UK noob wanting LED and retailer advice for an old Mag 3D

chiefmcbeef

Newly Enlightened
Hi there!
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, no hard feelings if it needs to be moved!

I have a Mag 3d which I am looking to get an LED drop-in unit for. Only problem is that I live in the UK and so postage from the US is steep via a courier.

Anyway I have my eye on a TerraLUX DB-3W or a nice TerraLUX MaxStar5 since I have found them at http://www.led-replacement.com/ and they ship to the UK on the cheap. Has anyone used them before, also does anyone know of any other places shipping to the UK cheaply?

With regards to the 5w vs 3w terralux, on led-replacement.com I found this in the description for the 5w Maxstar5: "Luxeon K2 does not fade when it gets hot, so its light output holds up"
Does this led get hot and will it require a metal reflector or is the heat dissipation low?

Finally are there any performance differences between the Terralux and Diamond 3w luxeon jobbies or are they the same thing?

Your wise words are appreciated :)

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of my stuff comes from lighthound.com - One of the best flashlight dealers on the planet...excellent service to Americans and us non-Americans.

TerraLUX 3W drop-in $14.99...probably cost you another $5 for shipping

http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1105

Welcome to CPF.
tinfoilhat.gif

CFU

P.S. you may get charged a straight $10 fee for shipping, but don't worry, he will refund any difference.

chiefmcbeef

Newly Enlightened
Hey, thanks for the reply!
Looks like I'll be ordering from Lighthound.com and just have to decide whether I should go with the 3w or the 5w unit.

I've seen the review on Flashlight Reviews of the 3w unit from Diamond and woud like to know how much shorter the runtime of the 5watt unit would be compared to the 3w.

Doesn anyone have a rough idea of runtimes of the 5w in a stock Mag 3D?
I would prefer the 5w but not if the battery life is severely cut compared to using a 3w unit.

Thanks in advance!

chiefmcbeef

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the response, those 3w bulbs use alot of beef if they only give around 2-3 hrs.
I'll go with that instead of the 5w :thumbsup: