Torchy hello

wakibaki

Newly Enlightened
Hi

Thought I'd introduce myself.

This is my torch.

torch.jpg

I made it a bit over 15 years ago. It still uses the original battery which was assembled from 12x 3-year-old 4000mAH tabbed NiCd D cells salvaged from the refurbishment of hotel emergency lighting. Wonderful cells in sets of 3 interlocking, they still have at least 70% capacity.

The lamp employs a 55W H3 bulb and reflector/mount salvaged from a plastic driving light. There is a 2.2W secondary bulb offset toward the short edge of the reflector. I made the hole for this with a Dremel.

The original run time was about 50 mins high, 24+ hours low.

The case is 9mm building-grade ply sanded and assembled with cyano and epoxy and yacht-varnished. The case and lid have a friction-fit lip and rim and the torch will float and is self-righting and continues to work during a violent immersion. The handle is a section of broomhandle and the torch can readily be tilted in the hand by crawling the fingers. The high-off-low toggle is reachable with finger or thumb from the handle.

With a current of ~5A and 14.4V the main bulb is driven at the upper end of its range and at max 1.25C the cells are loafing so the voltage and capacity hold up well and the cells don't heat up. Of course it gets warm if run for long periods on high, but there's a big airspace in there and most of the bulb heat radiates out the front. (handwarmer function).

The beam centre spot is about the same size as the reflector at about 3 metres due to the plain glass lens replacing that of the driving lamp. On low the light is scattered handily.

Weight:- ~ 2.75kg Displacement:- ~4.5litres

Dimensions:- box 10x20x22.5cm + handle.

Total cost:- labour + scrap + adhesives. At the time I think the materials new would have cost about UKP100 retail. Nobody spent 100 quid on a torch 15 years ago. Today you could start with 10000mAH NiMhs at ~UKP100, 2.5 hours at full output, ouch!

Light output:- sufficient… Probably 1000+ lumens with a beam divergence as small as you're going to get.

Likes:- the look on policemen's faces when you fire it up.

Dislikes:-the sanding made a load of dust. I dripped a penny-sized drop of CA glue on my pants leg. I.only noticed it when it went off and got so hot it burnt my leg. I pulled the material away so quick it pulled the skin and hairs off.

Picky little things:- I'd make the front and back integral with the handle risers and change the lid slightly next time. Nothing functional, just aesthetic… I was going to put the handle on the lid, with pull-down clips from the lid to the body, but it was half-built in the middle of the night, I didn't have the clips and I couldn't wait to finish it, so I changed the design.

All parts inside and outside are user serviceable.

Have I ever dropped it? Other than into the water to test it, no. I value my toes too much.

To charge, open the top, unship the wall-wart and plug in. 18V with dropper resistor, 10th C (14hr) charge. Unplug it tomorrow, if you remember.

Of course it sits on a flat surface, you can lay it on its side for greater stability in rough conditions or earthquake.

Oh, here's its predecessor, built round a 'Sealed Beam' unit. It has a limited tilt/swivel head. The beam is not as tight as the newer version, but it is still a useful light. One good thing, nobody asks where I bought it.

torch2.jpg

I'm trying to get a P1D-CE to take apart, but there seem to be post-Christmas stocking (!) difficulties in the UK. Anyway the reviews are not 100% on the build quality.

Oh yes, HIDs. Well these are just an evolutionary dead end. You can already readily get as much light by paralleling LEDs, which are only going to get bigger and brighter and more efficient, you don't have to **** around with a ballast (who understands ballasts anyway, a switching LED driver is one thing…) and they cost a fortune. LEDs come on instantaneously and you can choose to have a lower output too

Nice to see you guys are catching up tho'.

I almost bought a Cree Orb Sterling Silver for my wife, but the lead time was too long. Next time. Other than that I still don't see a really desirable light out there at mass production prices. Everyone seems to be obsessed with aluminium. Looks like I'll have to design it myself…

w

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
you shoulda left while you had the chance, ive been here 2 days and already started with some basics couple minimags with ministar 5k2 on the way and a mag2d hopefully will work with a 5k2....currently have a 3dmag with 6k2 and mini with tle5.....thinkin about building or buying a mag85 but it seems crazy im on the edge on doing it.....anyway welcome :)

Last edited:

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey wakibaki, welcome to CPF. Thanks for descriptions and pics of your lights.

Wowsers! That big wooden guy is what I call a torch!

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello there Wakibaki :)laughing:) and welcome to the Madhouse!

I would like you to know that seeing your torches are like a breath of fresh air compared to the bright and shiny and burnished mods we are used to viewing here. God bless homemade projects that look home made and don't come in a package or begin their life on a lathe. More power to your elbow. I'll bet the wooden one smells delightfully of varnish and sawdust when it gets hot!!

I think neither Heath Robinson nor Jon Pertwee could have designed anything a beautiful as your two creations.

More please.

Definitely an inspiration.

Be lucky....

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
wakibaki said:
Oh yes, HIDs. Well these are just an evolutionary dead end. You can already readily get as much light by paralleling LEDs, which are only going to get bigger and brighter and more efficient, you don't have to **** around with a ballast (who understands ballasts anyway, a switching LED driver is one thing…) and they cost a fortune. LEDs come on instantaneously and you can choose to have a lower output too

Nice to see you guys are catching up tho'.

Welcome to CandlePowerForums. I like your DIY lights.

LED arrays. I would guess you've noticed that getting them to collimate into a shared beam that can compete with a 50W HID beam down range can be a challenge.
wakibaki said:
I almost bought a Cree Orb Sterling Silver for my wife, but the lead time was too long. Next time. Other than that I still don't see a really desirable light out there at mass production prices. Everyone seems to be obsessed with aluminium. Looks like I'll have to design it myself…

Yeah highly desirable at low cost is a rarity. It will be interesting to see what designs you come up with.

wakibaki

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all you people for the very warm comments, I was kind of bracing myself for some mild flaming.

Anyway the P1D-CE is coming, so at least I'll have a standard for comparative beamshots.

w

Icebreak, you must have a hard-on for HIDs - or as we say here, 'You're not
carrying a torch for her, are you old chep?'

Last edited:

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
...Oh, here's its predecessor, built round a 'Sealed Beam' unit...
I love that! Was intrigued by your avatar, so went looking. Glad I found this thread.

Done something similar myself; mine was a 30W railway headlamp (GE 4515), with the battery modified to a 6V 5Ah SLA.

Time to think about upping the battery to overdrive it a little. Perhaps 7.2v NiCd or 8v SLA might be the go.

Need to buy some spare 4515's first, though.

But I love yours. Obviously home-made, but has elegance and a balance to it.

protein_man

Newly Enlightened
Hello, welcome and awesome post! Thats a hell of a torch you have there, great job, who cares about looks when you have awesome output! Theres something satisfying about building your own light, its a great feeling.

I have quiet a few of those D cell nicd's from serviced fluro batons, their handy, use mine in my lanterns, they are not bad for being free. Great work and all the best!:thumbsup:

wakibaki

Newly Enlightened
Thanks

Just as well somebody likes it, it's my life there right in that torch.

My contribution to the art of the minimum.

w