3. Night-Ops Gladius, £185
4. Solar Wind-up Radio and Torch, £20
5. Maglite Charger, £150
6. Freeplay Sherpa X-Ray, £30
7. Duracell Voyager, £7
8. Oval LED Flashlight, £39
9. Mini Maglite AA, £15
10. Eurohike Wind-up, £10

More details about why they chose each torch in the link.

Interesting choices, do you think the person who created this list has heard of CPF? :D

Discuss?

FsTop

Enlightened
Not clear that they have looked at any flashlights in the past ten years - much of their list is junk - Maglight AA as a prime example...

NotEnoughLight

Enlightened
Item number 9 to me shows that this fella does not know the existence of CPF. I would believe that any CPFer who has heard of the various upgrades (Madmax, Badboy, Lambda drop-in, Terralux drop-ins, Nite Itz drop-ins, even the simple plug and use SMJled) for the M@g AA would be disgusted with the stock MM. And let's not forget there are also high power incan mods for the MM too. So tell me, which CPFer would still prefer the stock MM?

Please, fellow CPFers, feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
just in.... the extended list:

11) The Candle

12) The Match

13) Nite-Ize Mag drop in :lolsign:

In a non-flashoholic world those torches are just fine...... In our club they're just a few specks of sand in the beach of torches :)

LA OZ

Enlightened
These review are always and I repeat, always misleading. They have neither the time and resources to review all the available torches in the world.

SuperNinja

Enlightened
LA OZ said:
These review are always and I repeat, always misleading. They have neither the time and resources to review all the available torches in the world.
Or competent reviewers.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the best light I have ever touched is my U2 that I got today the output goes from MM up to my 1Kw halogen flood light Not kidding this thing will light up a row of trees about 50 ft away more than 1kw or halogen quartz lights will.

carrot

Flashaholic
Wrong, wrong, wrong.

1) Surefire A2
2) McCree PD
*) HDS EDC
*) Streamlight Strion
10) Fenix P1D-CE

:D

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
my ten best would include :
fenix l2p
most fenix lights
Streamlight PP
most streamlight lights
arc aaa p
most surefire lights
PT apex
most PT lights
most UK lights

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, on reflection I think we are being a bit harsh...nobody in the UK (bar CPFers) will have even heard of Fenix, HDS, Arc and the like.

It's still a sloppy article though...we in the UK he do have access to Inova's and several other decent brands.

CFU

carrot

Flashaholic
No way are we being too harsh. Even the most simple-minded person would have noticed that Surefire sells more expensive lights, and the only reason for more expensive lights to exist in a lineup is that they are better... since the writer picked the (fairly expensive) Gladius as third, the first place should have been a higher-priced, premium Surefire rather than their most budget-oriented light. I could have been more happy with the list if they chose an E2e as the top, but the rest is obviously rubbish. Come on, an ordinary $10 incan Minimag? Credibility down the toilet.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Carrot, as I said in my last post...

"It's still a sloppy article though...we in the UK he do have access to Inova's and several other decent brands."

That said, you really need to understand the sheer lack of quality flashlights that are available to your average high street punter in the UK.

CFU

PS, you are talking about a British tabloid newspaper here...credibility does'nt even enter into the game!
yellowlaugh.gif

carrot

Flashaholic
Well, I still view the article as a misinformed insult to flashaholics everywhere, who spend hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars looking for a better, brighter light, and they certainly aren't buying just Surefire G2's.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
MaxKnight said:
1. Surefire G2 Nitrolon, £35
2. Ixion, £35
3. Night-Ops Gladius, £185
4. Solar Wind-up Radio and Torch, £20
5. Maglite Charger, £150
6. Freeplay Sherpa X-Ray, £30
7. Duracell Voyager, £7
8. Oval LED Flashlight, £39
9. Mini Maglite AA, £15
10. Eurohike Wind-up, £10

Looks like a reasonable list to me. By best, he probably means best value for money. With the exceptions of 2, 4, and 10 I am familiar with the lights either from owning them or reading reviews.

1. Agree - the G2 is the only really decent value in a Surefire light for the general public.

3. Agree - now that the HDS line is no longer in production, the Gladius is probably the most advanced production light available, and a decent value for its features.

5. Agree - the Magcharger is a rock solid value for those in need of a bright, rechargable, durable light.

7. Agree - a decent inexpensive, waterproof light for outdoor activities. Hard to beat for the price.

9. Disagree - MiniMag incan is an inexpensive, durable task light, but outdated and no longer a great value. I have MiniMags 20 years old that have seen a fair amount of use and still work, but I have to wonder if the author is aware of the MinMagLED 2AA or similiar lights. IIRC, MiniMagLEDs are available in the UK.

4, 6, 8. Disagree - but I've never owned these particular lights. I just don't trust crank lights in general.

10. Disagree - The Oval LED gets some good reviews, but seems overly expensive for what it is.

quokked

Enlightened
Ai yi i I think this list is a list of the best lights that are available in the UK
us overseas people don't get ready access to surefires from the shop round the corner you know
Maybe someone mail him a A2 to have him amend the article
For you Americans who don't understand UK tabloids
http://www.hps.com/~tpg/ukdict/ukdict-8.html :D

On another note I have a G2!! OMGWTF I HAVE THE BESTEST FLASHIELIGHT EVA!! :lol: it beats hands down my Black A2

Last edited: