Plasma Plates

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a couple of these in my home and turn them on for "entertainment" purposes for friends who may drop over. Is there any harmful electromagnetic radiation emitted from these plasma displays? Anyone know?

Karl

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
you mean those glass bead filled glass circles where the plasma makes lightening like paths around the beads? used on star treck for the borg ship props and a thousand other interesting places on tv and in the movies?

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about then Carbine15 is right, the answer is no, they are perfectly safe.

They will emit an electrical field and probably a rather strong RF field close by. I'd keep them away from your computer or other sensitive electronics as it's possible for them to interfere with it. The high voltage power supplies in these things tend to be cheap too, I wouldn't plug it into the same circuit as your computers or other such things as they can also send noise down the powerlines and confuse electronics.

But as far as people are concerned they are a non-issue. Dont radiate enough power to do anything to you. If the powersupply were say, 100 times more powerful you might get some x-rays out of one ;) But until you mod the powersupply it's very safe ;)

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I agree with James. My take is that there has to be a significant amount of current flow to generate a strong electromagnetic field, and these devices operate on high voltage but very low current, thus no appreciable EMI.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks gentlemen! I was concerned I'd start glowing at night and wouldn't have a need for all my flashlights!!! :lolsign:

karl