlight I can keep on me. I have been looking at them for a few days and I am leaning towards the Inova X1 because of its small size, its low price, its long runtime and because it uses simple AA batteries.

What do you guys think?
Should I go for a mini maglite with LED upgrade instead or are there any nice perls out there?

Thanks in advance!

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF. The X1 is one of the the best lights under $20. I'd go with that one.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
One CPFer mentioned how the lens on his X1 fell out. But that's just one case.

I think the X1 is a bit overpriced. ($20 at Target).
For three bucks more, you could get a Mini-MagliteLED 2AA model.

Or....

For $10 you could get a River Rock 2AAA LED light at Target.
Thinner than an X1, but a bit longer, it comes with a handy pocket-carry clip.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
coppertrail said:
Home Depot may still have the 3 AA MagLite LEDs for $15.
The ones around here still have some for $15.98, but a 3AA LED Mag isn't exactly in the same class as the Inova X1. The X1 is keychain-able, and the Mag isn't really even pocketable.

I pretty much refuse to buy a light that uses AAAs since they cost the same as AA's and hold about 1/3rd the energy.

To the OP, the X1 is a great light for your intended use. It's small, reasonably bright, has good runtime, and uses cheap/common AAs. It is a tad expensive at $20 from Target, but that's how it goes. I bought a X1 and like it.

coppertrail

Enlightened
Stereodude said:
The ones around here still have some for $15.98, but a 3AA LED Mag isn't exactly in the same class as the Inova X1. The X1 is keychain-able, and the Mag isn't really even pocketable.

I pretty much refuse to buy a light that uses AAAs since they cost the same as AA's and hold about 1/3rd the energy.

To the OP, the X1 is a great light for your intended use. It's small, reasonably bright, has good runtime, and uses cheap/common AAs. It is a tad expensive at $20 from Target, but that's how it goes. I bought a X1 and like it.
I agree about the keychainability and the pockatibility, but this light uses 3 AAs, not AAAs, and is brighter than its AA couterpart. I keep it in my inside coat pocket, don't know what I'll do in the summer :)

dinoadventures

Newly Enlightened
I would say it is a great light to get yourself or as a gift. I gave one to my fiancee's mother and feel it is a wonderful value.

Libbs

Newly Enlightened
Thx alot for all the replies! :D

I've checked the mini mags a bit, and 3 AA seems too big, can't really go for bigger than 2 AAs...
I am not really concerned about price wether it costs 10$ or 40$, I am just looking for something thats bright, small and that wont break in half too easily...Lenght-wise 4 inch is as big as I'll go, I dont have big pockets everywhere :D
I checked the Surefires out a bit, they are really expensive and take less frequent batteries like 123 something (forgive me I'm not quite the wise man I am new to this). Are they really that brighter to cost 6 times the price?

I know I find the little clip on the smaller Surefire models to look quite handy, the X1 doesnt have that, as far as I know. Are there accessories for this type of flashlight? What about the Amilite neo t3? and the fenix p1d-ce?

I read somewhere that some third party companies make led upgrades that are much much better than using the original incandescent light on a flashlight, is buying an incandescent light with a led upgrade a viable option, or is it more of a fraud? I am guessing buying a flashlight that was originally designed for LEDs is best.

One thing I do not like about mag lites and streamlights is that they have a wide head, compared to the rest of the body, it seems to me like this would make them much harder to pocket.

Like I said, money is not really a problem, but like anyone I wont pay 6 times the price for something that is very _barely_ better. I am looking for something to carry in my jean pockets, so I figured the X1 Looked like the right size for that, and it doesnt have a big head so that's a plus. On the other hand, there are flashlights with a bigger diameter but much shorter length-wise.

Say we forget pricing and we go for brightness/duration/size, what would be a few good options besides the X1?

Thank you again,

Libbs :D

Last edited:

whippoorwill

Enlightened
There are other options out there that are better than the X-1 IMO. The Fenix LOP or the LOP SE. A little more $ but better lights. The X-1 is 'built like a tank' but it has a horrible blue tint to the light. One of the lights that really disappointed me.

Last edited:

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Libbs,

Please consider the "Civictor V1".

Not massive when it comes to runtime, but a simple, sturdy and useful 1xAA powered light...if you are willing to use rechargable or lithium cells you will get the best out of this budget model - This light punches well above it's wieght IMO.

Review...

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/civictor_v1.htm

Buy from here...

http://fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_50&products_id=76

Remember to add your CPF discount code at the checkout (CPF5) and get 5% off the the total price...

You can't go wrong with this superb little single cell AA light.

CFU

martytoo

Newly Enlightened
Civictor Question?

I like the price of the Civictor better than the 1xAA Coast available at ****'s Sporting goods. The blister pack on the Coast infers that the 1.5 volts is boosted to 4.5 volts by the electronics in the light.

So the question is whether the Civictor is also a regulated light with boosted voltage.

Thanks!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
All single cell LED lights have some type of voltage boost, since it requires something over 3 volts for white LEDs. Both the Coast light and the Civictor are probably considered to be semi-regulated. Neither will yield a nice flat output graph like some of the truly regulated lights. My biased opinion is that the Civictor is the better light.

Geoff

martytoo

Newly Enlightened
Flying Turtle said:
All single cell LED lights have some type of voltage boost, since it requires something over 3 volts for white LEDs. Both the Coast light and the Civictor are probably considered to be semi-regulated. Neither will yield a nice flat output graph like some of the truly regulated lights. My biased opinion is that the Civictor is the better light.

Geoff

Well even if they were even in quality, the Civictor is less $$ and therefore a better value.

frasera

Newly Enlightened
well if money isn't a problem you should just get a 3aa mag for kicks, backup light, to keep wherever. hell you might even carry it cuz its a hell of a steal at 15 bucks.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_minimagled3aa.htm
and comparo of it using nimh vs alkalines
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=132640&page=1&pp=30
if you want high light output, the x1 doesn't compare to the mag.
and yes the x1 is overpriced, its from 2003 after all. if it were designed today it would be brighter. its other features are good, but i'm just saying its using old led tech.

whippoorwill

Enlightened
The Civictor V-1 is a good call. Don't get too hung up on run times. AA batteries are relatively cheap. If you go to Wally World you can get rechargeables fairly cheap. I have found that long run times are the only saving grace of some pretty crappy lights. The X-1 being one of them. Don't waste your time or money on this light. I did.

Vickers

Enlightened
I'm underwhelmed by my X1...the beam seems to have almost a brown tint to it on the one I have.

I tried a fresh battery (since anyone can test them in the store, the existing battery might be run down somewhat), but it didn't really improve.

Also, there are tiny spots on the reflector...doesn't seem to affect the beam, but it just looks bad (admittedly, you have to look REALLY close).

I had the lanyard on it, but the knurling at the attachment point seemed to be biting into the cord so I took it off...that might be a failure point down the road.

It looks really cool, but I prefer the River Rock 2AAA...a lot more light, and only 5/8" longer (4" vs. 4-5/8"). The momentary switch is a lot easier to push than the one on the X1, also.

Last edited: