Nite Ize 1 watt luxeon LED drop-in bulb & IQ switch

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi John,

Yes - I ordered them a few weeks ago and already have samples in hand. I think mine was the first order in house for them actually. :)

It's a nicely made unit. Not as bright as the TerraLUX TLE-5 though. MSRP for the bulb only is ~$16 and for the combo is ~$22-23 IIRC.

Nite Ize just released or is releasing 24 new products - this is the one of primary interest to this community though.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the MiniMag, the best cheap bang for the buck drop-in right now is The Sandwich Shoppe's MJ 2AA Module:

http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?products_id=940

There's some good info on it here:

http://www.customlightfactory.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=84

At $10.99 for 1 or $20 for a 2-pack, I don't think you can go wrong here if you want a cheap MM drop-in with good performance. I just got one and I would say the output of it compares to the Elly from FifthUnit/DealExtreme in terms of output level and tint.

So in recap for the recent MM drop-in modules:

- SS MJ 2AA / $11 / Cheap and fairly bright
- Nite Ize 1 Watt Luxeon / $16 / Fairly cheap and looks to be decently bright
- Terralux TLE-5K2 / $29 / Reasonably priced and is arguably the brightest MM drop-in on the market

Seems there's plenty of options for the trusty old 2AA MiniMags these days! :rock:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget the regular TerraLUX TLE-5 - just a few bucks more than the NiteIze, available now and definitely brighter.

Also the TerraLUX TLE-20 for ~13 bucks is pretty solid.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Nite Ize 1watt upgrade

Thanks for the link. In fact this is new to me. My Minimag has got the earlier led replacement module with three leds. This one output in a wall of light but no throw at all. Even moving the reflector would not focus the beam. High runtime compared to original.

Now this 1 led 1 watt replacement looks cool and the beam is also focusable. For $10 i'll give it a try. Thanks again for the info

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast

Who can resist for only $10.00? At a minimum, it looks like a good platform for a Seoul Mod.

-Goatee

DaveG

Enlightened

Equipped.com did a Shot show report that had it for $10. Hope it hits Target or Wal-mart soon.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

:)> said:
Who can resist for only $10.00? At a minimum, it looks like a good platform for a Seoul Mod.

-Goatee

I was thinking the very same thing. A nice mod by itself but it begs to have a hotter LED dropped into that disc.

Last edited:

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast

probably better off with $14 tle5 from batteryjunction, but it does have me curious what driver setup it has

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England

I picked one up a couple days ago, mainly for the I.Q. Switch, it's a decent enough upgrade, nothing special though, the reflector does give it a nice, smooth-ish hotspot and spill, and my upgrade has a nice yellowish warm tint, so it's got more of an incan-ish look to the beam

you do get a *small* amount of focusability, about 1/4 turn, going from wide hotspot to tight hotspot, but nothing major

compared to my Fenix L1P, both lights running on fresh Energizer Lithium AA's, the Fenix, a *ONE CELL* light, is still slightly *brighter* than the NI 1 watt upgrade, it's barely brighter than my Fenix L0P on High

it's nothing special, just a solid, basic upgrade

LG&M

Enlightened

:)> said:

-Goatee
How easy would this be? Sounds like a good cheep mod.

cutlerylover

Banned

I would rahter have that then my current 3led upgrade since I could probably use the original reflector...Anyone know if that would work with the original reflector, giving the light more throw and possible even giving it the ability to focus the beam?