OPINIONS ON PELICAN SUPER MITYLITE

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a small xenon light kit caled a Hubbel Lite that "looked" like a Pelican Mitylite last week, but was VERY disappointed with the beam quality. The intensity of the beam was good, but it had all kinds of irregularities and weird patterns in the beam. Can anybody tell me how good the beam quality of the Pelican Mitylite is, and how it stacks up against other lights in it's class? Any input would appreciated...Thanx in advance
grin.gif

PJD

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depending on how old your Hubbelite is it could be something different than a rebadged Pelican. There's a lawsuit going on with Pelican. I think it's with Hubbel. If it's one of the older Hubbels you can get a replacement bulb for the Pelican Super Mitylite and it should fit your light. It will give brighter, whiter light. But don't expect the beam quality to improve much.

DonL

Enlightened
I was a bit underwhelmed by the beam quality of my SML, in spite of it being sufficiently bright for its size, cost, and general purpose. I don't have a real handle on how "blotchy" it is compared to other real small lights, but it reminded me of a Mini Mag, but scaled down a bit.

There are alot of "re-badged" Pelicans sold under the Browning Firearms label.
http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/lites/lites.htm

The only lawsuit information I was able to dig up concerned infringement of the "Pelican" trademark by an electronics company calling their product "Pelican Accessories".
http://www.pelican.com/press_releases/Electro.htm

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fry's Electronics has stocking rods for Mini-Mghtylite regular replacement reflector/lens assemblies for $3.99 and HOLA's for $4.99.

During the last several months of visits to Frys the regular stock rod has been full and the HOLA has been empty. I've been holding out for the HOLA.

I've not used my Mini Mighty Lite for a year when I dropped it. It seems that both by Pelican Mini Mighty-Lite and my Pelican Stealth are far more likely to suffer lens breakage from use than my many other lights.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Wow I didn't know Pelican had such a bad reputation. I just bought a Magnum Plus 2AA and it seems to work quite well.

The beam isn't perfect (a few spots here and there) but the main hotspot is OK. Its definately not as bad as my 2AA Minimag. I'm not sure why they didn't use the far-superior "orange-skin" reflector like those found Surefire and Streamlight units.

As for toughness.. again not bad. I've dropped it twice already but there's not a scratch on it.

The best thing about the Magnum Plus is the switch. Its a bit loud but unlike my Scorpion, its a lot easier to use.

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
someguy,

Pelican does make a faceted reflector assembly. I picked one up at recent gun show and the faceting surprised me. A quick comparison showed that it is very similar in output, hotspot and peripheral lighting to an SF E1.

DonL

Enlightened
I've got a Super MityLite, a Magnum 2AA, a Super PeliLite, a Pocket SabreLite, and a Super SabreLite.

I've never found them to be particularly fragile at all. I lost the bulb in the Super PeliLite after a drop off of an 8' scaffold. Otherwise, no other problems.

V8TOYOTATRK, you may have gotten a flaky bulb or an actual "fragile" Pelican, but mine have all been quite durable and robust. One specimen does not a statistic make.
wink.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

"Pelican does make a faceted reflector assembly"

Yup. Mine came with one.

But because its still made up of little tessellated shapes, the beam still isn't as smooth as it is on my Scorpion.