Magcharger $69.99 @ Amazon.com

45ACP

Newly Enlightened
That is a great deal. They were $85.99 last week. I think I just might order another one. Thanks for the heads up.

Edit - If you have Amazon Prime, you can get next day shipping for $3.99. I believe they are offering a free 3-month trial to Amazon Prime.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was going to stop buying lights because I had way too many.
Never had any interest in a Mag Charger.
... but this was too good to pass up ... thanks for posting it.

Word of warning to the impatient - It does not appear that Amazon has these lights in stock, the anticipated shipping date that they provide is over a week away.

AFAustin said:
Looks like right now you can get it for $69.99 shipped. Heckuva deal on a classic light.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brighteyez said:
Word of warning to the impatient - It does not appear that Amazon has these lights in stock, the anticipated shipping date that they provide is over a week away.

Sorry if I missed that---or does that info. appear during checkout?

InfidelCastro said:
Is the charger for this light still so slow or has Mag upgraded it any?

It's still pretty slow. Another weird thing is that there is no way to tell when it's fully charged---the red led on the charger never turns green or switches off. I even contacted Maglite and they confirmed this.

All that said, I've really enjoyed mine. I often keep it close to the door, in the cradle. It's handy to grab and see what's up outside, and then just slap back in the cradle. No cells to take out and mess with, and it's just always there, charged up and ready to go.

I even get some use out of the infamous Mag cam focusing, donut hole and all. It's nice to be able to quickly go from a wide, bright flood to a small, tight hotspot that throws quite well. And, greatest blasphemy of all---I am using it stock (gasp)! I tried a WA1160 bulb and it was brighter, but not by that much to my eye, esp. as to throw, and I decided against the mica shields, etc. (even after Greg very kindly sent me a couple). If anyone doubts the stock MC's throwing bonafides, just check Quickbeams numbers. :)

All in all, a steal at $75 IMHO, and $70 is that much better.

45ACP

Newly Enlightened
Brighteyez said:
I think it was at checkout, and it's also on the receipt that they send you by e-mail.

I bought one last night, it shipped today and I'll be getting it tomorrow morning before noon.

I have mounting brackets in all of my vehicles, garage, kitchen and several other rooms in the house, so I can just move the charging cradle around if I need to. But then again, after tomorrow, I'll have 3 MC's so I guess I'll just buy extra charging cradles and power plugs.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
You must have gotten the one just before mine? :(
I got a guesstimated shipping date of 1/22. No big deal, I wasn't in a hurry for one, and I know I don't need one, the price just looked decent.

45ACP said:
I bought one last night, it shipped today and I'll be getting it tomorrow morning before noon.

Last edited:

45ACP

Newly Enlightened
Brighteyez said:
You must have gotten the one just before mine? :(
I got a guesstimated shipping date of 1/22. No big deal, I wasn'tg in a hurry for one, and I know I don't need one, the price just looked decent.

I would have gotten it either way. Too good of a deal to pass up.

Now I just need to pick up a 3500mah battery pack and some WA1160 bulbs.

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the heads up, AFAustin.
(I just edited out the lawyer jokes), but I really just want you to know this is appreciated.
I do not need one but at that price and considering I recently figured how to Mod them to a 900 torch-lumen light with just a battery pack, bulb and universal charger that is a cheap host!

InfidelCastro

Banned
I think the Magcharger is a great light for the money. The upgrades seem expensive though. By the time you buy a couple WA1160 bulbs, upgraded battery stick and try and upgrade the charger...

Might as well just buy something else if you're not gonna run it stock it seems.

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
The price of this MC is a bargin for a host. A primitive basic hot wire, ROP is reflector, $20, bulb $12, 7.2 V of battery $40, flashlight $15, that is $87 for 600 torch lumens. This MC plus a $6.40 bulb for under $79 you got a barn burner of almost 500 lumens. Now if the MC was at its normal $100 tag then I would say you got a point, except most of the mod is done for a MC, just stick in a bulb and it is rechargeable the easy way. Did you figur that into the price?
I just posted the 1160 and 1111 are a waste of resources:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=149011
On the OEM 6 volt battery pack:
OEM output is 200 torch-lumens
putting in a 1160 bulb, 376 torch-lumens, over driven
putting in a phillips 5761 bulb, just under 500 Torch-lumens not over driven, factory spec is 6 volts. Approaches the 1111 upgrade next.

Put in a 7.2 volt battery pack and over driving both of these:
putting in a 1111 bulb, 572 torch-lumens
Put in a 5761, just under 900 torch-lumens

edit: the standard charger works for the OEM pack and different bulbs, 6 volts. For any other higher voltage including 1185, 10.8 upgrades, by the way are dimmer than 5761s, the universal charger is hooked to the unit. That averages $24.

Actually on any hot wire mod you should modify the tailcap spring and all friction contacts in the swithc with jumpers and get the circuit resistance down, it can significantly cut lumens in regular as well as MC lights.

Last edited:

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I BOUGHT IT!
This is a great buy! $69.99, free shipping and I get $30 off for signing up for the credit card!
A new, dual system Mag Charger for $40.00, add a bulb and 500 torch-lumen hot-wire for under $47. Nothing beats that.
EDIT: I have peddled new MC light bulbs and batteries on CPF before so that off-sets any upgrade costs.

Last edited:

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Northern Lights said:
Thanks for the heads up, AFAustin.
(I just edited out the lawyer jokes), but I really just want you to know this is appreciated.
I do not need one but at that price and considering I recently figured how to Mod them to a 900 torch-lumen light with just a battery pack, bulb and universal charger that is a cheap host!

Northern Lights,

You are very welcome (and thanks for sparing me the lawyer jokes, although after 28+ yrs. in the biz, I'm used to them :grin2: ). Glad you took advantage of the deal.

Your MC modding info. is great. One of these days I may have to try that route again. I hope I can call on you if I do (technical whiz I am not!).

Andrew

45ACP

Newly Enlightened
The DHL guy just dropped off my new MC:
DSC01255.png

DSC01256.png

DSC01257.png

DSC01258.png

And here it is next to one of my other MC's and my 3D ROP:
DSC01259.png

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well ... I've always told others to exercise discretion with what they read on web site, forums, newsgroups and the like, due to their questionable veracity. Looks like I should heed my own advice, even if they're e-mails directly from Amazon for an item being offered by Amazon and not one of their "Marketplace" seller.

When I placed my order, the confirmation indicated that it would be shipped during the week of Jan 22 and should arrive the following week. Now I get an e-mail advising me that it was shipped by USPS last night 1/17 and should arrive on Jan 22. Amazon's site now tells me that it should arrive by Feb. 2! When I first saw that it would be shipped on the 22nd, I thought it might be drop-shipped, as many products sold on web sites are these days. Oddly enough, it looks like the origination point may actually be right here in the Bay Area!

45ACP said:
The DHL guy just dropped off my new MC:
And here it is next to one of my other MC's and my 3D ROP:

EDIT Looks like the projected dates on Amazon's checkout may have been a bit out whack. Seems that the MC that I ordered on the evening of the 16th was shipped on the 17th and was delivered on the 19th. This was at their Super Saver shipping rate; and it appears to have been drop shipped locally, though the return address was Amazon's Nevada distribution facility.

Last edited:

Raptor#

Newly Enlightened
Damn, and i just bought the Scorpion R500, shipped 2 days ago... stupid stupid stupid :rant: :ohgeez:

/Edit: Ah, nvm.. just noticed they will only ship to the US. But it still would be interresting to know more about modding it, in case i'll someday see a magcharger with a good price in germany / with cheap shipping.

/Edit 2: Ok, im a dumb noob. :duh2: Should just have clicked your link, wich explains almost all of my questions.

Norther lights, how hard to do would the 900 lumens mod with the 5761 and the 7.2V pack be for a newbie to modding?
Could i still use the charging cradle with the 7.2V pack?
What would the total costs be for the 900 lumens version? Oh and, what runtime could i expect? And.. one last question, where to get the needed parts for modding it in europe / shipped to europe at a reasonable price?
I know i could get lithium-ions from ebay (althought theyre unprotected i think), but i dont know where to get the bulb or any other parts.

Best Regards,

Johannes

Last edited:

BrighTor

Newly Enlightened
Ordered one, THEN sent an email to my wife telling her I was going to order it. See? I'm learning how to do this flashlight thing!