Alkaline vs NiMH

bmoorhouse

Newly Enlightened
I understand that 2000 mAH NiMH batteries will outlast Alkaline batteries. Is that true in all uses?

I am going to be replacing all the AAs in my son's baby toys and my electronics with NiMHs.

Before taking the plunge with the initial investment (batteries and probably buying the $59 C9000 to charge them), I am trying to do a simple theoretical cost analysis to justify it.

I just bought 22 Duracell AAs at Home Depot for $9.94, so if the performance between alkaline and NiMH is the same, I would have to charge 150 batteries to pay for the charger. Obviously, if the NiMH last longer, than I would break even quicker.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
In frequently used stuff NiMH will have a huge advantage. Just don't expect them to store like Alkys (well there's eneloops), but those 2650 Duracell NiMH don't store long.

EssLight

Newly Enlightened
Keep in mind the voltage difference between alkaline and NiMH batteries. Alkalines are nominally 1.5 volts, NiMH are nominally 1.2 volts. Some devices will work better with the higher voltage of alkalines, in particular those using an electric motor, such as an electric toothbrush. Your son's baby toys may fall into that category. The thing to do is try NiMH in each device first to see how it responds to the votage difference before investing in batteries for that device. Whether NiMH will last longer than alkaline in a given device will vary with the device. Electronic devices designed to work with NiMH, such as cameras or regulated LED flashlights, will benefit from NiMH batteries.

More information can be found on these pages:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/qa/batteries.htm
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/features/batteries_explained.htm

EssLight

Mike abcd

Enlightened
In any moderate to high drain use a NiMH will hold voltage better under load after at most a few minutes.

The biggest issues with NiMH is the inital cost of the batteries and charger and their high self discharge that has made them a bad choice in low drain or seldom used items. The new Eneloops have even made inroads there.

You could consider a cheaper charger like the 15 minute Duracell and Energizer ones. They're far less sophisticated but charge really fast and will get you 100+ uses.

In a power hungry toy or digital camera an NiMH can easily last 2-5x as long with better performance. Just don't over discharge them in things that use multiple cells or leave them in the charger after they finish charging. A hot car isn't good for any battery although Lithiums probably hold up best.

Mike

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say use nimh's for items that chew through batteries like cameras, my mouse, flashlights! and other such devices btw fresh off a good charger voltage should be aroung 1.4-1.5 volts and with most consumer defices should stay there for a while.

heliyardsale

Newly Enlightened
You might want to check out Target. I just returned with 80 Panasonic AA's for 10.00. They are marked down 75% in the 1.00 bins at the front of the stores.. I don't know if your store will have them but its a snack down deal. Use by date on the packaging was 2013. Two pack AA's and AAA's for .25 cents. That should feed your kids toys for a while....:grin2:
Heli

bmoorhouse

Newly Enlightened
Wow, awesome price and great tip. Unfortunately, there is no target within 2+ hours drive of me.