Recommendations for lighter?

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im not a smoker, but I would like a lighter just to have around. I was thinking of a Zippo, or one of those torch ones. Anyone have a favorite vendor I could check out? Thanks

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the most interesting lighters I have in my collection is the jet lighter that runs on regular lighter fluid.

Search ebay under "Beattie Jet Lighter"
-when filled pretty well, one of these puppies can shoot out a very long (6"), narrow 1/8"dia. flame-lasting several seconds.......
cool.gif

-Ya can pick up a decent one for around 10 bucks sometimes....

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
I like those torch type things especially as a non-smoker you can use them to light anything as well as light braizing etc.
Our local Bumper-to-Bumper has them for about $10-$11
I searched ebay for pocket torch and they ranged from .99-$30 {link was very long so maybe didn't work? Just go to ebay and search
smile.gif
}
There are plenty of other choices though. Lots of lighters available with LEDs in them also
smile.gif

i-1.JPG

Or a watch with LEDs and a lighter
Now just put a Swiss army knife and a flashlight on there
grin.gif

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had the plain mirror finish silver Zippo lighter for two or three years, and I like almost everything about it, except for one thing, having to constantly refill it. I'm not a smoker either, and only have cause to use the lighter once or twice a month, especially in the winter months when I'm not outside or camping much. If I let the lighter set for 2-3 weeks, it is invariably dry by the time I want to use it again, I guess the lighter fluid evaporates out. I just tend to keep the lighter fluid close to the Zippo and fill it up monthly or so now.

-Keith

doubleganger

Enlightened
windmill makes several great butane lighters. Mine is is their camper version thats waterproof and in hunter orange so if i drop it it will be easier to find. It's amazeing, you absolutely cannot blow it out.

darkgear.com

Enlightened
Colibri is one of the best. Check out elighters.com to see them all. eBay usually has the best deals on them. Colibri Vortex if you smoke cigars. CX-20 if you just want a cool torch lighter. Colibri Seal for hikers. Trifecta for the ultimate lighting power.

Best regards,
Randy

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Only one butane lighter I have ever had has kept working reliably for years and years; the Dunhill. I got the first one used around 1995 (circa '72; gold finish nearly all rubbed off) for $200 apx. including the repair it needed, (valves, gaskets, a mod to the fill stem to take non-specialized butane canisters) it has worked continuously ever since.
Every Calibri, every micro-torch, the 'mountain sports' lighter, all eventually broke.
I have a recently bought a Windmill 'pancake style' shockproof, so we'll see how long that one lasts..
I just found these Dunhill 'Rolagas' models, I didn't know you could get the Dunhills in non-precious metals -- this is the cheapest price for a new one I have seen, but I haven't fully explored the web for them -

http://www.pipesforless.com/dunrol1.html

D

**DONOTDELETE**

believe me, spend $200-$400 on a lighter, and you'll be vewy careful not to lose it!
wink.gif

Chris T

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by darkgear.com:
Colibri is one of the best. Check out elighters.com to see them all. eBay usually has the best deals on them. Colibri Vortex if you smoke cigars. CX-20 if you just want a cool torch lighter. Colibri Seal for hikers. Trifecta for the ultimate lighting power.

Best regards,
Randy
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I agree that Colibri makes good lighters but not compasses. I have ordered 3 separate Seals and not one of them had a compass that wasn't stuck.
icon13.gif

Chris

Diamond Cut II

Newly Enlightened
To keep from having to refill your Zippo lighters over and over, put some ductape over the felt thing. Know what I'm talkin' about? That way, the fuel won't evaporate(?) as fast.

-DC2

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello V8TOYOTATRK,

I have two favorites.

For around the house and casual use I like the S.T.Dupont X.tend. Beautiful, elegant, slim, and does a great job lighting candles. A definate WOW lighter.

For camping and extreme use I like the Colibri Xtreme CX-10 (no compass). Windproof, waterproof, shock resistant, bulky but holds enough fuel for 2 weeks in the woods with everyday chores and every night WOW use. I only have two issues with this light. The lid only opens to about 100 degrees, it would be nice if it went 180 degrees. The second issue involves extended use. The thumb button gets hot after burning the lighter for a while. This keeps the unit from being used as a stove (a good thing) but makes it a little difficult to light a number of birthday candles (a WOW inhibiter).

Hope you find one (or two) that you like.

Tom

B@rt

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Ted the Led:
believe me, spend $200-$400 on a lighter, and you'll be vewy careful not to lose it!
wink.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">LOL, that has been my philosophy too...
winkie.GIF

I must say it has worked .
grin.gif

I've had a Braun lighter that has worked for me since the early eighties...
Be aware though that many lighter brands are just brand names... I've seen both Windmill and other brands with the same lighter, and I'm not talking about "suspicious" brands here...

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
villagestreetwear_1724_208192611

For $7.99, I've got a bunch of these blowout and wind resistant lighters and they've been working perfectly- Showed it to a friend, who nearly burned himself on it before I gave him a "Whoa! don't do that!", not thinking the glow was very hot, and was about to put his finger over it to see how warm it was..

I also have a bunch of Zippos, but also found them invariably dry whenever I had occasion to use them. Tried tape over the seam, but it didn't work either. They're probably fine for smokers or someone with the need to use them frequently, but that's not my usage pattern...

WaltH

Enlightened
When I was a smoker I found there was no more reliable lighter than a Zippo. Those wind-proof extreme jobs just don't last. I had the colibri and had it repaired twice. It's still not right.

Go for a BIC. If you lose it who cares. And they're darn reliable, and cheap to boot.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never had one of those Colibri types, but I do agree the Zippo is more rugged; I dropped my butane one on a hard floor, and it broke the internal plastic gas tanks, so that was that. Might be able to drive over a Zippo and still have it work afterwards.
What was it that failed on yours? The piezo ignitor or did the jets get clogged up or something?

As in pens and watches, BIC and Timex do the job, no doubt, but just without the fun factor- these other types are more for the non-smokers in it just for the novelty-
smile.gif

If you want a real torch, check out the one from Costco for under $20, it's a microtorch that runs on butane, piezo ignition. Not pocketable, but it's a really nice item that can be locked on for long duration use, probably something that none of the lighters offer. It's freestanding on a stainless steel base, so you don't have to hold it when using it. Very techie looking, and works very well. If I had a choice of one, I'd stick with that, since I don't carry it around anyway. Something every gadgeteer should have-
wink.gif
fcb48f56.jpg