M*g ??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Many of us think they are some of the best built and toughest lights you can get your hands on.

BUT. They put out some of the most useless beams of any light you can find. I emailed them and they thumbed their nose at me. And the company just loves to STOMP on any company they can for using any feature a M*g has.Go to their website and see for yourself.

So I and many of us will not spell out M*gl!te.

Any more questions?

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
JackBlades-

Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel.
wink.gif

There has been discussion of how the owner of MadBites treated his "ex-wife" when she left him and how he used a law firm to I believe put his "ex-step sons" out of business when they started a flashlight company attempting to get rid of the black hole in the beam.

Someone else here said this about MadBites: "Selling flashlights is a sideline for M*g L*te to fund their real business which is litigation"
icon13.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
all the above is true. however, %99 of folks think they are the best light out there because of saturation marketing and buy them. or buy a cheapo light that will break when you drop it. i used to think m@g was the shiznit before i woke up.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maglica has sued just about every other flashlight manufacturer for various "patent infringements."

If he can't patent something (i.e. a textured reflector) then he won't incorporate it into a Maglite.

This, BTW, is being moved to Cafe...

--dan

InTheDark

Enlightened
At the risk of becoming unpopular (or more unpopular) I'd have to defend Maglight on this one. I don't agree with Maglica's business practices, but I really don't see the need to bash a decent flashlight either. They're a very good light at a really cheap price. I think some people might just "jump on the bandwagon" when they hear other people on this forum bashing it. It's true that the beams are crappy, and they haven't updated anything on their lights in the past 20 years. But if you had a design that works, why fix it? Why spend thousands or tens of thousands of dollars on developing a brighter bulb, or a new reflector, just to make a few people on CPF happy? They could, for no cost, come out with a new color and sell 100X more lights. Which is a better business decision?

I remember the response Playboy got when he e-mailed Mag light, I don't think they thumbed their nose at you, they just said that most people weren't interested in having a smooth beam, they were more concerned about being able to focus the light to a tighter spot. And if you think about it, it's true, the first thing people do when they see a new light is to check out how far it shines. At least a company that big did have the courtesy to respond to your e-mail. I've been ignored by companies much smaller than theirs.

The bottom line is, Maglica has created a very profitable company, maybe he did it by eliminating the competition, who knows. I'm sure a lot of companies have used the same strategy (Microsoft), it's just part of business. He's created a very reliable light that anybody can afford, and just because he doesn't redesign his lights to satisfy a couple of people on this board, it's really no reason to trash the lights.

I'm just waiting to see what happens between Surefire and Strategos.

MicroE

Enlightened
I have nothing against Mr. Maglica and his firm. I own several mags. I even bought two mini-mags a couple of weeks ago. Of course I did pull out Maglica's lousy bulb and reflector and replace them with a Yamaguchi Badboy!
smile.gif

I used to keep my kids from playing with my 4D mags because I didn't want them destroyed. But after I joined CPF and bought some Surefires I let the kids play with the Mags all they want!---Marc

GeorgeB

Newly Enlightened
They do respond to e-mail, however I think someone is a little clueless about nickel plating.
grin.gif
Oh well, I will just have to write an e-mail to Mr. Maglica care of Miss Julie Rodriguez.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your interest in Maglite products. Unfortunately, we do not offer
our product in an unanodized condition, with the exception of silver, which is
finished with a clear coat. In addition, requests for custom manufacturing or
use of our parts in another application must be submitted to our President, Mr.
Anthony Maglica, along with drawings and a prototype of the product. You may
send this information to the attention of his assistant, Julie Rodriguez.

Sincerely,
Customer Service

---------- ORIGINAL MESSAGE ----------
TO: Mag Instrument, Inc. Web Site (www.magmail.com)

Dear Maglite,
I would like to purchase a 3 D-cell Maglite unassembled, and un-anodized if
possible. My plan is to send off the aluminum to be nickel plated. If you guys
are willing to do this, would you quote me a price, and send it to my e-mail
address.

Thank you for your time,
George Burdett

Bad Influence

Newly Enlightened
If I remember correctly, there was a post in another forum on CPF about how M@glite was threatening a well known and respected company because their best selling product resembled M@g's cheapest, crappiest light.

Basically, from the way I see it, there's a light similar to the M@g light only because it uses the same battery, is the same BASIC shape, and is turned on in the same manner, although the switching mechanism is different. Also, the M@g uses an incandescent, whereas the other one is solid state.

Besides, it's not like the "other" manufacturer is trying to cut in on M@g's business.... the other light is of supreme quality and has a price that reflects it.

*edit* also, if we don't spell out the actual word "M@glite" then it won't turn up in searches.... which is the closest thing to an influence that CPF will ever have on them.

Darkaway

Enlightened
I have seen a certain American flashlight manufacturer and its products referred to as M*g, M*n*m*g, M**, etc. etc. in this forum. Has this company done somethig to offend some members of this forum? Is it for legal reasons? Why is it seemingly taboo to spell this three letter word???

I checked the search engine and found no references to this practice. I'm relatively new here so maybe some of you old hands can tell me what's up.
confused.gif

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Darkaway:
I have seen a certain American flashlight manufacturer and its products referred to as M*g, M*n*m*g, M**, etc. etc. in this forum. Has this company done somethig to offend some members of this forum? Is it for legal reasons? Why is it seemingly taboo to spell this three letter word???

I checked the search engine and found no references to this practice. I'm relatively new here so maybe some of you old hands can tell me what's up.
confused.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">from what i've gathered, some do it like Magl!te is a cuss word, because of the fact of them being overrated flashlights and there being ALOT of better flashlights out there that or more commonly praised on this forum.

i think some people might also do it because, from what i think i've heard/understand, Magl!te had filed a lawsuit of some sort against another flashlight company, so it's kinda like Sarcasm.

that's my take on it

Zeppert

Enlightened
Maglite Maglite Maglite Maglite Maglite

(*** Mod edit. I'll give you five 'cause I'm feeling generous)

Rifter

Enlightened
The only way i will buy a maglight is if it is going to get modded with a LS. Otherwise i will not support there crap *** business.

WaltH

Enlightened
I don't know abou the rest of you but Mag brought me to this party. It was my fist quality flashlight and, until I became a full-fledged flashaholic, I thought it was the best flashlight.

Mag's will always have a place in my heart...but other lights get used on duty.

Hopefully Anthony will come out with something new in the near future...but if I were him, I'm not sure I would. Mag's have their market and sell quite well.

Every manufacturer has to envy the number of mag's purchased every year.

Illuminated

Enlightened
I also use an altered reference to *ag*ite to dodge searches, and if the company is set on making their profits on the existing designs without looking to offer real improvements or new products, then so be it. I'm not bashing them for that strategy, but I won't recommend their products to others or advertise for them. And yes, I know they'll sell well despite my quirky notions. It's just a matter of principal to me.

BTW - I still have four rather old ones - about to receive new life thanks to good info from CPF members. (They've been at least durable if not very good otherwise.)

Happy Holidays!

John

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I have several of them. I was into them as high dollar (to me)lights before I even dreamed of something called internet.

But the only reason I will ever buy another is if a: it gets some killer new feature like textured reflector (even freaking Rayovac can do that!) or b: to mod it with at least a better bulb, or more batteries, or some sort of drop in mod.

And I ain't gonna spell out the name just in case ole Anthonys lawyers are snoopin' around.

I_rv_too

Newly Enlightened
You know something ... y'all gotta get a life here.

Many of us live in America ... a free country. If you have a better idea ... or can conceive of a better way to build a mousetrap ... and want to put your own capital at risk ... go for it.

It's what makes America great.

Sitting around bashing some company is really not a very productive thing to do.

Get a life ... and if you are really upset, start a flashlight company of your own.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Originally posted by I_rv_too:
... and if you are really upset, start a flashlight company of your own.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">And then get put out of business by You Know Who for patent infringement or is it status quo bashing?

grin.gif

Sorry, my trigger finger slipped
icon15.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.